passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mario Tennis Aces

radiofloyd

Nintendo has announced Mario Tennis Aces for Switch. It will launch this spring. 

Here is an overview of the game, via Nintendo:

A new Mario Tennis game is bringing a new level of skill and competition to Nintendo Switch. Mario steps onto the court in classy tennis garb for intense rallies against a variety of characters in full-blown tennis battles. New wrinkles in tennis gameplay will challenge your ability to read an opponent’s position and stroke to determine which shot will give you the advantage. And this time the game adds the first story mode since the Mario Tennis game on Game Boy Advance, offering a new flavor of tennis gameplay, with a variety of missions and boss battles.

https://gematsu.com/2018/01/mario-tennis-aces-announced-switch

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Mario Tennis Aces New Screenshots And Details

All-Around Characters

All-Around characters, which include Mario, Luigi, and Daisy, have well-rounded characteristics, as the type’s name implies. This character type is a great one to start with and master, since they have no glaring weaknesses: their shots are solid and their speed is good, allowing them to traverse the court proficiently.

Of course, this isn’t to say that all characters in the same category play the same. Luigi, for example, has slightly weaker shots than Mario, but has phenomenal volleys and is a force to be reckoned with up at the net.

Technical Characters

Technical characters in Mario Tennis Aces include Peach and Toadette. Both of these characters have excellent ball control, are able to easily hit to the far corners of the court, have great footwork, and look fabulous in pink.

Technical characters are my personal favorite characters to play as because they are great for hitting the ball juuuust out of reach of your opponents, particularly once you have gotten a read on how your opponent tends to move. Their Zone Shots and Special Shots may not be as fast as those of some other character types, but they certainly make those standard shots count! And the longer you keep a rally going, the more chances you have at storing up your Energy for some of those souped-up Special Shots.

Every character has a bit of a quirk to how they play, and some traits that fall outside of a character’s class, such as their height and weight, can affect how well they can counter a type of shot or strategy. So, start thinking about what your own play style might be, and how well these characters might complement that, but save your final picks for when you can try them out for yourself after the game launches.

Next time, we’ll cover Defensive characters and Powerful characters, which include…Chain Chomp! Hope you’re chomp-ing at the bit for the next part. See you soon!

7DD29683-D591-4A23-B5F3-E4897DE6A8E4.png

F97E8C66-E099-4601-BA06-6DEB618E3FD9.png

16C6534B-C6A6-42A1-BCBA-27346D5E7966.jpeg

3634471B-149C-4C9D-81D5-50ECEC7B8C2E.jpeg

8DB87A72-A37E-45BC-B7AD-5322A6A90295.jpeg

8A2DB3AB-0164-4A88-814A-B492A67BAF8F.jpeg

ED201F2B-FB35-4B22-8B6F-53E645816331.jpeg

7A258A35-548A-47F4-BAED-8E9AB193F468.jpeg

3FD6B199-9A46-46EC-9AB2-5A9AF7613251.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Played an awful lot of this this afternoon, couldn’t put it down!

It is so ridiculously addictive, every time I thought about stopping and playing more Hyrule Warriors I’d be like ‘just one more go, I’ll do better in the tournament next time’.

Did reasonably well, I’m not amazing or anything but I’m competent with Blocky, Rosalina and Yoshi, won about 20 games and lost 16, something like that. I got to 2 tournament finals but lost both times unfortunately ?

What a game though! I mean it’s tennis but Nintendo’d up with all the power ups, trick shots etc, you can do but that just adds to the fun for me, there’s a classic mode in there too if you don’t want the bells and whistles on your tennis.

I think this is the first Mario Tennis game I’ve played so I’ve no idea how it compares to the rest of them but I’m incredibly impressed with it and I just know this is going to take up the same number of hours MK8D did when it comes out.

Some pics:

FABF8DE8-C12A-42DC-8766-B9EC72136D95.jpeg

9EA68576-9D11-4A35-8A2B-E11AEE00512A.jpeg

A5299C79-4FA6-4AB4-9A36-19AD1A68AB69.jpeg

98F79330-D851-4D4B-A85E-A7746D4A4D3B.jpeg

Yeah I was swearing like a sailor too ? it’s great to feel that progression curve though. 

I was pretty awful at the start and there’s lots of good players in the game already (saw some folks with over 5000 points already) but by the end I was feeling pretty confident in my abilities as long as I didn’t make too many mistakes.

I fucking hate it. It’s not tennis. It’s some kind of party/strategy game dressed up in the clothes of tennis.

Who thought that a camera angle change between a ball toss and a serve being hit was a good idea? It’s horrible, I didn’t have any fun playing it. Too bad the simple mode wasn’t available on the demo.

I’m pinning my hopes on World Tour Tennis now.