passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Puyo Puyo Tetris

Hendo

I just realised we don't have a thread for this.

It came out in Japan in 2014 but only came out over here last year. As you can see by the tags, it's out on pretty much everything bar PC.

For anyone that doesn't know, Puyo Puyo is Mean Bean Machine and it mixes that with Tetris. 

The game modes are insane. You can play against people playing one style while you play the other one (or the same if you like), you can play a weird hybrid mode where the two styles are combined and you will get Puyos and Tetris pieces in the same zone, you can play an alternating mode where you play one style for say 30 seconds and then it switches to the other style, or you can play a puzzle mode where you have to fill in certain puzzle shapes.

I played quite a bit in multiplayer over the Christmas break and it gets really fierce and fun. I wouldn't recommend playing online against randoms because fucking hell.

You can view replays of other people playing and they are like machines.

I gave the demo a go last night. Not sure I can justify the 33eur or so asking so will hope for a sale. 

It is crazy fun though, I loved the swap mode where you play two tables at once and periodically swap from one game to the other, damn :)

Would love to try with a bunch of people!

• 1 month later...

Saw this for £24.99 on the eShop last night so too the plunge - it's completely bonkers and I love it.

It also let me boast to my wife that I once beat Tetris on the gameboy (which no one at school believed). She wasn't nearly as impressed as she should be. That's one of my proudest life achievements!

Played a few more matches online last night and won. Then it paired me with some Japanese players. Fucking hell. I actually put the controller down and laughed halfway through one match. As Hendo says above, they were like machines. Machines created purely for playing Tetris. It actually made my brain hurt thinking about how they can react so quickly and accurately. One player cleared a Tetris before I'd even cleared a line.

Over Christmas I was playing locally with a couple of mates and showed them replays of people playing online. 

I then explained that they were running at normal speed and then slowed down the replay to half speed which is them playing still faster than I can manage. Minds were blown.

• 10 months later...

Played alot of this today (I was meant to be writing an assignment...). I can hold my own at Tetris, but I'm shit at Puyopuyo. This got me to zone 5 in adventure mode, before I had to go to YouTube and pick up some chaining hints. I'm starting the get the hang of it now and went back and 3 starred the first two zones. 

It is really great. I wish there where more pure Tetris modes as it's a great version, but I can see it cranking up a lot of hours on my daily commute. 

@Jimbo Xiii That was pretty much the same issue I had, was fine with Tetris but shocking at Puyopuyo, I'm still not much better.

Think this is probably my most played Switch game, me & the gf play the Tetris  battle mode a lot, although she is getting much better so I may have to retire soon.

I'm getting better at it, but it still requires too much mental gymnastics to be second nature at the moment. 

I'm amazed by how much resource, time, money and thought has gone into the gibberish cut scenes. I don't think that's a complement either. They're well done but insufferable.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this in the Christmas sale and I’ve been playing fuck out of it, it’s ridiculously addictive. The Adventure Mode is mostly what I’ve played and I’ve had to get better than I’ve ever been at PuyoPuyo to make it through to Chapter 6. I feel like I’m fucked now though, the first guy you play sets up almost a whole screen chain and just utterly rapes me.

Still though, brilliant game. It’s all I want to play single player wise.

10 hours ago, illdog said:

I bought this in the Christmas sale and I’ve been playing fuck out of it, it’s ridiculously addictive. The Adventure Mode is mostly what I’ve played and I’ve had to get better than I’ve ever been at PuyoPuyo to make it through to Chapter 6. I feel like I’m fucked now though, the first guy you play sets up almost a whole screen chain and just utterly rapes me.

Still though, brilliant game. It’s all I want to play single player wise.

I hit a wall at chapter 6 and haven't been back to it for over a week, so any skill I did have will have disappeared..

• 4 months later...

Let this be a lesson to you kids, practice and perseverance actually do pay off. I finally beat the story mode in this due to making myself get better at Puyo Puyo. This is the happiest I’ve been about beating a video game in fucking ages, I proper celebrated when that 7-10 asshole went down.

This is game is odd though, the AI randomly switches between genius and idiot. Some guys were seemingly unbeatable for a few go’s and then I’d beat them with unexpected ease. There didn’t seem to be a formula to it either.

Special shout out to fusion mode, fuck I hate you.