passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Overwatch

spatular

cheers for the games Duck!

it's early days, and a bit all over the place, but i quite like what i've played of this so far. i worry i'll get annoyed with the aiming in the long run. needs more auto aim imo.

I think they were saying you needed to have pre ordered by the 29th for early access. I totally forgot about that till today. So I think we got lucky @Sambob as I think we both might of pre ordered on the 29th.

It might just let you in if you pre order on PSN tho. Who knows. 

Anyways, played with @spatular and his friends in a group of 5 tonight. I loved it.

Mainly played Mercy and supporting, healing and reviving people. She also has buff damage beam so she isn't always hanging at the back. 

What is also neat she has a move where if you have clear sight of a team mate you can launch yourself to them. Which is useful to dodge or escape enemies not just getting to team mate to support. 

It seems of what I played the character skill sets are quite small but there's a lot you can do with them which is cool. 

Day 1'ing for sure. 

Pre-ordered on PSN a couple hours ago, and then cancelled pre-order. Played the tutorial then had server issues and couldn't get back in. Looks lovely though and controls feel good. There's no doubt I'll be keeping my pre-order with The Game Collection. After seeing what Blizzard can do on console with Diablo III and the support it has had, I have no hesitations. 

I will admit that I had about an hour where i was very often on the losing side and I started to lose my hard-on but I put that largely down to it being a beta/demo and being teamed with people that either werent used to the game or the genre and so i was frequently teamed with shit players just running about and jumping rather than trying to do the winning. Thats fine by the way I was just unlucky to have got a long run of being dicked over from it, apart from that I really enjoyed all of it and clicked with a few characters and can see how I could get used to a few others.

So far my favourites are the robot that turns into a turret, bounty (EDIT: Bastion) or something like that, Hanzo the ninja with the bow and arrows and Mercy the floating healer. I also really like the robot healer, although my performances with him have been very hit and miss, ive had games where ive been a demon with him, healing and killing in equal measures but also games where he just gets utterly neutralised and seems to get killed by only a few shots (think his name is Zenyata). I had a lot of early success with Genji, the cyborg ninja but again I had games where i was great and then others where i was totally shit. Apart from all that ive not had massive success with any others but also havnt had a sustained run with them either.

Played 3 hours earlier, absolutely loved it.

It feels so damn polished, it runs buttery smooth and the depth of all the characters is just phenomenal.

The moves sets are so deep and varied it takes a while too get used to the different characters (it's like a fighting game in that regard) and how they all work and exist alongside other types of characters on the same side.

Never really played anything like it, I guess TF2 is probably the closest, but I don't remember that being anywhere near as deep and varied in its characters and gameplay as this. The maps are all incredibly well designed, usually in an MP game I have a few maps I don't like but I liked them all in this and there are a lot of them.

I'm not usually very good at MP shooters, so I started out being a healer. Zenyatta has always appealed in the video I've seen of it, so I started out with him, didn't get on too well so moved over to Mercy (who I loved) then briefly Symmetry (didn't like much) and Lucio (who was OK, but I feel he'll take a bit of getting used to).

Experimented more after this when we needed different character types on a team, tried D. Va, Reinhardt tanks then Bastion, Mei, Thorbjorn and Windowmaker in defence and Tracer in Offence. Didn't get on with Reinhardt or Windowmaker, Thorbjorn was ok , loved D. Va, Bastion and Mei.

Still plenty more characters to try though, feel like I've barely scratched the surface!

Yeah it won't be for everyone.

Have to say my enjoyment of it wavered a bit yesterday, I only played 3 hours but the lack of game modes and mild frustration when I was getting my arse handed to me got to me a bit I have to say.

I've kept my pre-order at the moment, as when it's fun it's bloody fun, but certain things are starting to grate a bit now. The lack of game modes for example, there's only 4 and they're all quite similar to one another, some characters appear to be massively overpowered too (not sure if this is intentional or not), I had a game of Assault earlier and three of the guys on the enemy team were Bastion it was just impossible to get anywhere near the capture zone without being annihilated repeatedly, apparently there are characters that can counter them (Windowmaker, McCree etc.) but no one was skilled enough or experienced enough in that game to figure it out.

I've definitely kind of picks my favourite characters now too, I tried out a few more today and none of them really clicked apart from Zarya who is a great Tank character, still not tried a few of the attacking characters though so will probably do that tomorrow. I think Support will be the best way to play, Lucio seems the best all-rounder to me as he can actually do some damage, is incredibly helpful and just feels great to play, I like Mercy too but feel she's a bit dull and if you get caught 1-on-1 you're pretty much dead straight away, her pistol hardly does anything. Zenyatta is an interesting one as I feel at-home using him but he doesn't seem as useful as Lucio when backs are against the wall, his attacks do more damage but he has less health and his little balls of health can only help one chap out at a time whereas Lucio can heal a load of people in one go (or make them super-speed), not trying Symmetra again either, hated playing as her.

It's a lovely, smooth, fluid game with a nice range of characters who feel like they'll take time to get the most out of. But it really feels like a sugar rush and I'd worry there's no depth or longevity. If I was to buy it I suspect it would go the way of Star Wars Battlefront - intense initial play and then dust gathering boredom.

To offer balance, I will talk about some of the negatvies for me so far.

You can get into a situation where you are either never going to make progress capturing the point, or alternatively you cannot possibly get out of your spawn point. It could be argued that this is either good defensive or offensive play by the other team, but either way its frustrating as fuck. Definitely to be stuck in your spawn point is frustrating but almost worse to have to trudge all the way to the final capture point from your spawn point just to die again, and do it over is very annoying and when you get a few games in a row like that its not fun, usually ends up with me leaving mid game to find a more enjoyable game.

I agree too with the frustration regarding not enough gameplay modes, even after a good hour or so of solid winning you can get a bit tired of the lack of variation. Once youve had a good play as most of the characters, with not a ton of unlocking stuff, no additional weapons or powers to speak of, then I dont know what would keep you coming back.

I remember reading that nothing was gated off in terms of levelling up and that you get everything from the off and thinking how it was a bold and admirable move on the developers behalf, but actually there just isnt much to unlock. Each character has their unique weapon and power set, which is incredibly unique, but there is no scope for customisation after that. You could argue that its all in aid of making the game more balanced, they are effectively giving you lots of different classes which can indeed work to break a deadlock when combined well against whichever combination the opposite team has made.

Good games, Different Class. Was good to have you on the team, and I like that we get an XP boost at the end for being in a group.

I got my first Player of the Game video today, although it's not really anything spectacular (I was on an 11 kill streak, mind).

And another highlight reel, playing as Tracer:

Yeah, good games, Ed.

I didn't do that well most of the time.  That was the first time I played it and not knowing the maps is a big downfall at the moment.  So often I was flanked by someone taking a route I didn't even know was there.  I had a good run with Reinhardt.  He's easy to use with just having a hammer and a shield so I'd just find a good place to pop him and play purely as support with some occasional hammering.

I also had some good runs with Widowmaker but I've not played an FPS for a while so I'm missing where I feel I ordinarily wouldn't.  Practise is needed I guess.  I did okay with Genji as well.  His throwing stars are pretty much a Halo 2 Battle Rifle so that was a nice surprise, and he has some good melee options.

But they were the only ones I really played.

I enjoyed it.  I'm still getting it.  There is no other online FPS out soonish so it's this or nowt, to be honest.  And I do want to shoot some things sometimes.

I actually really like playing support in this game, if you get a team with one or two decent supporters then its a real pleasure to play on, the problem is when you get lumped with people that are just trying it out and pick any old character. This game is a bit like a Battlefield game in that respect, the enjoyment is largely influenced by the players around you.

I love having a good game with Zenyata, you can heal your tank whilst increasing the damage the enemy tank takes and even chip in nicely with that 5 orb charge up attack, love killing a Tracer or Genji type player with 5 steel orbs to the face. In the same way if you can pair a lucio with a decent tank, like rienhardt, then your front line of attack is really hard to kill all whilst letting your attack players do good damage and then ducking behind the tank for cover and heals. It really is all about how the team play together, but I do get that feeling you had in Battlefield of really loving how much you can make a difference as a support player, full team revive with Mercy anyone?

I'm no expert at the game but..

If your team is getting choked at the entrance your team composition is probably wrong. Tank Reinhardt for his shield. Winston to close the gap quickly to your attacker. Pharaoh is useful against static characters Bastion and Widowmaker that might be covering the door. Using fast/agile characters to get behind them has work for me a few times too. It's all about composition.

I don't agree this is going to be like Battlefront with the player base dipping after a month. I liked Battlefront but it was very basic gameplay wise and had no real reason to come back to it. There wasn't much meat to it at all.

Where as Overwatch's gameplay is a lot deeper and Blizzard will support it more than DICE did for BF. Competitive play/ladders are going to extent it's life a lot too. 

Sam, know how we talked about that Reinhardt/Bastion tactic?

I worked out you can do this..

image.jpeg

It was fucking people up. If you added Bastion and Mercy to that pic, you basically got a payload killing machine.