passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mad Max

DisturbedSwan

Played the first hour and a half myself tonight as well, I definitely wasn't blown away by it, but I had fun with it, and it definitely gave me a kick to be in Max's world and to play as him being a fan of Fury Road. I was impressed though with how well polished everything is, some of the particle effects, sandstorms, explosions and the intricacy of the way the guy moves around on the back of your car is pretty cool, and they've stuck incredibly to the art design of Fury Road, some locations from the film have been mentioned and some enemies I've fought that were in the film already. It really does film like you could be cruising around in Fury Road, incredibly exhilarating feeling cruising around in your own car as Max, the voice acting helps a lot too, all been rather good and the story missions I've done so far have been better than I expected them to be.

The melee combat, so far, to me, has been the weakest part of the game, it has the template of the Batman: Arkham games, but somehow it just doesn't have the rhythm that that game employs to go from one enemy to another with ease and feel awesome as you do so, it just feels like an average kind of combat system, like they've just got the combat template from Rocksteady, dumbed it down a bit and thrown it in the game, already feels a bit repetitive as well, but it can be satisfying, again, early on though.

Seems like a huge game too, in my session earlier I was just pretty much going through the opening tutorials and main story missions to get my car, meet certain characters and learn all the mechanics of the game, but there is a lot to get stuck into, not encountered any side-missions as such, but there's been a few side-activities I've got distracted by already when they show on the map and collecting scrap and making sure you've picked it all up at a certain location is already rather addictive.

Definitely seems like Avalanche/WB have employed a Ubisoft-style design philosophy as well, everything I've seen and done so far has been reminiscent of what you do in the Far Cry games in particular, like scouting bases, then liberating them to wear down a factions influence in a certain area, the car handling also feels similar to FC also.

So yeah, pretty positive first impressions, need to play more obviously, but it's one huge game to get stuck into and I reckon is a must-buy for any Mad Max (especially Fury Road) fans out there, definitely the most authentic MM experience you're ever likely to get in game-form that's for sure.

• 4 months later...

Quite enjoying this so far,picked it up half price as an early birthday present to myself. Because its not like I dont have enough games on the go right now ?

I'm no Max expert,I've only ever seen Fury Road as far as the movies go.

A couple of hours in,initial impressions: Its pretty good. Pulling down towers with a harpoon is fun. And borrowing Batmans combat is always a good idea.

• 2 years later...

I’m quite surprised reading some of the impressions on this that mention how polished it seems. I’m very early in (just got the body for the Magnum Opus) but the controls and UI seem a bit rough.

Also, L1 to aim seems not quite right.

I get that they didn’t get Tom Hardy’s likeness but the opening cut scene with Max versus Scrotus, I just thought, “I wanna play as him, not Captain Generic.”

God knows whether I’ll play much more but I do have a fondness for OCD open world games.