passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Battlefield V

DisturbedSwan

Battlefield V to have R6 style prone, some kind of co-op, BF1'ish campaign

Battlefield V — a name that could still change (EA and DICE reportedly used this as placeholder for Battlefield 1 as well) — does take place during World War II, but the leak claims it follows the German side exclusively. That is not the case. Battlefield V’s campaign will work a lot like Battlefield 1 with the episodic ministories that follow soldiers from all over the globe.

In Battlefield 1, you played one mission as a British tank driver in France, another as an American pilot fighting off a German raid while traveling to London, and a third as a Bedouin rebel working with Lawrence of Arabia. Expect Battlefield V to use this structure to take players to various theaters throughout the second World War.

I’d also point out that this jives with my understanding that DICE is building Battlefield V using a strategy it started before Battlefield 1. The studio is trying to maintain some internal consistencies between Battlefield 1 and Battlefield V, and that may include bringing back voice actors like Katherine Kingsley, a voice announcer in Battlefield 1’s multiplayer mode. On January 22, she posted an image on Instagram of herself in a booth recording new lines for a project that included “#battlefield” in the caption.

The leak also mentioned “cooperative” play, and that is something that DICE is working on for Battlefield V. The leak suggests that this is a special mode that runs squads of players through “randomly generated Conquest missions,” but the studio could expand the scope beyond that. I also don’t know if this will support splitscreen, but DICE knows this is a question that gets asked alongside any promises of co-op.

The leak alleges that players can also now go prone on their backs, which is similar to how going prone works in Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege from publisher Ubisoft. This is accurate, and it should give players more movement options during competitive multiplayer in DICE’s shooter.

Finally, as USGamer reported last week, Battlefield V will have lootboxes, but they are cosmetic only. This is similar to how lootboxes worked in Battlefield 1, but expect EA and DICE to expand on this and to emphasize that this isn’t pay-to-win. EA is still trying to figure out how to undo the public-relations mess it made with Star Wars: Battlefront II’s loot boxes that unlock upgrades for your characters, and loot boxes that stick strictly to cosmetics in competitive modes is one of the things on the table for EA in its non-sports games, free-to-play, and mobile games.

• 1 month later...

RUMOUR: Battlefield V Battle Royale prototype is in the works (Campaign still part of package)

EA’s DICE studio is testing a battle royale mode for Battlefield V that features similar gameplay to megahits like Fortnite and PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, according to someone with knowledge of the studio who asked to remain anonymous. In those last player-standing shooters, 100 players drop onto a map and fight until only one person or team is left standing, and that game type has taken over the industry.

Also: Battlefield V team loves that Call of Duty may ditch its campaign

The Battlefield team at developer DICE is ecstatic today, according to a source familiar with the studio. That’s because Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 may not have a single-player campaign when it ships in October, according to Polygon and multiple corroborating reports on Activision’s biggest series. Instead, Black Ops developer Treyarch is focusing on the military shooter’s competitive multiplayer and cooperative zombies mode, which are both megapopular with Call of Duty’s millions of players.

If Black Ops 4 launches without a campaign, the team at DICE is happy because it thinks it may have an advantage over its rival when it launches the next Battlefield. EA has already announced that it will release a Battlefield sequel this year, and in March, I reported Battlefield V (as EA is calling it) will return to World War II. In Battlefield V, DICE is planning to continue the vignette-style storytelling that it started in the campaign for Battlefield 1, and that offering could now attract people who played Call of Duty for its bombastic action-movie-like stories.

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Nag said:

I feel sorry for his wife...?

Maybe the knackers are his wife's fetish?

I'm not sure about BF now. @Hendo said a while ago that one of the previous games would be my last one (Hardline?) and I think he could be right, although a few games out. BF1 was alright, it didn't grab me in ways that the series did between 2 and BC2. It really depends on which direction they take it. It could be I'm just done with competitive games.

2 hours ago, ThreeFour said:

That not how you get in the bath? Dip your feet in and if it's ok, slowly sit in.

Nothing worse than burning your ass and mini brains ?

I always thought dipping your toes in was a pool analogy, not a bath one. You dip your toes in before you get your feet wet...

Anyway, Battlefield. Are these games better than CoD for single player? I've got Hardline (I know that's not really a true representation of the series) and only ever played the first level.

I started 3 when it was free on PS+ but it was back in the days when I was God awful at FPS games, rather than just bad, so I didn't enjoy it at all.

I think it applies to any situation where you're about to be full body in water. 

I think BF1 did have a decent SP. I'm not one to ask about SP though as I never really bought either CoD or Battlefield for SP. I find them flimsy passable affairs. 

None of them are that great, but if you want the best of a mediocre crop you'll be wanting BFBC2 and BF1. Tonally very different. BFBC2 is all jokes and lads out (not those lads) on tour while the other is putting the horrors of The Great War under the microscope, albeit in a bit of a weird glorifying way.

The idle chatter from BFBC2 is amazing off the cuff.

EDIT: Listening to that video where they're talking about Hulk Hogan and if wrestling is real. :lol:

Out October 16th. No premium pass.

Jackfrags video goes into a bit more detail..

Huuuuuge chances. But they all sound good. More "I can't shoot but i want to help" with the fort stuff is great too. 

A more tactical/team play Battlefield is what i wanted. So i'm pretty happy.