passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

radiofloyd

Square Enix announced Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time for PlayStation 4 and 3DS during its Dragon Quest New Title press conference.

In a press release, Square Enix said, “Additionally, we are also considering launching on Nintendo’s in development NX platform.”

Dragon Quest XI is directed by Takeshi Uchikawa and composed by Koichi Sugiyama. Yosuke Saito is the general producer. Both the PS4 and 3DS versions share the same story, but differ in visuals and partially in development teams.

Square Enix is aiming to release Dragon Quest XI within the series’ 30th anniversary year of 2016. (The first game launched for Famicom on May 27, 1986.) Both versions of the game will be released simultaneously.

PS4 version looks stunning. :)

• 1 year later...

The October issue of Nintendo Dream features a round-table discussion between Dragon Quest series creator Yuji Horii, Pokemon series producer Junichi Masuda, and Super Smash Bros. series director Masahiro Sakurai.

During the interview, Horii confirms an NX version of Dragon Quest XI. Horii initially confirmed an NX version when Dragon Quest XI was first announced for PlayStation 4 and 3DS, but Square Enix then back-tracked its statement saying it was only “considering launching” on the platform.

Horii also suggests that all three versions will be released simultaneously, as “spoilers will emerge if we release one version earlier.”

Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time is aiming for release in Japan before May 27, 2017. Nintendo’s NX is due out a couple of months earlier, in March 2017.

http://gematsu.com/2016/08/dragon-quest-xi-confirmed-nx-simultaneous-launch-ps4-3ds-versions-suggested

wrong thread but I'm not starting a new one just for a trailer.

Square Enix have put out a "what is Dragon Quest Builders" trailer, and I'll tell you what, I might get it. It's more involved and directed than Minecraft, you're building buildings with a purpose, there's quests, monsters. I think it might actually be worth playing

Opening movie. So beautiful I cried (almost).

PS4 and 3DS gameplay.

PS4 version looks sensational. I mean, sensational.

3DS version is obviously far less exciting but still very cool (and I only just noticed the dual screen setup, very impressive).

Released in Japan in 2017. More info in link.

http://gematsu.com/2016/12/dragon-quest-xi-launches-2017-japan-opening-movie-gameplay-first-character-details

29 minutes ago, mr lakitu said:

Worst title of 2017 contender?

Haha that's just an unofficial translation.  The Japanese title is 過ぎ去りし時を求めて.

I would imagine a more straightforward translation would be "In search of the past" or "searching for the past" but yeah, still kinda lame.

• 3 months later...

Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time will launch for PlayStation 4 and 3DS on July 29 in Japan, Square Enix announced. The PlayStation 4 version will cost 8,980 yen and the 3DS version will cost 5,980 yen.

As for the Switch version of Dragon Quest XI, the Wall Street Journal’s Takashi Mochizuki asked Square Enix public relations, who said, “Support is planned, but there is nothing to announce today. We cannot say today whether the release date is the same as or different than the PlayStation 4 and 3DS versions.”

A “Dragon Quest XI Double Pack Hero’s Sword Box” including both the PlayStation 4 and 3DS versions cased in special packaging will be sold exclusively at the Square Enix e-Store and Lawson HMV Stores for 14,960 yen.

Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia and Nintendo each also plan to announce Dragon Quest XI hardware bundles.

Square Enix also confirmed that Dragon Quest XI‘s story will take about 50 hours to clear. With side elements included, the game should last more than 100 hours. Additionally, the previously teased “Spell of Restoration” will be usable in Dragon Quest XI. You can create a Spell of Restoration that matches up with your progress, but it doesn’t reproduce everything. The general state of your progress is reproduced, but not your character’s name. The Spell of Restoration can be used interchangeably between the PlayStation 4 and 3DS versions

Dragon-Quest-XI-PS4-3DS-Dated-Japan_004.

Playstation 4 and 3DS Trailer:

PS4 Trailer:

3DS Trailer:

http://gematsu.com/2017/04/dragon-quest-xi-ps4-3ds-launches-july-29-japan

More gameplay videos in the link.

10 hours ago, Blakey said:

Nice! Still in 2 minds whether to import it or not.

On PS4 or 3DS?

I'm not sure if I'll play it as early as July but if you do get it, if you want you can take screenshots and post them here and I can (try to) translate them for you. Dialogue, menus etc.

PS4 @radiofloyd

Cheers, I'll definitely bear that in mind, my only other experience playing a JP Import was Yakuza 5 years back and that didn't really go to plan, used a fan sub's translations for cut scenes and major conversations but always felt disconnected with the game.

With DQXI though I still have a nasty feeling Squeenix won't bring it over to the West, more chance of the 3DS version though as Nintendo usually publishes those in the West but that version doesn't quite float my boat compared to the beauty of the PS4 version.

But yeah, will wait until E3 and see if any Western release is announced or teased and go from there, I'm in no rush with the amount of amazing games dropping all the time so would be content waiting until 2018 for a localised copy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2017 at 11:46 PM, DANGERMAN said:

en Englais? 

No.

But Gematsu have kindly translated all of the main points.

Nintendo hosted a Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time-themed Nintendo Direct today, revealing a host of details specific to the 3DS version of the game. Among those details, it was revealed that players will be able to take on various quests in which they travel to the worlds of past Dragon Quest games.

Here are all the new details:

• In 2D mode, there are secret locations called “Hidden Spots” that you can find.
  • In 3D mode, there are symbol-based encounters. By using the A button, you can perform a preemptive attack.
  • 2D mode uses random encounters.
  • The bottom screen displays the map. You can switch between the full map and the area map.
  • There is a “Travel Memories” feature that lets you look back on events in 2D and 3D modes.
  • The circle pad is used for 3D screen movement, while the d-pad is used for 2D screen movement.
  • The 3DS version uses “StreetPass” functionality.
  • The main element of StreetPass sees players interacting with a race known as the Yocchi.
  • The Yocchi will request that you rescue the Yocchi in critical situations that you encounter along your journey.
  • The key to rescuing Yocchi is a dungeon called the “Labyrinth Beyond Time.”
  • You can form a party of up to eight Yocchi from among the Yocchi you gather, and send them off into the dungeon.
  • In the dungeon, you can choose whether to control the Yocchi directly or proceed automatically. Choosing the latter means both movement and battles are automatic.
  • There are treasure chests and you can obtain items in the dungeon.
  • The abilities of each Yocchi differ, and various types exist from weak to strong. They will not return if they’re killed by the enemy. You can gather Yocchi in the field or from other players through StreetPass.
  • By defeating the “Gate Keeper” awaiting at the end of the dungeon, you will obtain an “Adventure Log Password.”
  • By giving the Adventure Log Password to the Yocchi elder, you can go the worlds of past Dragon Quest games.(In the Nintendo Direct, we see the player visit the worlds of Dragon Quest and Dragon Quest V.)
  • There are problems occurring in the worlds of past Dragon Quest games, and resolving them has something to do with saving the Yocchi.

The Nintendo Direct also revealed that starting today, 3DS users in Japan will be able to pre-load Dragon Quest XI from the Nintendo eShop.

Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time will launch for PlayStation 4 and 3DS on July 29 in Japan. A Switch version is also planned, but has yet to be shown or dated.

http://gematsu.com/2017/06/dragon-quest-xi-nintendo-direct-details-3ds-exclusive-features

The 3D graphics (and camera) in this game look better than the abysmal VII, but still I'll probably play it in 2D. I'll definitely be getting the PS4 version of this game, but I'll probably double dip and get it on 3DS as well. The only question is whether to get it in Japanese or English, although I don't own a Japanese 3DS.

• 4 weeks later...