passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Virtual Reality

Sambob

CD ROM was probably the biggest reason for the jump in quality of games in the 90's. Animated cut scenes, CD quality soundtracks, voice acting, higher polygonal counts, cheaper production costs to name a few. The effect the CD ROM had on gaming was so much more of a magnitude than VR ever could be. Don't poo poo that. CD ROMs changed the industry.

Yeah, it was a huge thing for the industry, not poo-pooing that at all and that wasn't my intention.

I was probably wowed more though by my N64 games and that didn't use them. I didn't get a PSX until late and wasn't as wowed by some of the early games I played on it - and never played any of the famous JRPGs - so that's possibly why.

• 1 month later...

Went round to a mate’s after work for his birthday and after the masses went home we fired up the VR.

I bought him Sprint Vector which is this insanely knackering racing game where you have to move your arms like you’re skiing to move forward. Anyone who follows Giant Bomb will have seen it.

Really cool but very hard to get a good flow with the controls. There’s a jump move that I just couldn’t get my head around.

I also tried the Star Trek game which is very relaxing and i’m not the biggest ST fan but I can see the appeal. I played it single player so you can tell your AI crew what you want them to do, or take their place and manually use their control stations. Lots of warping, scanning and beaming people aboard to save them.

There’s also 4 player online which inexplicably is cross platform, not just with the main PC headsets but also with PSVR, most likely due to the shortage of headsets going around. I would guess having 3 friends play with you and all doing their jobs together would be really cool.

At any point you can press a button to view from outside the ship and although the resolution is a bit rough, the views are pretty stunning.