passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Yakuza 0

DANGERMAN

This game is excellent. 

I've spent most of my time walking around taking in the sights and doing substories. Just started chapter 3. Really happy I went all in digital for this. My first Yakuza game, now I know what I've been missing out on. It's so good. 

58 minutes ago, regemond said:

My copy just turned up at work. I hate you both @DANGERMAN and @Blakey.

I was trying to avoid this, then you both said it's a good starting point and now I have Zelda: TP, SS and soon BOTW to get through, this, and Mass Effect to come. I'm on a self-imposed games buying ban.

O was in a similar place. I never bothered jumping in as I didn't want to come in so late. Now they're remaking the first or something and this is a prequel I thought why not. 

It's really good. I'd recommend it. Just do it when you can. I want to do Resi, Zelda, Horizon all before Mass Effect, but I doubt I will. Ill pick em up later when no doubt they'll be cheaper. Can't see much releasing in Apr/May/June as of yet. 

On 2/8/2017 at 3:06 PM, regemond said:

My copy just turned up at work. I hate you both @DANGERMAN and @Blakey.

I was trying to avoid this, then you both said it's a good starting point and now I have Zelda: TP, SS and soon BOTW to get through, this, and Mass Effect to come. I'm on a self-imposed games buying ban.

:lol: It's raining games right now that's for sure! I've got Nioh to play after this and before BOTW too so will be doing some juggling of my own at some point.

Played another 2 hours earlier myself, about 36 total now, would've played more but had a bad migraine come on :(

Mostly just dossed about doing the real estate stuff with Kiryu, bought one of the Electronics King's properties then did a side quest where you have to play lots of OutRun to impress the Arcade attendant...who then promises you a 'ride' Kiryu gets excited thinking he's got his leg over (there's even a zoom shot of both their crotches with moaning at one point :lol: ) only to find out the 'ride' she was referring to was a ride on the new Arcade machine Super Hang-On :lol: so fucking funny.

So yeah up to about 16% in that, buildings cost lots more there so will take a lot more time to save up all the cash I need to buy them all, so after upgrading Kiryu's abilities a bit more (mostly put a lot of points into Beast) I carried on with the story, finished Chapter 10 and ended up back in Sotonbori with Majima.

Shame I couldn't get more done but I just couldn't play with a bad migraine, more tomorrow.

Another 4 hour session earlier. 40 total.

Messed around with the Hostess partnership stuff with Majima for a while, watching loads of Erotic videos *ahem* to befriend the video guy, then had to leg it around looking for some random video from some mythical white lady or some shit...everything turns out a bit like the film The Ring, pretty sure it was an intentional reference, pretty cool. Partnered Sunshine with his video place to get my fans up a bit then scoped out Club Mars and knocked about a few goons.

Not too much else to do (ran around a lot of times trying to find side quests to no avail) apart from the Hostess mini-game stuff (which I'm reluctant to go back to after my migraine) so carried on with the story for a bit, once I got back control of Kiryu with his endless stomach ability I went around completing all the restaurants in Sotonbori before carrying on with the story once again.

Playing as Majima I had to sneak myself into the Police Station to talk to Nishikani (leader of the Kijin Family) which involved having to fight in the underwater coliseum for some corrupt copper, seriously WHAT THE FUCK moment as the boat on the river opened up and we both descended down beneath the river bed :lol:

So yeah, talked to Nishitani, had to beat him up again (which unsurprisingly got him 'rock hard' :lol: ) then the go awry when a different copper decides to kill Nishitani and the bent copper that helped you, which means you have to leg it out of there and to another area of the city where the Nyoko Corporation has Makoto safe and sound. A dungeon ensues, killing lots and lots of enemies (love the break dancing style for crowds) which was great, then had to beat Sera at the end of it (leader of the NC), before Sagawa turns up and shoots him, then the reveal that Sera had Kiryu's Tachibana Real Estate card in his top pocket!

Switches to Kiryu, now in Sotonbori with Oda, we now have to go to the same place as Majima (Benten Inn) in another area of Osaka, we pick her up ok, but then a chase sequence ensues which is fuckin' rad! Turns first person and a bit time crisis for a while as you hang out the window shooting lots of dudes on bikes with circles around them and reloading at the right time, then you're chased by a helicopter, shoot that down and explosions happen EVERYWHERE, bloody great stuff, had a big stupid grin on my face!

Pull over with Makoto and Oda after then when there's another twist in proceedings, and this one I definitely didn't see coming, Oda is working for Saragawa and has betrayed Tachibana! What a bastard, tries to shoot you and Makoto, Makoto stabs him then you high tail it out of there, that's where I left if for today.

So yeah, lots of story progress, think I'm coming towards the end now, up to Chapter 14, should be able to carry on with Kiryu's real estate stuff before I go back to the story in earnest.

Another 4/5 hours yesterday, 44/45 total. Focused mostly on the Real Estate activities.

Bought all the Electronics King properties and defeated him (failed at the OutRun challenge though...5 million points?! Fuck me, not possible for me), then moved on to the Pleasure King, bought all his properties and eventually defeated him then moved onto the Gambling King, damn those properties cost a lot! Will take me a bit longer to buy all them but it shouldn't take me too long hopefully.

Making about 240 million Yen every ten minutes or so (bought all the upgrades in the Shrine) so got plenty of cash to buy everything I need just takes a bit of patience waiting for all the money to roll in from time to time, but yeah, just the Gambling King area to go before I unlock the Media King area, befriended the Pocket Circuit Fighter in preparation for that, need to befriend the receptionist at Mach Bowl too tomorrow to take over that property.

Absolutely loving it though, got such a Vice City vibe about it, making such an absolutely ridiculous amount of cash it's amazing, can't help but feel like an absolute boss, a feel cool side quests along the way, one with a fake Steven Spielberg and Michael Jackson :lol:, another with a telephone sex lady that turned out to be a male kidnapper/extortionist, helping out a Tax inspector take down my next door neighbour and I got screwed over by a lady selling 'special' water which actually wasn't very special :lol: all fantastic.

No story progress yesterday., want to finish off all the Retail stuff before I go back to that I think.

6 hours spent this weekend purely on the Real Estate management, 51 total.

Since I'd come so far in it already and had 3/5 areas I wanted yo finish it off, easily got the Gambling King area but struggled a bit with the Media King area, became a bit of a grind.

Properties before the Media King only cost me about ¥327 million at the most but the Media King area was a HUGE step up, going up to almost ¥1 billion per property, which meant a lot of grinding had to be done, ended up getting the cooker timer and putting it on for 10 minutes whilst watching TV or something, then going back to game and investing in all the properties before starting the collection and going back to the TV again, did this for quite a while and eventually saved up ¥8 billion to buy all the areas I needed.

Can't say it was very fun towards the end and sometimes felt a bit like an f2p mobile game waiting for all the timers to tick down at the end, but damn was it satisfying and so SO worth it with the rewards you get for owning all the areas.

Pleased I got it out the way anyway, will now mainline the story ow and hopefully finish it off so I can move onto Nioh.

Finished it earlier in a 5.5 hour session, 56.5 total.

Pretty much just mainlined the story, enjoyed it a lot but it couldn't quite keep up the momentum from Chapter 14 and got bogged down a bit at times, surprisingly emotional too at points and it was fantastic to see how certain characters like Majima became the Men they are in later games, lots of fan service with Kiryu's suit colour too at the end.

Definitely the best Yakuza game I've played, phenomenal genuinely funny side quests, great mini-games and tons of depth with the hostess club and real estate management missions in addition to a fantastic story, cannot recommend it enough.

Kiwami can't come soon enough.

Finished it last night. What a great little game. In an industry where you seem to get AAA carved up an sold off as DLC, microstransactions, or just plain dull, it was a joy to play this.

Plenty of story. It is, but so what if it's cheesy with plenty of soap opera. It was in the very least, entertaining. With the larger than life characters, twists and turns it made me want to binge on the story. I had to rein myself in a bit because if you plow into the story the chapters whizz by.

Thankfully there were plenty of distractions. Not mundane fetch quests or collectathons that plague most games either. Rewarding not just in the amusement they provide but also actual rewards Kiryu/Goro can use. I didn't bother with most of the mini game stuff. I enjoyed a good 60% of the subquests. Enjoyed both the money making management Sims and got super rich. I felt full and happy once I plowed on with the main story, but there's plenty there for completionists.

The violence was one of the highlights. Every punch and suplex felt. How some of the guys weren't dead from the punishment :lol:  it helped stave off some of the tedium that could've crept in when being harassed by little goons wandering the streets. I didn't bother with the weapons. Why would I? I'm a living weapon. Knives n guns are for pussies not the DRAGON OF DOJIMA! RRRAAAAAAGH!!!  :lol:

So yeah. Look forward to more. I did play Yakuza when it was released, but my memory of it is sketchy enough that I'd enjoy a replay in the upcoming remake. :D

• 1 month later...

What the holy fuck is this game?

In the first two chapters I've been challenged to a dance off, accosted by a dude in a trench coat, produced a film (and then got into a fight over it), helped an MJ ripoff make a Thriller ripoff with the direction of a Steven Spielberg ripoff, and bought 20,000 yen champers for a hobo.

I'm not sure what the hell this game is about, but fuck it, let's just go with it.

• 3 months later...

With Nier out of the way, I've restarted this.

Not a great start, a real slow burn. The action is great but at the moment I'm stuck in Basil Exposition mode and my attention is wandering. Hopefully the story isn't important as Japanese voice acting plus not paying attention to the screen isn't a great combination for following what's going on.