passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

radiofloyd

Oxenfree was released way back in January which I guess makes it a retro title by today's standards. I don't know about the PS4 or Xbox One but it's currently heavily discounted on Steam so now is as good a time to pick it up as any. As it turns out, I already own it. It looks like this.

ss_aae01eea5fc489c7fbb20c2e92440c1cf92f4

ss_75af452f6e7f6c5dc1ada4f001abcccac6c57

I just played it for sixteen minutes so I can give you sixteen minutes worth of impressions. So far it's been a pleasant side-scrolling walk and talk simulator. Not a million miles from Life is Strange if Life is Strange was side-scrolling. The conversations so far have been kind of typical preppy American teenage stuff. At the beginning of the game the characters are heading to some kind of after dark party on an island. The main point I'd like to make is that the game has a really good electronic soundtrack. The art style has a bit of Kentucky Route Zero.

Finished this. Took me 5.3 hours at my snail's pace. I hope nobody bought it on the strength of my recommendation, it's really not very good. It's interesting for an hour or two but it quickly becomes tedious. I said that it has a good electronic soundtrack - it doesn't, a lot of the time the background is just static, but the audio is one of the better elements of the game, especially the snatches of random music and dialogue you can tune in on the radio. It's an interesting idea, and I like this concept for a game (walking along, having conversations) and it's definitely something a bit different, but the gameplay itself is tedious and the story is not interesting. And the dialogue is just awful. A large chunk of it anyway. I'm surprised it has a Very Positive rating on steam. I'd give it a 5 or a 6 out of 10.

• 1 year later...

I bought it again in the sale despite not being a huge fan of it back in October '16. I think it might have been a case of just me playing it at a bad time, so I'm definitely going to go through it again at some point.