passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Darkest Dungeon

radiofloyd

ss_04572edc979601b038756f87861c6f8c6c337

Quoting the kickstarter - "Darkest Dungeon is a challenging gothic roguelike RPG about the psychological stresses of adventuring. Descend at your peril!"

Anyway, it was funded for over $300,000 in March 2014, spent a year on Early Access and eventually released in January this year. It's due out on PS4 later in the summer. It got good reviews and and has a "very positive" Steam user rating with around 15,000 votes.

I've played it for an hour so far, it's cool. The game is structured like Sunless Sea in that you have a base, a safe haven, where you can buy provisions, recruit new members, take on quests etc etc. You can only set out with a party of four each time, but you can have way more than four people hired. One of the things you can do in the base camp or "hamlet" is assign people to certain activities which will reduce stress (like dread in Sunless Sea). If someone is assigned to an activity, you can't take them with you on your next trip. I'm not going to drone on about the mechanics in the game, but it is pretty similar to Sunless Sea really.

Combat is turn based. Your party stands in formation and different characters have a preferred position...it's not what it sounds like. Both yours and the enemies position will affect the range of your attacks. That's all I can say about it so far. I did the introductory quest.

• 1 year later...

I picked this up on PSN last night for £7 and it's the dog's danglies! I'm only two-three hours in and it can be quite punishing, but there's some neat systems in here. I love some of the quirks you get - characters suffer from stress so you have to send them to the bar or church to destress, and I have a Doctor that will only destress at a brothel.

Controls are a bit clunky, but the depth of gameplay more than makes up for it.

I'm finding my approach to gaming has changed a lot over the past year - finding the time to get stuck into games with long running campaigns doesn't seem to happen so anything with a bit of depth that I can pick up and play for an hour or so, then come back to a week later seems to be scratching the itch, and this fits the bill perfectly. I'll probably pick it up for the switch when i get one.

It's pretty tough going - had my first death last night at the end of a pretty gruelling quest, although he was a new ranged character so I wasn't that annoyed. The sheer number of character classes and abilities is great though, I'm loving the 'Flagellant':

"The Flagellant belongs to an extremist faction within the church, and is generally regarded with a toxic mixture of fear, awe and disgust. The power he draws from martyrdom is as effective as it is unsettling - in one moment he is a fountain of healing renewal, and the next, a conduit of terrible wrath. His full potential is realized only the brink of madness... or death."

Finding a good combination of characters that work well together is really satisfying. My current favourite is a Man-at-Arms at the front, an Occultist second, a ranged character third and the Houndmaster at the back (his dog can reduce the stress of the other characters).

On 22/11/2017 at 12:49 PM, Chimay said:

I'm finding my approach to gaming has changed a lot over the past year - finding the time to get stuck into games with long running campaigns doesn't seem to happen so anything with a bit of depth that I can pick up and play for an hour or so, then come back to a week later seems to be scratching the itch, and this fits the bill perfectly. I'll probably pick it up for the switch when i get one.

Same. I'd rather sit and take the time to learn a system heavy game (preferably multiplayer) which i can go back to at my leisure than play something which needs a bit of commitment.  

Discovering Paradox's grand strategy stuff and HoMM/King's Bounty this year has been a big gaming plus for me.

If you haven't played it before @Chimay HoMM3 is on sale at GOG atm for £1.80 and runs on everything. 5 is good too if you want something prettier. i think they'll be your sort of thing. https://www.gog.com/promo/20171121_black_friday_homm_bundle

Sadly I haven't got a PC, although I'm pretty sure I remember playing one of the HoMM games back in the day, although memories of it are hazy. I couldn't help but think Darkest Dungeon would make one hell of a board game, and then I found this:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Jqt3e

Sadly it's a game someone mocked up themselves, based around Dead of Winter.

FMqNvMd.jpg

Picked the full DLC version in the sale, hopefully get a chance to play it over the next few days.

I’m mostly looking forward to changing the mental image I have every time I hear the name - I keep thinking it’s a twin-stick arcade game, even though I know it’s not.

On 24/11/2017 at 11:16 AM, Chimay said:

Sadly I haven't got a PC, although I'm pretty sure I remember playing one of the HoMM games back in the day, although memories of it are hazy.

Maybe the one with the match 3 type combat on 360/DS etc? That game was good too but this is completely different. 

There's actually a port of HoMM3 on IOS/mobile but it's a complete money grabbing mess. 

14 hours ago, Hendo said:

Picked the full DLC version in the sale, hopefully get a chance to play it over the next few days.

I’m mostly looking forward to changing the mental image I have every time I hear the name - I keep thinking it’s a twin-stick arcade game, even though I know it’s not.

Nice, now we can all cry into our keyboards together. :lol:

Did the first two quests, on the second one with a party of 4. I believe I have 2 healers and 2 damage dealers, I guess it’s the same for everyone starting out?

I’m finding it a bit fiddly to get my head round the controls but it’s seems pretty good so far.

Well I’ve had two bad runs now and had my whole party wipe. Not even in a hard dungeon!

I feel like I’m really misunderstanding some of the mechanics and systems so I’m probably going to start over after I find a good video guide.

Found a video, only watched part of it so far though.

I didn’t do anything with the trinkets, never knew about camping and a few other bits I didn’t understand before.

I’m gonna do a fresh save and make an MFG party. Rename heroes to forum members and see who survives!

And so it begins.

AB3C55F0-F908-46FB-8EE0-D60AA6EF73A8.jpeg

@DANGERMAN sounds confident. @retroed has a gun. @illdog is a plague doctor (which sounded about right) and I am a healer, as always.

More heroes will enter, many will die.

First quest together was a success. I kept everyone alive while Ben and Ed shot and stabbed everyone. illdog helped heal but also threw stun grenades which helped a lot.

Finishing the quest, Ben is now Beast Slayer but has a fear of mankind. I have Deviant Tastes. I feel they picked the wrong character for that particular trait.

8818AAAE-CA7F-4B03-A71C-598099C66CB6.jpeg