passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

MAME

Whiskey_chaser

Seems like we’re both working on the same thing at the same time! I fell down a YouTube rabbit hole last night looking at some dude building his own full sized arcade cab. 

I’ve got RetroPie running on a second sd card now so I can swap between without hassle. Will order a second pi towards the end of the month. Set up SSH for easy loading of roms and played some Mario all stars using my wired 360 pad. SNES games look amazing through it! 

Slightly off the topic of MAME, but I figure if anyone knows it's going to be you guys.

Can you recommend anywhere I can get backup ROMs of my SNES games, without having to download a torrent client and giving my PC AIDS? I want to put some on the SNES Mini, but everything I have is currently on my External HDD - the whereabouts of it (and the power cable) are currently unknown...

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Yeah I’ve been looking into cases. There’s a nice looking generic shell and one that looks like a little NES.

BFAB460A-745B-4AA7-BF38-0F4BEDBE9EDF.jpeg

E57C4BF1-9318-4546-BFEB-83F4201E7324.jpeg

I have the top one. It's well made. 

I had retropie all set up with a wireless 8Bitdo SFC30 pad, but I needed the micro SD for my Switch back along so will need to set the whole thing up again at some point when I get another card.  

I only really play SNES games though, and my hacked SNES Mini satisfies those needs perfectly. 

2 hours ago, ThreeFour said:

I'm sure it was 3. Aw man @Chimay you got to get it a shell of some kind ? it's like when you see an animal in poor shape on those sponsor adverts. Breaks my heart seeing it like that ?

It is in a case, it's see through so I think it might be really expensive! 

Wow - getting Mame up and running is a ball ache. Managed to get an older rom-set up and running after a bit of head scratching and downloading a few optional emulators.

Managed to play the Alien arcade game last night - a game I was obsessed with when I was younger. Forgot how much artistic license they had with it! 

You'll be pleased to know my case just arrived. The romset i've had success seems to run ok through MAME4ALL - look for romset 037b5. Most things seem to run ok, though Metal Slug won't run. Currently downloading 0.106 romset so i'll see how they run. I'll give N64 a try later.

I managed to get Mario 64 running earlier, but not very well.

Also managed to get MAME running with KOF98, as @Chimay said, it is a bit of a faff though. More importantly, I got a good selection of SNES Mega Drive and NES games up and running. They run really well, and are really easy to get up and running.

I think I'm going to get that NES case, but the slightly bigger one that has a cooling fan and USB adapters. Really enjoyed setting this up though.

My understanding so far is that the MAME roms are constantly being updated, so non merged romsets (massive downloads featuring everything) are the way to go, but different emulators work with different romsets.

There's more info on which romset works with which emulator. As said earlier, the 0375b5 set works well with MAME4ALL - and 0.106 supposedly works well with AdvanceMame 1.4. If you download the odd ROM from a website it's unlikely it'll work.

More info on it here: https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/MAME

I managed to get MAME running brilliantly last night - ran every game that didn't involve 3D although Virtua Fighter seemed to work ok - though Tekken 1 ran but a slowly. Spent ages firing through some of the classics - Street Fighter, TMNT, Metal Slug, Toobin e.t.c - it's surprising how well they all hold up. It seems the more complex games require a CHD file. If your game needs this, RetroPie is gonna have a bad time.

The main problem is I now have is I've got over 6000 arcade games to sort through!

Managed to get a few Dreamcast games up and running last night - sadly it's  not quite there. Powerstone runs ok but is a tiny bit on the slow side and Crazy Taxi stutters a bit and the sound's all over the place. The emulator's a bit crap - it was a nightmare getting the controls sorted and even then only half of them worked.

Bought a second pi now. 

My original Pi (which was a 3b not the +) which is currently running RetroPie is going to go back to being my NAS/Media server in the default pi case. 

New Pi which is the 3b+ (slightly better cpu I believe) is going to be my RetroPie machine and I’ve also ordered an aluminium heat sync case for it as well meaning it can be overclocked apparently. 

I’m also going to set up RSYNC (replication backup technology not the late 90s boy band) between the two so it’ll take a snapshot of my RetroPie files and back up any changes to the NAS meaning I’ve got a constant recovery. 

I'd be intrigued to see the difference between the two pi's performance wise. My 3b just about manages some dreamcast games so i'd imagine it can run N64 and PS1 games ok?. Setting the second up as a backup seems like an awesome idea - any pointers as to how I go about doing that?

I'm still waiting for my joystick cabinet kit to arrive - i've got some MDF primer and some black spray paint but i just need to confirm the button hole sizes before ordering the guts of it all - decided on going for the more expensive microswitches as it's gonna take a battering from the kids - they're already hooked on 1941 and it's sequels. I've also got the templates for it so was thinking about putting my graphic design skills to use and making an overlay and covering it with a bit of laser cut clear perspex for a bit more durability.

Early days myself with the backup. NasPi is running Open Media Vault which is a prebuilt NAS/Media Server and one of the options in that is RSYNC. It can either pull or push data from other machines using SSH Auth, I think the only tricky bit is the authentication between the two devices, but it is made slightly easier as they are on the same network. 

Tl:dr dunno yet