passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Super Mario Odyssey

Hendo

Wasn't sure if I should have gone with this of Zelda as my first Switch game, but I've always been a big fan of the 3d Mario titles and indifferent about 3d Zelda so it was no choice really.

This is great. I see @DANGERMAN and @illdog point about sometime the controlles are a bit frustrating. For everything that needs a shake control, I think there seems to be a button alternative. I've only opened up to Forrest word (via water world) but spent extended time in each zone getting as many moons as I could. 

I've enjoyed all of it so far, but the bits that have made me go "huh, that's cool" are stacking goomba's to reach a moon, and cappy controlling the zips in water world. 

One thing I've noticed with my Switch, when playing detached, my right joycon some times loses connectivity to the Switch. I moved the home phone receiver out the way as I thought that might be interfering with it, that seems to have improved it. When playing in the joycon holder it's been fine as well as playing handheld. Hopefully it's not a duff controller. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've played this quite a bit this week. Just cleared 500 moons. I've been working through each area trying to 100% as many as possible. Managed to clear quite a few so far, although I am using a guide to pick up quite a few. 

The more I play it, the more I think it might be my favourite 3D Mario. I don't think it is as tightly constructed as Galaxy, but I love the style of it and that it's quite meta and self referential. I've enjoyed it a lot but think I might put it to bed for a bit. 

• 2 months later...

That’s because you haven’t come out yet @DifferentClass

I was mopping up moons this morning. I still haven’t done the good ending everyone says they cried over so that’s embarrassing.

I didn’t realise balloon hide and seek gave you real time updates as you played to tell you someone have played and failed your balloon find or if it’s been found and popped you need to do another. That made me actually play it a lot more.

I'll have to get back to this at some point. I think I finished the main story then went back to the start to mop up a few moons, got distracted by other games, then that was it. And I didn't even know there was another ending. Although I suppose there must be when you think about it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Realised I’m a bit bored of my current games, despite some new ones, and I went back to this last night to see what else I could find.

100’s of moons still remain...

Discovered so many cool things, still love it, Nintendo are still amazing :)

• 2 years later...

Wait hang on is this game actually amazing? I dunno why people talk shit about this game and tried to put me off of it. I only put it on to see what it looks like on the new Switch. It’s 3 hours later and I haven’t even tried another game yet.

Internet with all the wrong opinions again smh. If there’s a lesson to be learned here it’s never listen to people who say Mario Odyssey is bad or underwhelming they’re fools

I put this on again tonight around 9ish to have something to play while listening to YT videos/podcasts and it’s now 1:40am. 

The playability of this game is undeniable. I start it, I can’t stop. It’s just so easy to play. What helps maybe is that this is my second playthrough. One of my negatives the first time was running around in circles trying to find one thing and it taking forever. Or running by key landmarks in the levels which can easily be missed, or not obvious that they can be interacted with, then when finally stumbling upon it was like for fucks sake you mean it was this thing the whole time? The clover in the Deep Woods for example. If you know then you know.

On a second playthrough that’s barely happened. There are a couple of things I’m stuck on, and a few gaps in the Moon list for each world which I don’t know where to look for them, but for the most part I’m remembering things and it’s saving a lot of time and making this much more efficient, which in turn is making the game much more enjoyable.

If it’s fair to to say well a huge negative to Odyssey is running around, half aimlessly not knowing what to do is then fixed by…knowing what to do. I’m not sure. But this is super fun. I’m enjoying this a dramatic amount.

As I said in the Switch thread playing with joy cons but using the Switch as a Mini TV is a fun way to play. I can have the iPad on the arm of the sofa, the Switch right next to it and see both at the same time lol. The game looks so good on the screen.

I think I found my new evening game for a while. It’s such a chill but engaging little game. 

Spoiler #1

Spoiler

The fact they took Mario too Dark Souls is so crazy

FBxSvkaVkAA1ch-?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler #2

Spoiler

The fact they took Mario home is so wonderful 

FBxSvkyVUAQtrf7?format=jpg&name=large

I could write 100,000 words about this game easy and never get to a single conclusive point. I can’t think of another game that leaves me so conflicted. 

I was joking about others, it was me who was saying it was underwhelming. When I first played it I really liked it overall, but felt the game was a bit flat and uninteresting because the things you do in it are extremely simple and repetitive.

Returning to the game after not playing it for years the game really hit for me though. The buttons are satisfying, the game is pumped full of positive feedback for pretty much everything making it a real feel good game, because there are so many moons and the amount of time spent on each individual moon is really low the game feels fast. Because you’re changing you goal every couple of minutes, sometimes within seconds. 

However now reaching the end of the game and been playing all week I’m starting to come full circle and be a bit down on the game again. All the things that weighed me down first time are starting to come back. The game is very repetitive, the moons are too easy, or if you don’t know where one is they’re too hard/annoying/take too long to find. 

New Donk City was one of the game’s huge selling points because wow Mario in a city. Actually it’s my least favourite world in the game because you end up running around it endlessly. It’s really tedious.

The funny thing about the game is it’s backloaded. All the best content in the game is in the final 1/3rd. The further you get the better and more interesting the game becomes. Which is good. So many games show the whole game in the first hour and then repeat until death. So Mario Odyssey actually getting better and each world being more exciting is good. One of the marks of a great platformer.

However by the time I get there I’m so worn down by the simple activities each new world is more like a quick shot in the arm of enthusiasm before quickly coming down again as the repetitive objectives and honestly predictable nature of the game starts to get to me. 

One of this game’s hugest problems is the same problem that Sunshine has and that there’s one jump to rule them all. The hat+dive+bounce+dive. Like Sunshine where the spin jump + jet pack solves almost all platforming obstacles and makes a lot of Mario’s other moves redundant, here is almost the same. 

It’s a bit better. As you can start with a triple jump for height or long jump for distance in to hat+dive+bounce+dive so it’s not quite the exact same thing as Sunshine’s jump. It also takes a little bit more skill than Sunshine’s jump and due to the level design you can use it for interesting level skips. Sometimes it feels like you’re breaking the game and other times it feels intended. As Sunshine was a lot more linear it’s jump was a problem because you’re just skipping the game by hovering over it all. Here is more open and exploratory so the hat jump feels more like a way to manipulate or create paths instead of flat out skipping them. So it’s better.

Ultimately though it’s the one go-to move that defeats the whole game. I don’t think that’s good. It’s a big factor in making the game feel repetitive because you just do the same jump over and over

When I say this game leaves me conflicted I mean I am CONFLICTED. I’m caught between really liking it, wishing I liked it more, trying to give the game it’s credit, pointing out it’s problems and simplicity while not being able to put the pad down. 

Damn that’s a long post. See I just start talking about it and away we go.

It’s a game I can’t put a number on. 7, 8, 9. It’s definitely somewhere in this range but none of it sounds right to me. 

EDIT: Spoiler #3

Spoiler

Then the game show you stuff like this and it’s like oh, I see, I see so this is the best video game

FB0C2J0UcAEE2n9?format=jpg&name=large