passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Assassin's Creed Origins

regemond

On 24/02/2022 at 11:27, bellow said:

I'm not ready. Not in the least. I need much more time in the sun before I close this one out. Who'd have thought I would enjoy an AC game as much as this. But they've done it right. The side quests are almost always worth doing, often shedding light on cultural practices of the era, always bringing the eye candy, and with almost always a decent moustache twirling antagonist to send to the afterlife.

Really glad you enjoyed it, you've learnt your lesson and hopefully will give more games a fair shake. 

I don't know if I wrote it off, although I often complain about the way Ubi goes about their world design. I did play blackflag on my switch to completion, and had a failed go at  syndicate (which was genuinely shite). 

They're not my favourites, I'll give you that. But origins seems a lot more like my kind of game, as I'm sure Valhalla will be (when it drops to a tenner 😀).

Just starting to struggle to find quests. There's a couple left on the map so hopefully I'll hit my target of level 40 before I move into the endgame. I've even seen off all the assassins and closed out their quest (which provided a legendary outfit).

Great game I think but it's definitely running out of steam a bit now. God knows how players muster up the gumption to 100% this stuff. 

Done.

Got an excellent 50 hours out of it, but really hated the endgame. I mean I really resented having to play it.

Ubisoft just couldn't help themselves? Fucking up their fine game by having the last mission played by the character you've hardly used for the entire game, underlevelled (compared to where I had Bayek), with a weapon set I personally had no experience with.

It seemed to be tagged on to me. Why couldn't Bayek do that last stuff?

I sort of got the feeling (and I might be wrong, but this shit is everywhere just now) that, late in the day, Ubisoft had this idea that the first person to put on the iconic white cowl just 'had' to be a woman. Like, 'let's show them that woman can be cold blooded killers just as much as men can.'

Fine. I would have played as Aya the entire game an thought nothing of it, then closed out the game with her in that white cowl and been as happy as Larry. Now I feel a bit letdown.

And sea battles. Load of shite. I'll bet there's loads of that in Valhalla.

947baaf1-52c0-4321-8949-f9b753bd1435.png

There’s actually next to no boat stuff in Valhalla which is nice. A little bit in Norway but once in England very little if I remember right.

Valhalla is twice as good as Origins but also twice as long so it’s the same old problem with these games. Pure bloat. If Valhalla was a 30 hour game and really condensed I’d probably be a fan of it. 

16 minutes ago, Maf said:

Pure bloat. If Valhalla was a 30 hour game and really condensed I’d probably be a fan of it. 

I treated the game as purely an RPG, did all the sidequests just like I would in any other RPG, and never really got that sense of bloat.

That's how I built my character, and it was well enough to get him levelled. 

Of course if you really can't leave the other bits alone (vulture nests, ptolomai statues etc) then you've only really got yourself to blame.

I adore the sea battles, but as Maf said there's not much of it in Valhalla, it's mostly smaller boats going down rivers and even then it's optional a lot of the time as you can get almost everywhere by horse/foot. Only thing you need the Viking long ship for is river raids really, from what I can remember anyway.

Odyssey is the one with a lot more sea battles and boat stuff in general, from what I can remember anyway. Origins to a lesser extent and Valhalla have far less of it.

Glad you enjoyed it anyway, I personally loved that last mission as Aya, she's an awesome character. She was actually meant to be the main character in this but some of the Ubi higher ups (one of the ones that recently got sacked for harassment AFAIK) thought you needed to be a bloke for it to sell which is hilarious. 

I adore the latest trilogy of AssCreed games, but I'd strongly advise against that idea. Valhalla is a wonderful, wonderful game. But except for a couple of bumps in certain systems and the change of location, I don't think it's different enough to justify jumping straight in without burning out on the loop.

I'd potentially suggest playing a couple of short palate cleansers then maybe go for Odyssey (it's cheaper than Valhalla at the minute).

Kass is a much better character than Eivor, anyway.

Or you could just ignore me and go all Viking. You don't have to listen to me. I'm not your dad.

Funnily enough my dad said the same thing, even though the last video game he played was Space Invaders in 1983.

I did download it, though. I played a bit and then, as an experiment, I put a colander on my head to see if I could truly feel the era.

It felt so good.