passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Shenmue 3

radiofloyd

• 1 month later...

Has anyone done Kickstarter before where you do one of these surveys? Is this a sign the game is close to being done or could we still be ages out? 

Basically, there's a good chance I won't be living in my current place by the end of the year, I don't know if I need to worry about the address yet 

3 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

Has anyone done Kickstarter before where you do one of these surveys? Is this a sign the game is close to being done or could we still be ages out? 

Basically, there's a good chance I won't be living in my current place by the end of the year, I don't know if I need to worry about the address yet 

I’ve done one twice before (for Yooka-Laylee and We Happy Few). It is a sign that the game is not a long way off, no guarantee how far along it is exactly but I’d say it’s a sign it’ll hopefully be out early-mid 2019. I think I got my YL and WHF surveys 5-6 months or so before release.

They did ask me for my address in the questionnaire but if you’re getting a digital copy (on PSN or Steam) you might not have to fill it out. The deadline is September 30th anyway so you’ve got a bit of time to fill it out.

• 1 month later...

Hello Backers,

We have just announced the release date for Shenmue III at gamescom 2018 and...

August 27th, 2019 is the day you will be able to take up as Ryo Hazuki to continue the adventure!

11 minutes ago, Nag said:

They look fine on a Vita screen and play just as well as they always did....

PS1 games in general are spectacular. It's definitely my preferred way to play classics. 

Also I have never played Shemue so that trailer was a bit pants to me. 

I imagine rose tinted nostalgia glasses are going to be a big part of peoples enjoyment with them. I'm going to be reviewing the HD releases for the channel and to be honest I'm looking forward to having a fresh perspective, especially because I'm from the generation this is from, I just missed it because I was a poor kid growing up and didn't get a Dreamcast until they we about to be discontinued, by which point the both Shenmue games were considered hard to get hold of so I never bothered. 

The most important thing with Shemue III is they conclude the story with no cliffhangers or any of that shit. It needs to be a cap, not alluding to Shenmue IV because it'll likely never happen what with all the trouble they've had getting III to be an actual thing.

With this entry they can give closure to a story and they'd be a complete idiots to not cap everything off. If they spin it out to another game people will be pissed off.

It all depends if they've already got a deal in place with Deep Silver for Shenmue IV and V.

Considering Deep Silver has just been taken over by THQ Nordic who seemingly have more money than Jeff Bezos at the moment it is possible.

When I played them properly 4-5 years ago I thought they'd be a bit shite and overrated but they actually exceeded my expectations. The magic of those game is just so special, the world building and ambience it creates is really something to behold and ridiculously ahead of its time. 

The voice acting was dreadful then and is just as dreadful today, but that's part of the charm to me, it feels like a forgotten story of time rather than a big blockbuster AAA game and is very small in terms of story and locales, focusing on Ryo's journey and not much else. 

To be honest, I think it's actually got a better reception than I thought it would. This is the same populace who imploded from Mass Effect Andromeda's facial animations so I was expecting 'LOL LOOK AT THE FUNNY OLD GAME HAHAHA' YT videos by the shed load - and whilst I'm sure they still exist - there has been a level of respect and admiration about SI&II that I have loved to see and has warmed the cockles of me 'eart.

Like them or loath them they are classics and deserve to be played.

To me Shenmue were half action half walking detective games. Like Blakey said

22 minutes ago, Blakey said:

The magic of those game is just so special, the world building and ambience it creates is really something to behold and ridiculously ahead of its time. 

I mostly remember getting to my in game job early to race a fork lift truck before my shift. Purposely dropping an old mans books. Stroking a girls puss. 

It’d be a shame if bashing it became the new it thing to do.