passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Song of the Deep

illdog

This is an underwater Metroidvania affair by Insomniac Games. It’s the story of a young girl called Merryn who sets off in her submarine in search of her missing father.

The general exploring is fun enough, the map seems huge but you can get about at a fair old rate of knots. Due to its type you come across impassable areas that become open to you later as you progress. The next destination is always represented by a big X on your map which is handy, giving you the option of progression or further exploration. You can also discover warps for fast travel between areas.

The map is littered with treasures, represented on your map by a gem icon. These treasures are mostly in plain site but getting them again depends on your progress. You’re awarded with power ups after beating bosses (although not exclusively) and these power ups can be upgraded via currency gained by collecting these treasures, purchased from a friendly hermit crab vendor who can be found here and there.

So you start of as just a Submarine that has a retractable hook as a weapon. Overtime you gain a boost which is handy at getting through strong currents, torpedoes to shoot enemies at distance, sonar to detect secrets and also the ability to leave your sub to allow you to access thin passages. The sonar, torpedoes, hook and boost can all be upgraded as well as health and “Tyne”. Tyne is a depletable energy that is in place so you can’t constantly spam torpedoes and shit, forcing you to wait for it to slowly recharge itself although by the end this isn’t an issue due to how god like you can become.

Ive finished the game, took me just over 10 hours. To be honest the game varies in quality. The general exploring and progress is fun enough with its relaxing music and Irish lady narrator. The bosses feel like they get easier, I’m sure the first boss gave me the most problems but I was completely powered up at the end and came all over the end game bosses face.

A lot of progress is made by puzzle solving and here’s where the game let itself down in my opinion. It’s not that they always lack invention, it’s just some of the time solving them just isn’t that fun. Sometimes you have to push and pull barrels or mines through areas littered with potential peril and fucking this up at the last minute means going back to the spawn area of the item and starting the whole thing again. Other times there are instant death mechanics in place and they are rarely anything but frustrating. 

The other thing that that annoyed me was when you learn the ability to leave your submarine (as you learn to breathe underwater) the camera can zoom in far too close or the character can get a little lost behind foreground scenery.

I managed to soft lock myself once. Very nearly a second time but after about 5 minutes of fucking around I managed to free myself from a self imposed trap.

It does have charm (there’s that word again) and I did enjoy it overall but it lacks excitement, I was ready for the end (of the game, not my life) after 10 hours. 

I think I only paid £4 for it, worth it for that price but it won’t change your life.