passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Metal Gear Survive

DisturbedSwan

Tech Advisor Impressions

The game is very solid and has a lot of available content. Your character levels up and unlocks new talents as you progress through the game. There were a few mechanics I didn’t get to see, such as farming and the personnel management at the base which provides even more things to get your teeth into.

While some of these activities are certainly enjoyable, I can’t help but feel there is a lot of busy work required before you can progress through the story. Perhaps this gets better later, but finding food on top of scavenging for materials so you can actually play the game gets a lot less interesting after you’ve done it for the fifth time.

Despite that, fans of Metal Gear V will feel right at home here with the game’s tone and feel. The wanderers being dangerous up close, and a need to be more tactical makes a nice difference to other zombie titles that encourage you to hack and slash. If you’re a fan of zombie games or metal gear, you really can’t go wrong with this one.

PC Gamer Impressions

The zombies—called wanderers in Survive—are way less interesting to sneak around and toy with than MGS5's soldiers. This is likely due to their sheer numbers and hivelike mentality. During an operation in which I had to retrieve some data from a two-story building surrounded by the things, I managed to sneak into the building using cover from storage crates flanking its sides. But when I stepped outside, a zombie spotted me from my second floor position and alerted the dozen or so wandering the lot to my presence within seconds. They huddled on the ground level, scurrying around and screaming at me. I tossed a few crystal chunks (they're distracted by the stuff they're made of) and sprinted to safety.

Moments in the trailer and a quick look at the skill tree hints at bigger combos and much better weapons, but I'm not convinced that slowly progressing into a melee machine is what I want from a game built in the shell of a stealth sandbox masterpiece. It's also possible to lay down obstacles like chain link fences to slow zombie assaults, but fussing around with the item menus before struggling to place an object in a space that the game allows for isn't nearly as fun as outsmarting them would be. (I will admit that poking zombies in the head through a fence with a sharp stick is pretty satisfying though.)

The moment-to-moment exploration between awkward combat encounters is a different story. Every activity orbits your base, which begins as a patch of debris in the shadow of a Mother Base replica, torn to bits and half submerged in the dunes and rock of the arid alternate dimension. Here you can construct weapons, gadgets, and building materials at a few work benches, or if you're hungry (and you will be) there's a fire for meal prep. If you don't cook your meat or clean your water, you can get some nasty debuffs.

Nearly every object in the world can either be collected or broken down into resource components—iron and wood mostly—which can then be stored at your base for use in building anything from bows to sandbags. Over time you can build up your bases defenses, which will be necessary once the wanderer hordes start showing up. Otherwise, with the right plans and resources, you can build anything from a small garden to a water purifier. You'll also find survivors out in the world that speed up operations, though I had no such luck.

Whether or not Metal Gear Survive will be worth playing depends on how it steers its survival game systems towards the much more playful sandbox of Metal Gear Solid 5. Maybe the zombie AI is more complex than I know, and stealth plays a much bigger role in the long term. Maybe the melee combat feels better with a few new combos and weapons unlocked. Maybe The Dust is hiding some fascinating secrets beneath all that fog. I hope so, because right now Metal Gear Survive is just a functional survival game built in the shell of one of our favorite stealth games ever. I'm not expecting a sexy vampire villain to show up or any 45-minute monologues on the ethics of private military corporations. I just hope I can destroy the minds of my enemies with more than a blunt object.

Download the beta and give it a go @Sly Reflex only way you’ll know for sure. I’ll jump on with you tomorrow if you’re free.

I played about 100 minutes of it earlier.

You get thrown in at the deep end, there are tutorials but they aren’t very in depth and you’ve got to figure out what a lot of the stuff does for yourself.

And boy is there a lot of stuff. So first you’ve got the mission waiting area which is this blank white virtual lobby type deal, here you can try out weapons, craft items from the various craft tables - food/drink, weapons, protective supplies ie. fences, barriers, turrets - select supply missions and pick up supplies from the storehouse. There was also an option to return to base camp but that was unavailable.

So the meat of what’s available in th Beta is the supply missions. You enter a mission of varying difficulty, make your way to a set location killing enemies along the way and picking up the all important supplies. Once you get there a warp hole machine fires up which then sends hordes of enemies to your presence, you then have to hold out for 3 waves of enemies before you can finish the mission.

You can put up fences, barriers, sand bags, turrets etc. To fight off the Zombie-like enemies and you also have access to gun emplacements around the area - which quickly run out of ammo - and the bipedal walker turret from MGSV if you have enough crystals to unlock it.

Everything you do is governed by the crystal currency and you seem to get it from absolutely everything, whenever you get a kill, whenever you get a certain rank on a wave and you can also find them scattered around the mission area to break up which your pipe/machete and collect. You also use them to level up and unlock skills from your skill tree so there’s a balancing act there whether you want to spend them levelling up or on vital supplies.

As far as loot goes, you get more of it the higher your collective score in the mission, so an S rank will get tons more good shit than a D rank. But you still seem to get a reasonable amount even if you don’t do brilliantly, but it’s unsure whether they did this just for the beta or not.

I played one of these supply missions on my own and had an alright time but then played with 3 other randoms and had an absolute blast, it was just a ton of fun. It is definitely horde mode but in an MG guise but if you like those types of games, the EDF’s, the Killing Floor’s etc. Of this world then I think you’ll like this. I even think folks who like State of Decay and Destiny may be able to scratch certain itches from this.

It wasn’t available in the beta, but I assume all the supplies you collect in the supply missions can also be invested back into your base camp to make it bigger and better as time goes on, I assume you’ll have some kind of base camp alert when it’s being attacked or a new story mission is available in the full game.

If it was a full priced game I’d probably give it a wide birth, but at £23 I think it’s worth a go, even if I only get 15-30 hours out of it I’ll have got my money’s worth.

907397BD-EF68-4360-A44A-00161DE46903.jpeg

2BC5FDB0-9D07-45FD-A061-A1DDAC08D52C.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Everything I've seen of it in videos does look bad to me, but the whole meter-managjng survival thing is one of my least favourite game mechanics. I can't wait for it to go out of fashion.

MGSV was the first time a Metal Gear game looked particularly appealing to me. I don't think this is all that similar?

30 minutes ago, Craymen Edge said:

MGSV was the first time a Metal Gear game looked particularly appealing to me. I don't think this is all that similar?

It’s actually very similar in lots of regards. The controls feel just as good as MGSV, that tight stealth-action unique MGS feel is replicated here perfectly. The way you infiltrate facilities in MGSV by approaching it anyway you like is similar here too, you very much have to adapt, learn and plan on the fly or you’ll become a cropper.

The entire look of the game is very similar too as they’re both Fox Engine games.

The differences are the enemies - they’re not all the Zombie ‘wanderers’ don't worry - and obviously the 3 survival gauges - Hunger, Thirst and Oxygen - the latter of which you only need to worry about when in the fog. The Base Camp management is similar to Mother Base in someways but is still quite different too.

At the beginning of the game the survival mechanics feel really tough and it keeps the action when outside your base super tense as a result, you get paranoid about being able to find food or water or you drop dead. But as you go through the single player you unlock more mechanics at your base that mean you don’t really have to worry about the survival aspects as much.

Konami didn’t market who this game very well at all, we all assumed prerelease that it was a MGS flavoured horde mode shooter with a tacked on single player. But actually the opposite is true, the single player is the ‘meat’ of the game whereas the co-op online horde mode is a fun, dumb side distraction.

10 minutes ago, mr lakitu said:

It’s not like it looks fun and he’s negging on it @Blakey. It looks boring and he’s agreeing with most people that reflect the same opinion.

Most people that reflect the same opinion have never played the game and spent the past 2ish years since it’s announcement laughing at it, disliking any gameplay videos on YouTube, shouting fuck Konami from the highest roof tops and shitting on anyone who liked a Beta, what they saw in a preview or the game itself.

Dunkey makes a living off the ‘LULZ THIS GAME LOOKS SHIT ?’ internet mob culture mentality I’m afraid, he’s done it time and time again, sticking the boot into a game when it’s down, did exactly the same with another fantastic game last year, Mass Effect Andromeda, and countless others.

Dunkey is a no talent hack, anyone can put on a funny voice and do VO over some shitty gameplay footage.

The Mrs Browns Boys of YouTube.

it might be, but putting up fences and poking at zombies with a stick doesn't look too appealing. I've watched a couple of hours of gameplay at this point, that's largely all the combat has been (there's a few more attacks to unlock and some "stealth" kills from what I've seen). It certainly doesn't seem to merit comparison to MGSV beyond the engine and character movement, not in the way of what people go to Metal Gear for at least

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it gets better once you get further in, get some reward for the effort early on. It doesn't seem to deserve diving in front of bullets for but I haven't played it, maybe I'd change my tune if I had

@mr lakitu please don't start making things worse

3 hours ago, Blakey said:

Dunkey is a no talent hack, anyone can put on a funny voice and do VO over some shitty gameplay footage.

Nonsense. Go make a video yourself on a game and be as funny as he frames and edits stuff to see how hard it is., making mundane footage fun to watch is really difficult. The guy has a talent for it,  you're just being pissy because it's having a pop at something you like.

18 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

Nonsense. Go make a video yourself on a game and be as funny as he frames and edits stuff to see how hard it is., making mundane footage fun to watch is really difficult. The guy has a talent for it,  you're just being pissy because it's having a pop at something you like.

I'm no video editor, so I couldn't make a video like he does, it would probably require minimal effort though, maybe 1-2 days of editing and VO, he's a hack, not exactly difficult in this day and age. The likes of Matt Lees have more talent in their pinky toe than he does.

I bet he's been rubbing his hands together for months at the very thought of covering MGSU, thinking what kind of 'jokes' he can tar the game with.

Tons like him on YT that do what he does, clickbait videos just to get your clicks and give the public baying for blood something to sink their teeth into.

I get pissy because of the ignorance, misnomers and general myths he and many others perpetuate in his videos, not because he's having a pop at something I like. It adds needless fuel to the already huge vehement hatred and 'LULZ' culture that the internet and YT thrive over. 

This sensationalist tabloid-esque culture where information, real thoughts, editorials and reviews on a game don't matter, it's the likes of Dunkey going 'LUL Look at this shitty game LUL' that people care about, it's fucking pathetic quite frankly and it does my fucking head in.

Saw it with ME: Andromeda, saw it again with Shadow of War and BF2, seen it with MGSU. Folks should be free to enjoy the games their playing without getting harassed or belittled because someone else who has seen an exaggerated 5 minute video of said game thinks its shit and wants Konami to burn in hell. That's literally what the discussion of MGSU and other games like it has come down to, people don't believe what people they've known/conversed with/are mates with say at all, instead they believe some cockwomble on YT that perpetuates their already dim view of a game.