passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Secret of Mana

illdog

oh and packing up everything in my flat to move.

Just get Emma to do all that, she won't mind, tell her i said its ok.

yeah, but you might wanna consider leaving the country for a few days if i tell her that.

she doesn't know where i live.....does she..!?! :unsure:

man, i wanna get in on this mana action..

• 2 weeks later...

Finally booted this up the other day and it's not bad so far. I've had the sound up, due to the fear that illdog will hunt me down if I didn't, but nothing has really grabbed me yet.

Even so I'm very early on, just got kicked out of the village so right at the start.

Finally booted this up the other day and it's not bad so far. I've had the sound up, due to the fear that illdog will hunt me down if I didn't, but nothing has really grabbed me yet.

Even so I'm very early on, just got kicked out of the village so right at the start.

If you were about 16 and this game had just come out this would be one of the greatest days of your life. Sad as that is...

• 2 months later...

3 months later and I restarted this, and I'm impressed though I am getting my arse kicked, though re-reading the thread may explain why.

I haven't used any magic attacks at all I think, or are we talking about the charging-up-sword-attacks thing? Basically, I've been waiting for the bar to get to 100% each time and then smacking the enemy, backing off till it goes back up and so on.

My two party members are currently unconscious and so I can't level them up as I haven't got any of the potions you need to get them back. My sword is pretty nifty, but am I right that you have to swap your weapons round a bit to grind them up, or is it not worth bothering?

As I mentioned to ill earlier tonight, the only real gripe I have is that a map screen would make things so much easier to understand where I am in relation to where I'm going, or maybe a quest screen telling me what my current objective is.

The story hasn't grabbed me yet, but the music is great and I'm enjoying hitting things with a big piece of metal.

My sword is pretty nifty, but am I right that you have to swap your weapons round a bit to grind them up, or is it not worth bothering?

You sure do have to swap them around to level them up. I reccommend the bow and the whip with all characters as the bow gets pesky enemies from afar and the whip is needed at certain points o cross gaps.

Magic wise is only usable when you obtain a sprite. There are one for each element. These are also grindable across all characters.

That could be a problem then, as my sprite is permanently unconscious. On that note, check out my wild imagination when naming the characters. "What will you name the sprite?" S_P_R_I_T_E. "SPRITE. Is that ok?" Yes.

"What will you name the lady?" L_A_D_Y. "LADY. Is that ok?" Yes.

Would you recommend some level grinding for the other characters and the weapons for a while on some low level enemies?

That could be a problem then, as my sprite is permanently unconscious. On that note, check out my wild imagination when naming the characters. "What will you name the sprite?" S_P_R_I_T_E. "SPRITE. Is that ok?" Yes.

"What will you name the lady?" L_A_D_Y. "LADY. Is that ok?" Yes.

Would you recommend some level grinding for the other characters and the weapons for a while on some low level enemies?

Ok, the sprite your refering to is the playable character, im talking bout the magic summoning dudes. These guys are accessed via the ring sytem menu, theres a fire one, earth one (looks like a gnome), water one (udin or summink) and you cast various types of spells with them, like healing, restraint and good old destruction. Youll know when you have one, im sure the water one is first. I need to get on this and refresh the brain.

And yes, dont grind to ridiculous levels but always get what you can out of a decently populated enemy territory.

• 1 year later...

Very nearly bought that last night but stopped myself and booted up the VC version.

I'm as far as the witch's castle if that helps, got to a fire-breathing cunt of a boss.

The problem I've been having is my party members keeping dying because they're really weak and so they can't level up and round and round it goes. The cure potions to bring them back are quite expensive so most of the time I've been going round pretty much on my own.

I notice that you can press the shoulder buttons to become them, should I be level grinding as them or leave them to it?

They most certainly need to be grinded Mr H, that will be your problem then. 3 characters, 6 weapons, 6 spells? Thats alot of grinding!

Just try to get them strong with a particlar weapon and a particular spell, they become pretty handy.

How do you use magic? All I've been using so far is their weapons which might explain a lot.

Spent 2 hours (!) last night doing nothing more than taking WOMAN (for that is her name, I was thinking of Animal from the Muppets when naming her) out of the safe save screen and killing an eye and two other enemies with her bow and arrow and then returning, repeat for two hours.

How do you use magic? All I've been using so far is their weapons which might explain a lot.

Its on the ring system menu. Have you got yourself a magic sprite yet?

Ok, the sprite your refering to is the playable character, im talking bout the magic summoning dudes. These guys are accessed via the ring sytem menu, theres a fire one, earth one (looks like a gnome), water one (udin or summink) and you cast various types of spells with them, like healing, restraint and good old destruction. Youll know when you have one, im sure the water one is first. I need to get on this and refresh the brain.

I have Sprite, the character. I don't remember being told anything in the game about magic sprites.

Because it's been so long since I last played I don't know how early I am into it.

Found a guide with all the levels in order, I've bolded where I am.

2.1 Returning home

2.2 The journey begins...

2.3 Pandora and Gaia's Navel

2.4 Dwarf Village

2.5 Haunted Forest and Elinee's Castle

2.6 Undine, the Water Elemental

2.7 The Underground Palace

2.8 The mystery of Pandora

2.9 The Water Seed

2.10 The Upper Land and Sylphid

2.11 Matango and the White Dragon

2.12 The Ice Country and Ice Palace

2.13 The Desert and the Sandship

2.14 Kakkara and the Fire Palace

2.15 Southtown and Northtown

2.16 The Northtown Castle

2.17 A couple of side quests...

2.18 Journey up the Lofty Mountains

2.19 The Palace of Darkness

2.20 The Gold Isle and Golden Tower

2.21 The Moon Palace

2.22 Tasnica

2.23 The test of courage

2.24 The Tree Palace

2.25 The Mana Palace

2.26 The Grand Palace

2.27 The Pure Land

2.28 The Mana Fortress

So really early on then. :(

I might not have got to the magic bits yet.

• 7 years later...

This is a remake of my favourite game and I’m also Mr Easily Pleased so there was never much doubt I was going to quite like this.

Its got a nice graphical overhaul, it’s a very simplistic looking game, pixels have now become smooth edges. The music sounds great, fills me with nostalgia obviously and the gameplay is exactly the same.

Manas hook back in the day was the ring menu system, instead of text menus you press the menu button then up or down to go through different “quick” screens, one for weapons, consumables, magic etc.

Ive put in about an hour, just met the chick (default name: Primm) and I’ve spent a bit of time levelling us both up. You can switch weapons between characters and level each weapon up with each character, same with magic and I get a bit OCD with that shit. I’ve got routines to stick to you see.

Enjoying it so far, thought I’d drop my initial impressions down whilst dropping a Todd.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

The footage I watched the other week looked really weird, like they couldn’t be arsed to animate the character’s faces. One guy is stuck with a baring teeth glare.

One of the reviews mentioned the animation was awful. I'd quite happily buy the original for good money if it ever came to the Nintendo shop.