passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dandara

HandsomeDead

I've seen no mention of this game yet.  Like a lot of games like this, it was pushed a bit on the Switch store but it's out on pretty much everything.

I thought it looked really damn cool so I bought it.

So its a platform kind of game but you don't move in the traditional way.  You use the analogue stick to point yourself in the way you want to go and you zip there with a direct trajectory.  It's a game you have to really learn from scratch as it's not quite like anything else.  When combat is introduced it does vaguely (very vaguely) remind me of PN.03 and I'll take anything that gives me the feeling that game did.  Your shot can be aimed the same way as the jump but it has a very short range, though it does have a bit of a spread.  It means you really have to get in there to defeat enemies and it makes you really learn this kind of movement the hard way.

Yeah, the game is pretty hard, babies.

It's kinda preposterous with the plot.  As it says in the trailer: "explore a directionless world", and a lot of the messaging in the game is this on the nose.  So far I've inspired an artist and a musician to help me and their assistance actually moves parts of the world.  But its so earnest I love it.  And the one boss I've fought is basically M. Bison's (Dictator for our Japanese readers) disembodied head.

There so many games like this at the moment so I think its got lost but I would say it's worth trying.  It's a cool game.

Wasn’t there a lot of warping around in Ori and the Blind Forest? Is it anything like that?

I like the look of this so I’ll be adding it to my Nintendo eshop watchlist. If memory serves Dandara was developed in Brazil right? I’ve heard it has a kind of unique feeling because of that.

9 hours ago, radiofloyd said:

Wasn’t there a lot of warping around in Ori and the Blind Forest? Is it anything like that?

yeah you can do a sort of warping move in ori but it's not something you can do on demand so looks quite different from this, from the video above - actually it looks very different, ori is more standard platforming with some cool moves and stuff (and totally awesome).

• 5 months later...
On 17/02/2018 at 15:30, DifferentClass said:

Yeah, the game is pretty hard, babies.

You're not kidding, it's fucking brutal.

On 17/02/2018 at 15:30, DifferentClass said:

And the one boss I've fought is basically M. Bison'

My thoughts exactly, made me lulz.

It's part of Xbox's Game Pass so I thought i'd give it a try, it's very addictive like I find all Metroidvania types. At first i hated the 'point and shoot' movement but now i'm zipping around like a greased Scotsman. I've beat the first boss and moved in to the next area and i'm getting my ass handed to me. Maybe i'm not as good at moving around as I thought.

It's got a Dark Souls element, though here you collect Salt. You die, you lose your salt, you end up back at your last campsite (where you can heal) and you have to venture back throught the hazards whence you came. You can find your ghostly body and get back your salt. Salt is used to buy health uprades, special weapon upgrades and whatever else the game decides to make it do later.

Onward.

This games a bit naughty.

I got to the second boss and killed it on my fourth attemp. The area that this boss dwelled in was tough to navigate with it's obstacles and tricky enemies and I had no doubts that it was a case of hot tailing it out of this bit of the game and on to the next. However, the thing you get when you kill the second boss just makes the game harder. It keeps shutting doors in my face, actually blocking off routes as I'm going throught them. It shut me off from one route, so I plotted a course around that and it blocked me off on my way through there too. So i turned the fucking game off because honestly it's just being a cunt for no reason.

I put it back on because I was so wound up it's all I could think about. Found yet another way past, got a weapon that I can't find a use for, got to a campsite that makes gets me nearly out of this horrible back track and it chucks another boss at me on the way out. For fucks sake. My new campsite is close to the boss but not that close. And it's fucking perilous. Asshole of a game.

Man, it's a fucker. But it has that addictive quality that I always find in these types of games, i just want to keep exploring, leveling up and getiing better at the game. I just beat that boss too. I love it when you go from '"this is fucking impossible" to "yes! Fuck you!" in a few goes.