passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Star Wars

Jimboxy

I’ll go and see Episode 9, I have to believe that they will undo the previous shit show and make something that at the very least doesn’t make me want to leave the cinema, mid film.

I half joked to a mate in work that the film should open with Luke waking up on the Jedi island going, “oh that was a terrible vision! Oh, I’m sorry - you said you found my light saber?”

And we start all over again.

It is, to be completely frank, one of the worst films I’ve ever seen in a cinema.

The prequels were largely boring but I was still caught up in the hype at the time of Episode 1’s release.

Force Awakens was not very original but a fun romp and what the series needed after the prequels.

Last Jedi is poorly made, poorly written, comedy that doesn’t land, characters that don’t behave like their characters should and just an overall mess of pointless plot meanderings.

I can’t see how anyone liked that absolute total piece of shit film.

@smallofbooty your avatar is Darth Tater! You should be the worst one here!

I dunno, I enjoyed TLJ as a film in it's own right, but not as a Star Wars film. It just didn't work for me as part of that series.

But then, I thought Star Wars was about the less well-known actors, so what do I know?

14 minutes ago, regemond said:

@smallofbooty your avatar is Darth Tater! You should be the worst one here!

I dunno, I enjoyed TLJ as a film in it's own right, but not as a Star Wars film. It just didn't work for me as part of that series.

But then, I thought Star Wars was about the less well-known actors, so what do I know?

I also own R2Potat2, SpudaFett, Spud Trooper and I think a Princess Leia one who's name escapes me. That's how serious I am about the new films (which I'm enjoying). 

Don't listen to @Hendo @Nag

See TLJ for yourself and make your own mind up, it's a divisive film but Hendo's reaction is perhaps the strongest I've seen anywhere and in my view completely unwarranted. The reviews and overall audience approval ratings are still excellent, it's just there's a very vocal minority that hate it and think Rian Johnson is the devil that shout from the rooftops and put others off even seeing it - which is a huge shame.

I get how TLJ can be perceived as an atypical Star Wars film in some folks' eyes and I also get why some folks didn't like it and some of their criticisms with the writing/plot but it isn't anywhere near as bad as he's making out and there are some truly excellent moments throughout. Also if you want to see Ep. IX at some point you won't have a clue what's going on.

No idea what else Hendo has seen at the cinema but they all must've been godawful if he thought this was anywhere near that bad :lol:  The only film I've ever been close to walking out on recently was Silence (the Scorsese film about Portuguese Priests attempting to spread the word of God in Japan in the 1500s) and back when I was a kid the truly awful Thunderpants starring a young Rupert Grint.

I feel like half of TLJ is a fantastic movie, and the other half of it is prequel level shite. 

Loved VII and looking forward to IX, I’m just hoping it isn’t two hours of retconning TLJ then forcing a mystery box ending.

5 hours ago, RikSP said:

Loved VII and looking forward to IX, I’m just hoping it isn’t two hours of retconning TLJ then forcing a mystery box ending.

Really think that's what it's gonna be. Great if it's not, horrible ending to the series/Skywalker saga if it is.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Managed to smuggle a copy of Solo and watched it tonight. I thought it was great. It now seems like a shame that the other Solo films they where planning got the chop. I think it was definitely a victim of Star Wars fatigue and Last Jedi backlash.

Both Ansel Elgort and Donald Glover are fantastic as Han and Lando. Although it's a bit on the nose (and because you sort of know how it all turns out, not a lot of peril) it was good seeing things happen that are referenced in the other films. 

Edit:

Alden Ehrenreich, not Ansel Elgort.

• 3 months later...

They really lost the momentum with nu Star Wars real quick.

Maybe when the IX trailer comes out it picks up again but it's definitely not a repeat of MCU success so far.

TLJ was a great looking film, best since the first one. But it's a mess of uninteresting plots getting in the way of the really vital stuff you want to follow and the chin-stroking meta-narrative of "leaving behind the old ways" isn't really that interesting.

A good example of a film which manages to do that sort of thing and have it fuel the action is Skyfall imo. The thematic metaphors were very strained in that film but every scene always felt like it had purpose while TLJ left me feeling rudderless as a viewer (albeit TLJ is trying for something "smarter").

I've watched that film twice now and still don't like it. At least on time two I had a phone to distract me from the crap bits with Finn, Poe and Rose.