passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

DOOM

illdog

Doom! Doom is back! ROAR etc.

And after a 5.02 gig update I got to play it too. After a pleasingly short intro you're straight in to the action because stories are for girls. The movement is super slick, old school Doom style, you really ping about like you are wearing buttery shoes or cum-laden socks. Certain enemies dont hang about either.

You start off with a pistol but soon pick up a Shotgun. You can shoot enemies to death or.. shoot them till they stager, then they glow orange and blue and this is your prompt to melee them to death in what's called a 'Glory Kill'. The benefit of this is that it makes health pop out of the dying bad guys body. If in real life you stabbed someone in the head and cake popped out would you do it? I've added an Assault Rifle, Plasma Gun and a Chainsaw to my arsenal since. The actual weapons can be upgraded from these little floating robots you see here and there, for example my shotgun can be charged by holding the L trigger, then upon firing with R it spits out powerful explosive rounds (that then need a small cooling off period before re-use). Each weapon actually seems to have two upgrades each, Ive so far also upgraded my Assault Rifle to spit out a volley of missiles which is cool and a second shotgun one that lets you fire rounds in quick succession. You can swich between uprgades with Up on the D-Pad.

The chainsaw is a little different. So far it has three fuel cells. The bigger the enemy, the more fuel cells it will take to kill. The plus of using your chainsaw is that it will cause enemies it kills to spill ammo, super handy if your running low so using it it becomes tacticle. Also, the fuel cells have to be refilled by little gas containers that seem to be scarce so far, this obviously stops you using it all the time as it's a one hit kill machine so they had to nerf it or the game would be a piece of piss. It's a really good idea and well used.

The levels are fairly decent in size, i have only done the first three but the third level was pretty big. The story is there, it's just introduced slowly and in bits instead of a big lump at the beginning. You bump in to a couple of people along the way, i wont spoil the story incase your interested in discovering it yourself but there's hsit going on, giving you purpose I suppose, if it's needed. I had to use the map to find my way a couple of times as the in-game pointers send you in a specific direction but there are two or three levels of depth sometimes and there is no up or down indicator. This isn't a problem, just saying. The doors make the same sounds as in the original too, i liked that. You need red, blue and yellow keys too which is a nice touch and you pick up green armour in both bits and in whole, like a floating chestplate, just like back in the day.

What else. You upgrade your armour, like you can make yourself less vunerable to environmental hazards like exploding barrels and you can give yourself a spidey sense to detect secret areas (of which there are apparently tons but I think i've only found one). There are also in game missions that reward you with upgrade tokens, like kill two enemies with one shotgun blast or melee kill x number of enemies in a certain way. You also get rewards for killing a certain amount of enemies which I just narrowly missed on the third level.

It's kinda tough. I'm playing on Hurt Me Plenty (normal) and I've died a few times. The enemies are furious and when they are in number it can be a battle to survive. This is a good thing, makes you play cautiously, backing off where you can, going for glory kills to top up your health, hopping you've saved a chainsaw use to earn some extra ammo.

Finally, not far in to the game, scenery wise it reminded me of Metroid. Sandy scenery as far as the eye could see and a desolate lonely feeling. And later, when I was battling hordes of enemies with a similar backdrop I got to thinging how cool a Metroid game with these controls could be. But that's just a deam.

Anyways, I wont get to play this again untill Saturday but then I was gonna have a go on the multiplayer and report back. Enjoying this so far.

All big letters but it aint no acronym?

I saw a lot of footage of this a while ago, and that combined with your impressions makes me think a lot of that game Bulletstorm with the additional mechanics chucked in seemingly at random but also quite entertainingly so who cares.

8 minutes ago, Sambob said:

All big letters but it aint no acronym?

I saw a lot of footage of this a while ago, and that combined with your impressions makes me think a lot of that game Bulletstorm with the additional mechanics chucked in seemingly at random but also quite entertainingly so who cares.

All caps when you spell the games name?

I dunno dude, this is like Bulletstorm in the fact it's an FPS. I guess some of the glory kills are simiar to some of the brutal kills but that's where the similarities stop imo.

Played a bit this morning before work. Given how much it feels like you need mouse movement to deal with that speed I do wonder how they've got around it on the consoles 

It starts really fucking well. In the first kill room I jumped up to a ledge, shotgunned a demon in the stomach, jumped over an incoming fireball and shot the demon responsible in the face, landed next to another one that I glory killed. It's proper nonsense fun so far and I could see some people getting ridiculously good at it 

this is such a good game. Granted it's "this is such a good game if you like this sort of thing" because I could easily see loads of people hating it, but it's great.

Found a secret retro level today. Apparently there's one on every level, I didn't think I'd seen one, turns out I'd found the one on the first level (it's a door I couldn't work out how to open), found the switch, played some retro Doom. I will say though, knowing that there's so many secrets, like the little Doom guys, when you don't find them it's infuriating, and I don't really care about collectables 

It's weird that something as horrible and violent as Doom feels so friendly and welcoming, like it's a haunted house ride with your mates. I'm playing it and laughing every few minutes, which given what's going on on the screen, probably not the best image to put across. 

Found a double (super) shotgun, the reload on it is horrendous which is a shame, but I'm assuming that's something that can be modded out of it when I get my next pick up

I was massively under using the map. It shows you where stuff is so it turns out. Who would have thunk it? Even knowing where to go on the map doesnt mean you'll find what your looking for, they've done a good job of hiding things.

I havent played any retro DOOM levels yet, that sounds awesome. I have found some of the little DOOM dolls though, they're always hidden away and it feels good to discover them.

I've enjoyed trying to go for the levels specific challenges, something to keep in the back of your mind whilst going for the next objective or exploring. The last level i did (level 4 i think) introduced Runes. They take you to a challenge room where I had to kill 15 imps in the time limit. Successful completion of these some give you perk like rewards - infinite ammo at 100 Armor, increase length of stagger effects to initiate your glory kill - stuff like that. They're hidden tho (surprise) so you have to find themand complete the challenge. They can also be mastered, I have one that increases the range in which I absorb items and I think I have to absorb 300 items with this rune equiped for mastery, fuck knows what benifits mastery gives.

Once the weapons are fully upgraded you get mastery tasks for them too. This game just keeps on giving. :) Just need some fucking time to play it.

that's the level I've just done too. There's 2 runes on that level but I've only got 1 slot, so I've stuck with the absorbtion. I also died in some lava, unrelated, but Doom Guy sticks his thumb up a la Terminator 2 :lol:

with the retro levels, you unlock 1 room (or the one I did was 1 room), but then if you go back to the main menu you can play the level that's from

I've watched the first twenty or so minutes of this on youtube and it looks great - good to hear your all having a good time with it! Very fond memories of being hunched around a rich mates PC playing Doom 2 back in the day and I always thought Doom 3 missed the point a bit. Has anyone braved the multiplayer yet?

3 hours ago, Chimay said:

I've watched the first twenty or so minutes of this on youtube and it looks great - good to hear your all having a good time with it! Very fond memories of being hunched around a rich mates PC playing Doom 2 back in the day and I always thought Doom 3 missed the point a bit. Has anyone braved the multiplayer yet?

I have. It's alright y'know. It's not as fast paced as the actual game but it's still pretty slick. It's honestly exactly what you'd expect exept it has loadouts so you can be a badass with a chaingun, a cunt with a rocket launcher or a fucker with a shotgun (all plus one other complimentary weapon). Na mean? Only played team deathmatch but played five, won five. #God. Oh, you get to be a big demon if your first to grab the rune that is slapped in a random place in the map, it reminds me of being a Big Daddy in Bioshock 2 MP.

This is far from the scariest game ive ever played but im finding the whole thing really fucking tense. There are times when the game tests you by throwing multiple strong enemies at you at once - these are real tests of you skill, juggling glory kills for health and chainsaw kills for ammo. It's these bits that really get my heart pumping, to the point I can only seem to take one level at a time, then I switch the game off so I can relax a little.

As a side to me being a pussy, I'm taking the time to explore each level as much as I can and I seem to be averaging about an hour and a half per level! This game is pretty big or so it seems.

Very similar with me. At the weekends I'll play for longer, but after work it's about an hour max. Maybe the difference is that the levels are harder now so it takes more 

I've been trying to get all the secrets as I go too, or heading back and redoing a level at a later date. Redid an early level last night and it felt so easy, it wasn't first time round and I was still trying to just use the super shotgun and pistol as that's the ammo that was laying around the map. Anyway, it's still great, but I was expecting to be done with it by now, which isn't a complaint, but I think I've still got 2 more levels to do 

@mr lakituYou need fuel for it bruh, little gas cannisters as you Americans would say. They're little red containers that glow like the weapon ammo pickups do.

@DANGERMAN I think i'm only hlafway through, i've just done the level

in hell (the last level ended in me warping to hell). It was awesome.

I say halfway through based on the amount runes left to unlock. Speaking of runes, the challenges arent particularly hard but they sure arent easy. Or is it just me?

Yeah you're probably halfway through in terms of levels but less in terms of time. It starts getting harder in hell, you don't stay there that long but one of the later ones is brilliant, it's like Quake 

@mr lakituyou have to switch to the chainsaw, on pc it's g not sure about consoles, havent a look at the options. It does tell you button only once. It's a one hit kill on just about everything but the tougher the enemy the more fuel it takes. Killing enemies with it drops loads of ammo. The fuel is quite common later on so you don't need to save for special occasions after the first few levels 

got to say, for something that buries its narrative so much, I really liked the performance of the human doctor. She has about 10 lines in the whole game, but there's something very off about how she delivers them, some grand evil. I might load the game back up and go through the story notes at some point

I've not quite got all the Doom guys so that's something else I might do, hopefully they do some single player dlc at some point

Great game, I finished it Saturday morning and immediately loaded up an earlier level to collect the secrets in. I really didn't expect an fps to be my game of the year but I'll be pleasantly surprised if Doom isn't

Yea, I was of the opinion that this is GOTY so far. The level design is so well done, a perfect mix of combat and exploration every time.

I've just been back through some earlier levels myself and agree with Dangerman when he said they now seem really easy. I pissed all over the first couple of levels, finding all the collectibles and completing some challenges I missed but I am levelled up massively compared to my first runs through. My Super Shotgun is my best friend.

Speaking of weapons, has anyone been doing the weapon challenges after unlocking the extras? If not I'd say its well worth it, you unlock some good stuff, plus its good fun trying to kill enemies in different ways. Same with the runes too. I'm only missing one now (dont know how I missed it) but of all the ones I have only two aren't maxed.

The game continues to be funny in a subtle way. Some of the codex entries are lulz in a fairly dry way (plus I noticed one of the company abbreviations spells NADS) but... I found one of the Doom dolls on a later level and when I picked it up my character looked at it on an angle, lifted the dolls little arm up, twisted its Lego like hand and and gave it a fist bump, fluttering his fingers as he pulled his own hand away. Made me chuckle.

I've just killed the

Cyberdemon. Also, the BFG is great! Yea!

. This game continues to be excellent and it's a fucking lovely surprise.

I finished this over the weekend, had a big old mammoth session on Saturday.

I wasn't as keen on the Hell levels as I was the ones based on Mars itself which made the climax of the game imo not as great as the main core. Not to say I hated the end, I just did't enjoy it as much (i'm refering to the final two levels specifically). They felt like the old Doom too much, an backward step at the wrong time.

Let that not take anything away from the game as a whole which was excellent. I got all the collectables, did all the challenges, upgraded all the weapons to max inc mastery challenges and found and upgraded all runes and very much enjoyed doing so. It feels like a tragedy that more people here aren't playing it but I guess that's the problem with releasing a game so close to a popular title like Overwatch.

Give it a go though, don't let it slip off your radar because it's a hell of a ride (no pun intended).