passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Monster Hunter World

DisturbedSwan

Got my copy early so gave this a go this afternoon after I finished The Inpatient.

Starts off similarly to a lot of Monster Hunters, getting you into your camp quite quickly after a few scripted sequences, tutorials and lots of cutscenes.

Spent awhile honing my character - went for my traditional ginger lady, had to change her hair as soon as I was able to in camp though as it just looked shite.

Went for a tour of the camp and tried to take in where everything is, there’s definitely a lot to take in but I remember quite a bit of the layout already. 

Chose my weapon - went for the Insect Glaive. Tried it out in the training room afterwards and had an absolute blast with it, felt like Dante or Bayonetta or some shit, I was doing aerial gymnastics like nobodies business. Went on a quest after this to kill some jagras which was incredibly simple, cool to finally get to do my first quest.

As soon as I finished all the online stuff opened up, I didn’t even realise the servers were online yet. Messed about a bit with the squads and checking out the new gathering hall which is fantastic. 

I’ve created a squad for us by the way, it’s called MFGamers - unsurprisingly - if you search for it whenever y’all get the game it should pop up, if not send me a message and I’ll invite you.

Hardly got into it really, but it looks and feels phenomenal so far, cannot wait to get truly stuck in to some tough monsters in my next session.

3A5CF686-6847-4CFD-B9DA-BE3CA447101E.jpeg

E796A3EC-351E-45CC-BAB1-FBE734DB801F.jpeg

Here's me. Another female. Bedtime now, I've not chosen my weapon yet, but am thinking of going for the dual blades although I could change my mind by tomorrow. Looks great for such a small filesize. 15GB including day one patch.

IMG_20180126_015026.jpg

Took down my first Great Jagras before I had to leave for work, and can confirm that it's a ton of fun to play. 

I went sword and shield in the end, it was that or the dualies, and am quite happy with my choice thus far. 

8 hours ago, Sambob said:

So it seems like you have to play through the story before you can do the online stuff, and then you need some weird code to do it?

Yeah you have to go through a couple of basic hunts and the tutorial/camp set up before you can go online, it’s not long though, maybe 40 minutes.

The online is really odd though, from the Beta I got the impression you can match make and find folks for whatever quest you’re starting but that hasn’t been the case. It’s still archaic in that regard, posting a Quest then hoping randoms show up, the whole online sessions stuff complicates things more too.

I think the Long Sword gets more moves the further you fill the spirit gauge. The weapons don't have a lot of moves, it's more based around stringing combinations together that flows into each other as well as giving you time to disengage. I actually think the fade slash is actually an attack and a disengage, again you're going to rely on @DifferentClass and @Sambob for info there.

Im 100% going with the switch axe, it looks like a great mix between the solid damage of the great sword and the mobility and speed/reach of the long sword, and the animations look fucking awesome!!!

My package has gone from delivery today to delivery Monday and id set aside Sunday to play it, so im going to have to cancel with Amazon and then get it in a shop.

In knew @Nag wouldn't make it. My other one is @retroed, little to no chance of seeing the end of it. I'll donate £20 to charity if he get all the missions crossed off and gets his HR to start working like XP.

Prove me wrong, that's a serious wager. No getting carried by people from the other forum you visit. Just you, the people from here and the will and determination to put me £20 down to one the the charity shops that have a shop in Leeds. Maybe even get the person behind the counter to deface the cover of my game with a thank you towards Ed for doing it.

2 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

In knew @Nag wouldn't make it. My other one is @retroed, little to no chance of seeing the end of it. I'll donate £20 to charity if he get all the missions crossed off and gets his HR to start working like XP.

Prove me wrong, that's a serious wager. No getting carried by people from the other forum you visit. Just you, the people from here and the will and determination to put me £20 down to one the the charity shops that have a shop in Leeds. Maybe even get the person behind the counter to deface the cover of my game with a thank you towards Ed for doing it.

Actually, hang on. What makes you think I won't finish this? (Other than the reasons I put in my other reply.)

So what do I think? Honestly, I think they've done an awful job of making the start an easy on ramp. It's boring. The scout flies aren't explained very well when you fight Great Jagras, even though I knew what I was doing it's still not very clear. Everything feels very clumsy. I like the voice overs apart from in the cut scenes where nothing matches up, all the characters look like their licking peanut butter off their teeth. Characters are unlikable. Hub city is fucking massive for no discernible reason other than they could do it so they have. I've not been to the multiplayer hub yet, but I hope to god there's not as much running about between the places frequently hit.

They've jumped the gun, the progression to fighting the bigger monster should feel built up to. Now you're thrown to the big monsters and they just fall over. It feels wrong, the first big monster should give you problems, it should make you rethink how you position and fight against it, it shouldn't be like beating a down syndrome kid with jumper cables., just point towards it and tap triangle or circle. I get it, they wanted an easier on ramp for people new to the series. I didn't realise it was going to be a disability ramp. 

In short, it's boring. It's not a full taster of what's to come. I had 2 hour to have at it and I came off before I had to. It's that boring. Got to plough through these early courses to get to the meaty delights that's within, but initial impression are that they've fucked the beginning again.

They pissed about with the Gunlance since the beta too. I don't know if it's for better or worse, for general poking it's going to make it easier, but for the overhead smash and money shot it's going to be something you physically have to input. Maybe it was intentional to stop people spamming triangle and accidentally pushing into the longer combo that will open you up to eating a plate full of shit.

Really liking the way you can ready up without having to check out of a gate, that's going to make the general menu juggling and waiting on people to get themselves in order loads easier. There's a lot of QoL improvements that a lot of people won't notice since they're new to the series, and I am digging those lots. All the trinket options too, like being able to have no helmet showing are cool if you're that into seeing your characters mush.

Monster Hunter games are a marathon, and to lay into it too hard because it got the first steps wrong is a bit of a waste of time. Everything is probable to change for the better. For now it's stroked my Palico the wrong way. Also where the fuck is Poogie and Guildmarm?

I've known you over a decade @retroed, you like buying and selling games and maybe occasionally playing them before moving onto the next purchase. ;)