passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The MFGamers Podcast

Hendo

MFGamers Podcast  - Hangout October 2017

@Blakey hosts @DANGERMAN, Mark and @radiofloyd to discuss what they have been playing.
This podcast was originally recorded live over Google Hangouts in October 2017 and has been heavily edited to remove most of what had dated it like news and new releases.
Theme music by Mark, background music and edit by me.

Download the episode here.
Subscribe to the feed here.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/mfgamers/id1318429602

Good stuff. 

I regularly play retro stuff so it kind of helps to keep it fresh. You don't go back to things for years the difference is stark. Early 3D stuff doesn't usually fair well either because it compares poorly to what we're still playing. MD/SNES stuff is still great. The likes of Streets of Rage or Jungle Strike or Psycho Pinball etc are still excellent. 

@Hendo You are in the same situation as me with the Souls stuff. I wasn't a fan of Demon's - far too punishing with its light/dark tendencies. Dark Souls I never finished because, well, I don't think I got it really. Souls 2 I loved. I'd accept it was easier but it had a better co-op/covenant system, which is what I like from it. I'm not one if these solo purists. Enjoyed all SoulsBourne since then. So yeah I intend to play Dark Souls and right a wrong.

I'm also keen on Yakuza 6. I really enjoyed 0. Just finished Kiwami and it reminded me why I might have gone cold on it originally. I did finish it (Original Yakuza) but never followed on afterwards. I'll play the rest but I've decided I'm jumping in on 6 and not waiting to do 2345 ?

OK, just to address the fighting game etiquette thing I was three quarters joking calling out Ben in the DBZ thread.  But just to be clear about what it is.

If I destroy someone new I don't expect them to go two out of three.  I do if I get destroyed (because I think there might be something to learn) but fair enough if they do leave.

It becomes a problem (to me) when people leave after close matches (win or lose).  Experienced players doing this.  And also ones that leave after destroying you not giving you the opportunity to come back.  It's these situations that are bad etiquette.

I know there are people coming in that are just fighting on a whim, and that's fine, but when you get to a certain level you get opponents who do know the etiquette, and I know they know it, and leaving at before a two out of three is finished (for the record you can't rematch beyond 2 - 1 so it's not like you're keeping people hostage) is either tantrum throwing or arrogance.  Even if it isn't it'll always look that way.  So in the thread, it was those kinda players I was getting frustrated at.  But mostly rage quitters.

@ThreeFour I actually loved Dark Souls, but just stopped somewhere along and the way and never went back.

I replayed the early sections so many times, Undead Burg is implanted in my brain. I could probably still get a pen and paper out and map that place out. I finished the 2nd but it’s definitely the step child of the series. The third is the pinnacle unless we’re counting Bloodborne and then it’s a tough call to make.

I’ve played through it 3 or 4 times at this point and hammered the DLC, especially the second one. 

The 2nd game you could just tell it was under a different team or leadership and felt a little off, though still enjoyable.

Demon Souls I came to late, when it went up on PS+, and barely scratched the surface. From the little I played, it seemed to be a good start but the others had improved on the formula a lot.

The section I was talking about in the show about DS1 was Blight Town which I’ve seen a lot of in video form but never got there. I’m really looking forward to going in from the start and this time leaving the skeleton garden party well alone.

Your voices are so silky smooth and easy to listen to that I fell asleep (I mean that in a good way) after Hendo talked about Celeste. I forgot to set my alarm and was nearly late for work. In other words, good job guys. 

In relation to Ben’s question, yeah in Japan club activities are a massive part of school life. It’s called 部活動 (bu-katsu-duo). It takes places after school after day and at weekends, sometimes in the morning before achool, and also every day during summer or winter holidays so the students pretty much come to school 365 days a year. My only experience is of elementary school (where it’s just baseball, basketball and soccer but they also have once-a-week club activities like reading in the library or playing various musical instruments) and junior high school, where they have way more clubs. It’s not mandatory but I’d say over 90% of students take part. Also, every club has at least one teacher overseeing it. 

In Japan, the senpai/kouhai relationship is really important (at work as well as school) and I guess club activities is one of the places where that is fostered.

So me and Blakey finally recorded a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 podcast. I couldn't record my audio using Audacity (a problem I fixed afterwards) so we used Zencastr.

The final length was...1 hour and 58 minutes.

Sly who has the patience of the saint walked me through the basics of Audicity for over an hour, so I understand the basics of editing. 

So far I have just over 4 minutes of edited audio - which amazingly, has chopped 6 minutes off the overall runtime, it's now down to 1 hour and 52 minutes. So the final edited length might not end up being too long, but it's going to be a lot of work for me, so it will take a while. Please be patient!

• Hendo featured, pinned and unfeatured this topic