passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Battlefield V

DisturbedSwan

I liked the calls for help as well, they sound very morbid. The shooting looks more BF4 than BF1 too, which is a good thing.

I really liked the snow falling from the rooftops as the fight rumbled through as well, there's loads of little touches that you'd no doubt miss while playing because you're not looking for them, but they're there so it's more interesting to look at as someone who is spectating.

The Operations mode as well, looks like Rush in a round about way, what with the placing charges on an object and having to fend off enemies while they go off. I know that's just one part to it, but that's what it reminded me of as I saw it.

Yeah like promising. More akin to BF4 than 1 like Sly says. 

I do like to see building destruction. That Tank just rolling through those houses ? I was just imagining troops bailing out the windows. Always good to place some mines and bait em into doing that - *Boom* 

On my purchase list I think.

If you overheat the barrel on an LMG there's an animation where you do a quick change of the barrel. You can hear the gun struggling to fire as well, I don't know if that would be the case as I don't know much about firearms, maybe the sound change is because the worn barrel is doing something that alters the noise produced.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1006012390595485696/pu/vid/1280x720/8FzXNWu6kHn9AOaG.mp4?tag=3

Pre EDIT: Apparently the noise change is attributed to gas assembly clogging up with carbon, so it's realistic. Even with today's LMG's they carry spare barrels and change when hot or worn. TIL.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

BFV Open Beta starts September 4th

DICE announced Monday evening before Gamescom that Open Beta for Battlefield V will be available on Sept. 4 for early access and Sept. 6 for all other players on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Origin for PC.

The Open Beta will feature the Rotterdam map that was revealed just last week on Conquest mode and the Arctic Fjord map on both Grand Operations and Conquest modes.

The black guy looks like Irish from BF4.

I think what they've done with that tree branching off is move the squad perks across to the person and altered it to be persistent, instead using the squad bar for those actions where you can call in supplies or V2 rockets if you have the points to burn.

I've been playing 4 a bit recently and it's still great. It's next to impossible to find some game modes though, since everyone seems to play conquest and that's it. Conquest is all you need really. The majority of the maps are so well crafted that no two games really ever play out the same.

4 was great. I read a Dev interview and he stated the combat was moving back to the crispness and reliability of past games citing 4 as an example. Which is why I'm excited as I found 1 to just feel off. 

I think vehicles aren't going to be just plonked at spawn points on the map. I'm sure I read that you can call in Tanks or Planes etc when you have enough points. Further encouraging this squad play I suppose. Not sure how I feel about that. Will it allow you if there's already two friendly tanks on the field? How expensive are they compared to how easily they're destroyed? Time will tell.

I'm not going to read too much until it's nearer the time as I'll get too excited and impatient ?

A lot of people were disappointing with 4 and preferred 3. The maps in 3 were terrible Battlefield maps though, the lanes method of making maps does not float in Battlefield at all. I think 3 was a combination of them releasing on a platform that wasn't capable of doing what they were aiming for. 4 Allowed them to stretch their legs and have some sort of parity with PC for content.

BF3's more traditional maps were missing flags as well as having less people on the server to keep everything moving along. You always felt like you were in some sort of tunnel. Damavand might have been a spectacle at the end in Rush, but it was still mostly in a tunnel. In fact the Conquest was all tunnel based. Metro was a fucking tunnel with fancy bits either side of it. Grand Bazaar was lane based with a bit of destructive bit either end. Seine Crossing and Nose Hair Canals were simple lane maps. A lot of those maps remind me of CoD maps and I don't think that's by accident. They were heavily relying on people being bored of CoD and jumping across and hoping that the more traditional style Battlefield maps wouldn't sour it too much for that larger crowd they were catering for.

Not to say Battlefield has never had more infantry focused maps. But they were never like that, ever. That big departure really pissed on it for me.

Battlefield 4 went some way to correcting that. Aside from Operation Metro (Operation Moving Stairs) and Operation Locker (Operation Doorframe) the maps, especially the DLC maps went back into proper Battlefield territory aside from Pearl Market. Sure there's parts of maps that are more closed off, but as a whole they're generally very open and allow for a grand scope of tactics and for different ways for them to play out. It's that open ended structure along with how the combat feels is what makes the game. While mechanically the shooting may be very similar to how it was in 3, it's the maps themselves that dictate how much mileage you're going to get from them. In 3 you'd have 2 or 3 lanes of attack and that was it. In 4 that's opened to an analogue amount of possibilities. When you look at a map like Gulf of Oman there's countless ways to win and defend each map, you can use every tool the game gives you to bend that map to your will, no matter what your style of play it's going to be feasible. In 3 if you can't win by force or sneaking then you're out of options.

I've not really played that much 1. The shooting feels weird in a way I can't really explain. Like, if feels like I'm shooting a Borderlands gun that has bad accuracy, the variables seem to be all over the place, something I never really felt like an any other Battlefield game I've played. That's not really what's happening, but I can't find any other way to describe it, it just feels iffy.

I should really try Hardline at some point. Next time I boot the PS4 I might get the fucker downloaded and see if it's as bad as most say.

I think a large part of that was the shitty state the game launched in. The netcode was all over the shop. Issues loading, disconnects and the game basically dying whenever 'levolution' occured ? more started to appreciate it once that stuff got ironed out, like 6 months in ?

I agree mostly with what you're saying about the maps tho. 

The weapons of Battlefield 1 had some atrocious random bullet spread which the Devs said they're going back on in 5. Probably attributed to why it felt off to us. Didn't click at the time. All those times the shit got away because the game said no, and my bullets deviated from where I was aiming ?

Yeah. The online is solid now. However I don't think I've ever quit the game without it bluescreening the PS4, which is shit. The menu stuff has been terrible a long time though, the last one that did it correctly was BC2. They  could do with stripping it right back to basics to keep it easy t read and snappy. Being usable should always come in front of being flashy. I doubt that will happen though, since they gotta l those cosmetics and they're going to make you look at them at every opportunity.

19 hours ago, ThreeFour said:

I think vehicles aren't going to be just plonked at spawn points on the map. I'm sure I read that you can call in Tanks or Planes etc when you have enough points. Further encouraging this squad play I suppose. Not sure how I feel about that. Will it allow you if there's already two friendly tanks on the field? How expensive are they compared to how easily they're destroyed? Time will tell

I forgot to answer this before. Vehicles are on the map and have limited ammo resources. There's been complaints that they're feeling a bit imbalanced since engineers near ammo dumps can instantly refill rockets to kill them, so a lot of tanks are getting swatted so hard. Maybe it's a case of people not learning to play yet, not killing assets and all that. I don't know. That's a thing that a few youtubers I've watched have said in regards of the tanks being weaker than you'd expect. The call in vehicles are separate and are generally smaller. I don't really know the names of the WWII. The stuff placed on the map would be MBT equivalent to the Abrams and the squad call in would be the equivalent to the Bradley.

The other thing I'd like to touch upon while I'm here is the support class. I generally split between the 3 useful classes and let the crayon eating class sit on a hill far far away where its natural habitat is, but they've made some bad bad decisions in regards of the support. I get that they're trying to make him the builder of this game, but altering how he works elsewhere is dicking him over. On top of this you are compounding issues by allowing people to resupply from dead bodies and supply points. You're taking the class' bread and butter away, it's already a class that's underpopulated, maybe even the least played class, and making those changes is going to damage him overall. When I originally heard that you start with so little ammo I thought that this would place an emphasis on having a nice squad balance, but it appears not. Unless support gets points for building ammo dumps and therefore after on each interaction then I just cannot see people gravitating towards the class.

I've seen some stuff where he can't bring the gun right up to iron sights as well, but I've also seen guns that can. I think the idea is they want people to use the building as a point to rest the gun upon, but the bits that I've seen where you can only tighten the aim a bit and if you want the most precise aiming you have to bipod up at which point the gun becomes a laser.

I don't know, it feels like they're making a class redundant. When you look at the medic class which is more essential than ever before because health doesn't regen to full on damage, you have to wonder wtf is going on in DICE's mind. Games have economies that need balancing and I've a dreadful feeling support might be about to go broke.

1 hour ago, Sly Reflex said:

I forgot to answer this before. Vehicles are on the map and have limited ammo resources.

Huh. Wonder what I read ? Doesn't sound too bad. Might stop the lone warriors camping at choke points all match without a buddy.

1 hour ago, Sly Reflex said:

I don't know, it feels like they're making a class redundant

Yeah. It was simpler when it was a medic class. It's a class I kinda flirt with now. Like that easy going girl that's always pleased to see you, but you know you'll tire too quick in a lengthy association. 

Do we know what Gadgets/equipment they can have? 

The limited ammo thing in vehicles is a way of balancing them. I don't know which games you've played, but in BF2 you had limited ammo and had to return to a point where you'd be restocked and repaired. It did lead to some people camping on the spot which was super annoying aside from helicopters (in which you could use the time they were at their weakest to get a kill off), but it's better than allowing them to sit in the vehicle with unlimited ammo and repairs from inside the vehicle. Note: I am not against vehicles having repairs, but it should be a person outside the vehicle risking it. Same with any vehicle, it should have the wheels or skids on the ground before it can be repaired. Bad Company 1 Allowed damage to air vehicles which made them have "waves" where they'd be to and fro. Sometimes you'd get the mad skilled chopper pilot that would never get damaged that would break that design, but it had a similar effect of pushing vehicles from hotzones for a while so give defenders breathing space.

The support class loadouts? I've seen them use mines and the spotter gun the recons have. They have a toolbox as well, but I think all classes have that.They have ammo as well, of course, but I think it might possibly be a dumping grounds for equipment they feel doesn't fit elsewhere. The nature of the time period has sort of messed up the traditional placement of gadgets, you look at the tankbuster grenade from BF1 or that antitank rifle where you had to lay on the floor to shoot it and you get what I mean in place of where RPG's would be. They're still playing fast and loose with what went where and how it worked, but it's still sort of time specific despite DICE  playing about a bit. Like the reflex type of scopes, they actually existed all the way back in WWI, but they were so expensive that it was rare to see them. I think we're in for a lot of that gadgets and attachments wise. War is a time where new things are tried.

We get a beta soon so it'll be nice to have a proper gander at what's going on. I doubt we'll get to see those splitting skill trees though, but we'll be able to have a proper scour over all the other stuff they include.

Lots of pressure riding on the beta, if it performs bad I can't see them catching up on preorders.

10 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

The limited ammo thing in vehicles is a way of balancing them. I don't know which games you've played, but in BF2 you had limited ammo and had to return to a point where you'd be restocked and repaired.

Played them all from 2 but it's been so long I honestly don't remember 2. For the longest time vehicles ammo has had a reload timer. Slowly stocking up your ammo. If you were good in a tank as an Engineer you could go a whole game in that thing not needing anyone else. You could heal choppers in the air as an engineer too. I actually got accused of 'kill boosting' one time from that ??‍♂️

I'm not against giving limited ammo so long as it's enough to be useful before requiring your dumb team mates to restock or however they're going to do it.

Yeah the loadouts have been swapped about n fudged with in each one. Won't suprise me if you level up enough they all share access to certain gadgets. Which kinda ruins the finer points of a class. If I get chance I'll have a tinker in the beta to get some feels. 

I'm like @Nag with Resi. I think they should go right back to 2. Go back to 7 classes that do not stray from their job within the framework of the game. Go back to putting crates on vehicles to turn them into ambulances or ammo depots. I'm not a fan of the one class can be tailored to do these jobs. You end up with one man armies the more you go down that route, and that's bad for squad play.

For instance, look at the medic now. If you're good at playing medic, you never ever have to rely on anyone except when armour shows up. You can loot the bodies and dumps for ammo and you're set. You're going to have a disproportionate amount of people playing medic because of that. If you like semi auto you go medic and if you like full auto you go engineer. If you are a selfish cunt you go recon.

The mad thing is despite the over abundance of medics in the field you still won't get revived because they're there just for the guns.

Or you get the 20hp revive and get left to fend for yourself like a baby gazelle being born in the Serengeti. I could understand if there was a lot of people to res and time was an issue, but that is the ultimate in fuck you.

If I get rezzed fully I look for that person and join their squad, because they have their shit together.