passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sea of Thieves

DisturbedSwan

39 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

@Blakey as Sly's said, people have been talking about this for a decade or more. I remember when dlc started replacing free expansions (or paid large expansions) and the infamous horse armour.

I'm not going to pretend there's no examples of me being a hypocrite, but I think I've been fairly consistent over the years 

Genuinely asking but I don't remember having any free large expansions? Have I missed out? 

Nevermind I misread. 

IMO There's distinction between loot boxes, Mx and paid DLC. All aim to give the end result but some more machiavellian than others.

GoW had free maps. Halo 2 and I think 3 had free maps (as well as paid). I think Rainbow 6 Vegas 1 or 2 had free maps. Worms had a load of voice packs for free which would be paid for anywhere else. Dead Rising had a fuckton of free cosmetic DLC. Burnout Paradise had a big bike update (Big Surf and Cops and Robbers was paid for). Crackdown had some free stuff including Keys to the City, which was like a cheat mode thing that would have been charged for now (also had extra weapons and vehicles paid for). Bad Company 1 had free DLC maps (2 did as well with a new copy of the game), Pinball FX gave away free tables and if you bought tables they went into post game launches with upgrades to make them comparable (or most of them did make the hand over). Left 4 Dead added free stuff iirc and Left 4 Dead 2 added all the originals levels as well as characters for free (as well as paid stuff). Awesomenauts had new levels and classes added for free (as well as paid for classes), Army of Two Had a huge addition of story line added for nowt. Minecraft was consistently updated (had skins on store). Rock Band 2 had a load of songs for free.

This is just from my narrow selection of games played on 360. There's going to be loads more.

I've bought shit as well. Season passes and threadbare DLC, so in part I've been part of the problem. At least I realise this though and know that in part I'm a fucking idiot for falling for it. I hate it though. I hate the 'store' icon being omnipresent in all the games from launch practically. Even in games I adore I hate that they held back stuff or added in bits later that are nothing more than fluff and have the face to charge for it. I hate that they've designed games like Destiny 2 so that nothing feels good to work towards because all the cool landmark stuff they had in the first game that trold of your achievements its not in the Eververse. I hate that there's emotes and well loved characters behinds paywalls in Monster Hunter World because they knew they had something people wanted so gated it off for a few extra bucks.

I could go on, but beyond that I'm just ranting. It's all cynical fucking bullshit that the vox populi have been sold hook, line and sinker.

There's one or two free maps and there's an entirety of DLC. I remember Battlefield and CoD having fee maps too. It's like one map pack though. Never an entire season of DLC. Bar a very infrequent example. I never expected them to be regular and frequent. Where's the line? How much free stuff is enough? 

At he end of the day it's simply this; do you really expect all content after any games launch to be freewe can't only lay it at EA or Activision. Has to apply to all games. Should Frozen Wilds have been free? Should any content Hellblade put out be free? I'm asking because if we think not then it needs to be funded. 

You might be sad emotes and characters are behind paywalls but when you're getting free additional Monsters and gear later will you complain? 

If Overwatch never had loot boxes it'd have been paid DLC. Or drastically reduced free content. My friend likely wouldn't have bought it as moneys tight.

I'm being Devils advocate because my stance is I don't like them. I'd rather them gone. Something has to take its place. I prefer paid content the way it was in 360. I certainly don't remember all content being free.  You know what you're getting and the reward mechanics of the game your playing isn't fudged with. It's entitled to expect everything to be free and doesn't work in business. Give a taster. Pay for the rest.

I'm not against paying for stuff that is good content. I am against splitting the player base with MP maps, strip mining the game to sell back as additions, having P2W stuff. I'm not exactly fond of immersion breaking skins either. Whenever I saw someone using Commando Dom he was my first target. The flipper footed wank.

There's a line in the sand. A lot of it I can't tolerate, the rest grates me but it's there for whatever reason, like the gold plated tanks in EDF. In fact I think a lot of this customisation is toss. An artist works his arse off to create something that's completely fitting and doesn't look out of place and then we get an option to slap a gold skin on it making it stand out like a sore thumb. It's like putting hotpants on your mother and then accessorising her with a strap on. It's totally unnecessary. If you're going to go down that route then it all has to look the part.

1 hour ago, Sly Reflex said:

I'm not against paying for stuff that is good content.

Put your money where your mouth is then and buy Hellblade - that you’ve been going on about as such a great Indie AAA example - and put some money into Warframe for the 30/40 hours you must’ve put into it by now.

And buy The Last Guardian and Prey since you watched them on YT instead of getting your wallet out.

It’s easy to complain, and say you don’t mind putting into money into good content, but you never buy any good content. You bought 1 or 2 games last year.

It’s easy to be a crusader when you’ve got no stakes in it, I actually buy stuff and see what irks/doesn’t irk me with my own eyes rather than getting caught up in the online pitchfork mob.

3 hours ago, Blakey said:

Put your money where your mouth is then and buy Hellblade - that you’ve been going on about as such a great Indie AAA example - and put some money into Warframe for the 30/40 hours you must’ve put into it by now.

These will happen.

And buy The Last Guardian and Prey since you watched them on YT instead of getting your wallet out.

Prey will likely happen. TLG won't because I never intended on buying it anyway.

It’s easy to complain, and say you don’t mind putting into money into good content, but you never buy any good content. You bought 1 or 2 games last year.

Absolute bollocks. Horizon Zero Dawn. Titanfall 2. Dying Light. All the Pinball FX stuff that was released. Several bundles of Pinball Arcade were bought. Destiny 2. Everybody's Golf. Wolfenstein. Shadow of Mordor.  That's 8 games right there that were bought. Just because I'm  not getting them a day before release doesn't mean they don't count.

It’s easy to be a crusader when you’ve got no stakes in it, I actually buy stuff and see what irks/doesn’t irk me with my own eyes rather than getting caught up in the online pitchfork mob.

Even if you only buy one game a year you still have stakes in it, because a lot of games are getting fucked because of idiots supporting shitty practices. Being in the know and getting pissed of is being a crusader now? How about you get off that high horse?

These will happen.

I'll believe it when I see it, knowing you they'll both have to be sub £5 in some sale before the cobwebs part from your wallet :lol: 

Prey will likely happen. TLG won't because I never intended on buying it anyway.

See my first answer for Prey. Fair enough for TLG, still think it's a bit cheeky though doing that, one of the reasons SP games' sales are falling.

Absolute bollocks. Horizon Zero Dawn. Titanfall 2. Dying Light. All the Pinball FX stuff that was released. Several bundles of Pinball Arcade were bought. Destiny 2. Everybody's Golf. Wolfenstein. Shadow of Mordor.  That's 8 games right there that were bought. Just because I'm  not getting them a day before release doesn't mean they don't count.

I should of worded my first post better, I meant games that released in 2017, too late now anyway. But yeah I count 3 2017 games in that list plus the pinball stuff.

Even if you only buy one game a year you still have stakes in it, because a lot of games are getting fucked because of idiots supporting shitty practices. Being in the know and getting pissed of is being a crusader now? How about you get off that high horse?

Fair enough, I just think a lot of the time you're getting one side of information all the time, you hear Sterling talk about lootboxes in this or MTX in that and take his words as gospel. Then when someone tries to say 'well, actually, it's not as bad as that...' or 'well, that's true, but they've put x in so you don't need to y unless you want to'  you put your fingers in your ears and don't want to listen, only believing Sterling's gospels.

I just think derailing threads, harping on about it an awful lot to folks that aren't particularly bothered about them either way in the main is rather crusadery yes. You just came in here and gave ultimatums like 'you're either with or against it, no fence sitting here' to folks like it's some important battle you're fighting, and I'm the one on my high horse?

I'm just saying not everyone cares as much as you do. It's a noble cause in a way, but you can't make someone care about cosmetic LBs as much as you repeat Sterling's 'It's just cosmetic' line. Some folks will feel any sort of LBs and MTX these days are egregious, some will only play one of these games if these two aren't in it or only cosmetic, let folks decide what they want, not be lectured and brow beaten.

Again, I was on this way earlier than Sterling, looking at 2011/12 when I started complaining about it.

Also, I was shoed in for SWBFII until they did the thing. Just buying it would give them the wrong idea which is why it didn't get bought. The other stuff from last year wasn't to my tastes or was on a console I didn't own.

1 hour ago, Blakey said:

See my first answer for Prey. Fair enough for TLG, still think it's a bit cheeky though doing that, one of the reasons SP games' sales are falling.

Nope, this is similar the piracy argument. People who pirate music, games or videos may have no intention of getting those products at all, so it's never a lost sale because the sale was never there in the first place. I'll happily do all three though at a time when I'm ready to. The games are going nowhere and I don't have time to do them right now anyway outside of Warframe. I've learnt from the past it's completely pointless buying stuff on release unless I must play it right now. 

1 hour ago, Blakey said:

I just think derailing threads, harping on about it an awful lot to folks that aren't particularly bothered about them either way in the main is rather crusadery yes. You just came in here and gave ultimatums like 'you're either with or against it, no fence sitting here' to folks like it's some important battle you're fighting, and I'm the one on my high horse?

I commented on the in game store news and there were replies which naturally went the way it did. That's how conversation works. There's no point in having anything here if we're not going to have a discussion.

The second part was a bit jokey towards Lakitu, I should have added a smiley to it. That's a mistake on my behalf. :blush:

The truth is the publishers/developers are always going to try and push the boundaries of what we find acceptable. We've all just become so accepting of this shite that the high water mark is getting higher and higher each time. We shrug and say it doesn't matter. They push further and we do the same until one day we wake up and what we're getting is a former shadow of itself. It'll all be because people nonchalantly walked into it and they'll only have themselves to blame. This announcing a store like it's some wanted feature is a step in that direction.

I'm not saying it's OK. Saying that, pirating has probably cost me more in the long run since I've usually gone and gotten a legitimate copy of whatever I've 'borrowed' further down the line. Also pirating is sometimes the only way to get your hands on something that's rare as fuck or completely obsolete. I set my C64 up about 10 years ago and practically nothing worked, the only way to get a lot of those games to run now is to emulate, which of course means pirating.

Sometimes I pirate for the convenience as well. Yeah, I have that song on CD packed away in the loft, doesn't mean I'm going to go up there and seek it out so I can rip a copy to my PC.

Talking about pirating in the Sea of Thieves thread. It's vaguely on topic, I guess. :lol:

I think it all basically comes down to (for AAA at least) gaming is a business and when they release they have to try to maximize their income. It makes complete sense from a business point of view. 

But it's down to developers to come up with ways that don't damage the game or piss people off that also make people want to part with their cash, it's fucking hard. Cosmetics is fine but that doesn't work with every game. 

The games market is so saturated compared to 15 years ago too. No wonder people are waiting for a game to go on sale or on plus. There's hundreds if not thousands of games a year being released now. With the non-indies being 40/50 quid a pop, you HAVE to pick and choose what you want because of money and time. 

The Stress Test has now begun, open to everyone that had Closed Beta access, finishes Monday morning.

Some new features: 

Ferry of the Damned Shenanigans - Now you can use all the items you have when you are living on the Ferry of the Damned. Obviously there are limitations to their effect, because, you're a ghost..

Idle Disconnect - The clock is ticking! There is now a ten minute idle timer, once that runs out players will be disconnected from their session and placed back in the ship selection lobby.

Life in the world – You'll find fish in the seas, and more birds in the air. How pleasantly delightful!

Pirate Selection - Now you can choose the pirate that best represents you! Eight pirates are generated when you first launch the game, don't like the look of them? Generate eight more! This pirate you select will be persistent for the duration of this Scale Test!

Persistent Pirate - Equipped your favourite outfit? Now when you leave the Sea of Thievesand re-join, your clothing & equipment is persistent between sessions!

Quick Menu - Tab on PC or Menu on Xbox One brings up a menu, which currently shows a brand new Voyage Inventory!

Equippable Items
New Radial Icons - Finally saved up for that cosmetic you've always dreamed of? Now your radial icons will display the items you have equipped, stare at it until your hearts content. What shiny icons you have!

Store Inventory Additions - From peg legs to pretty new spyglasses, the shop keepers have new items for you to purchase in their inventories.

Updated Bucket –Your bucket can now carry water from ship to ship, or sea to ship or sea, to tavern, to ship, imagine the possibilities.

Vanity Chest - Want to change up your pirate's look with a beard and eye patch? Visit the vanity chest on your ship to transform your inner pirate into your outer pirate!

Voyage Inventory - Players can now carry a maximum of 3 voyages.

Weapon Limit - Pirates are now limited to equipping 2 weapons, so choose wisely!

Weapon Shop - The weapon shop has been restocked with new items. Maybe something new will take your fancy... oh, is that a new Eye of Reach?!

Island Updates
Booby Trapped Chests – You've solved the riddle, found the x which marks the spot and you're ready to dig up some well deserved treasure.. but beware! Some treasure chests are now guarded by the skeletons of pirates who are determined to keep you from their buried treasure! How will you know if it's booby trapped? Dig and find out!

NPC Dialogue & Reactions - The NPCs now have a lot more to say, some have gotten used to you visiting them and now will wave you into their store. Maybe you'll catch one laughing? Was it something you said?

Skeleton Difficulty - With greater status comes greater challengers! The skeletons now scale in difficulty depending on your progression in the Sea of Thieves.

Washed Up Items -

The seas are now giving up their treasures, so make sure to scour beaches for:

• Message in a bottle - Keep an eye out for a glint in the sand! The contents may make it worth your while...
  • Treasure Artifacts - These treasures were once hidden in the depths thought lost forever, turn them in to the Gold Hoarders who will happily take these off your hands.
  • Treasure Chests - Thought a chest was lost? Think again, it might wash up on a sandy shore.
  • Resources - Island restocking just got more fun.

Player Settings
Windows 10 PC Specific Settings

Make sure you have installed the latest drivers for your graphics cards.

PC Text Box - Press T to freely type in the text box.