passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Xbox Game Pass

retroed

That's actually a fantastic idea to be fair. I mean, like you said, there's not many exclusives due out, but the fact these games will be included from the off is more For The Players than anything Sony has done over the last few years.

I'll wait to see if the Forza Horizon games are included going forward (not sure if they count as Microsoft Studios or not), but that definitely adds a cherry onto what was already a tempting prospect.

For £8 access a month to over 100 games (that you actually download to the HDD to play, not just stream a la PS Now), plus access to Halo 6, Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon, Forza Motorsport, possibly Ori and The Will of the Wisps as and when they come out, it's fantastic. There's a mix of some of the best games of last gen on there (see the Bioshock trilogy) along with random games from this gen. I'm not the biggest of Microsoft fans (never finished a single Halo or GoW game), but even I can see the great value in this idea.

It's like Netflix releasing new content every few months AND bringing it out on DVD/Blu-ray separately. It's just another option to play games, like that's another option to see their content.

The ONLY reason I haven't subbed to it and play games exclusively through that is because I've got so fucking many other games to get through.

3 minutes ago, Nag said:

A couple of over things that I'm not sure on with service... when a game leaves Xbox games pass, can you still play it if it's already on your hdd? And does any dlc come along with the game?

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/billing/xbox-subscriptions/xbox-game-pass-faq#2f1d8e1f8b274bb19aa934b6fed0dfe5

If I download a game, can I access it after it leaves the catalog?

Once a title leaves the Xbox Game Pass catalog, you will need to insert a disc, purchase a digital copy from the Microsoft Store, or obtain another form of entitlement (like a trial) to continue playing. Remember, Xbox will notify users at least one month prior to a game leaving the Xbox Game Pass catalog. And, as a member, you can purchase any Xbox One game in the Xbox Game Pass catalog for 20% off (or the best available discounted price) to continue playing a game once it leaves the catalog.

Do I buy DLC separately?

Yes. Members can purchase DLC at 10% off the retail price (or the best available discounted price) for Xbox One games while the game is within the Xbox Game Pass catalog.

No to both it looks like...

I look at it like this. You're a kid or poor. You can't afford to pay for many retails games a year, but £8 a month will allow you to sample as much as you want. It's going to allow you to take risks on games you would never otherwise play. Exactly how many games do you think £96 would get you if you bought everything when it hit the service? This is the logical step forwards.

Imagine how it would effect the market. They get a constant source of income. It pushes them to make better games so people don't deviate from their stuff, maybe even supporting and creating more stuff for their games to keep people invested. Also imagine if it was the thick end of the consoles library? You could do stuff like book clubs. everyone would have the same library so you could all play something different should someone get bored.

The ONLY potential negative I can see, is that they might do a limited release on new games, like a month or two, then take it off the service. But all that does is give you a taste of the game and hopefully convince you to buy it, which I'm sure is what Microsoft would prefer anyway. Like a timed demo. 

If they don't do that, and it stays on the service for 6 months, a year, whatever, then that's even better.

In a way he's not wrong, but then again how many games could you play for £8 in a month? Fucking hell in my summer holidays as a kid I'd have played everything they had to offer.

I've got a lot of criticism for MS, they've been downright awful this generation, but there's sparkles like this that make me think at least they're trying. You'd have to be super blinkered to say it's not a great way of delivering games.

Seriously, even if those new releases are only up for a few weeks that's enough time for most to see through to the end.

To offer some cynicism, because I do think this and EA Access are good deals for the most part. If I was a big corporation and was doing a service like thing, I'd make more games that had other, sellable content in the, be that costumes, maps, characters, loot, whatever, just something that would let this act as a gateway. Basically, everything I'd do from now on would have a multiplayer component and customisation 

31 minutes ago, Nag said:

It'll be at least a month, Microsoft... damned if they do, damned if they don't.

It's not an unfair criticism from me to say I think the games will be there a month on release. If anything I think that'd be smart on their part, convince people to buy the game when it comes off again!

Like I said, if I didn't have so much in the backlog I'd be all over this.

Ahh ok. I think this is one of the few times where you have to hold your hands up and say Holy Fuck, Microsoft, well played! 

Just had another look at that link and you can even play games offline for up to 30 days. That'd be fantastic for me when I'm admitted into hospital...

I'm now officially torn for what to take with me next time I go in.

I think Game Pass as a concept is a great idea. If it was available on W10 I’d sign up for it but it won’t convince me to buy an Xbox again - the only thing that would tempt me into that is the UHD BD Player - once the S gets dirt cheap.

I just think this announcement - essentially adding another 3-5 games a year to a service that lets you play tens/hundreds a year - is a bit of a non-announcement really.

Its like, yeah that’s great and all but until you’re putting out many more exclusives people other than Xbox fans care about then it doesn’t really matter if they’re on Game Pass or not.

13 minutes ago, Blakey said:

It's like, yeah that’s great and all but until you’re putting out many more exclusives people other than Xbox fans care about then it doesn’t really matter if they’re on Game Pass or not.

You could replace that with Switch or PS4 fans and it would have exactly the same sentiment. Imagine if there was a similar service on PlayStation where you could play God of War on release without shelling out for it. Or Pokemon on Switch.

Only PlayStation/Switch fans respectively would be interested in that but it's still a fucking awesome thing to have on your console.

And it's not JUST for the few MGS games that have already been announced, it's for all of the games that WILL be announced in the future too. 

I listed 6 games on the last page and didn't include State of Decay 2. There's 7, for what? Less than the price of 3 full price games over a year?

Nintendo/PlayStation Game seems would have more pull in a service like this because people outside of the Xbox ecosystem actually care about those games.

Imagine telling your mate at work that TLOUP2 was on PS Now or Smash Bros. on Nintendo Pass, she/he’d practically run out and buy the nearest PS4/Switch she/he could find. Now replace TLOUP2/Smash with Crackdown 3 and I think you’d get a shrug of the shoulders.

There was 3 games on the tweet on the page before that’s where I got that. It’s good, but it’s just another 5-7 games in a service that that has 100s. Good news, but not particularly awe inspiring news to those that aren’t besotted with their xboxes.