passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Bayonetta 2

AndyKurosaki

Reached Chapter 4 so far, so thought I'd give my opinion. It's fucking brilliant. The original is up there as one of my favourite games of all time.I went through it on all difficulties, something I rarely have time for these days.That's how much I loved it.

So when this was first announced, and I realized "fuck, now I need a Wii U", I had high hopes for this. And, so far, it's met them.

You could argue it's "more of the same". But when Platinum did such a brilliant job first time around, if it ain't broke don't fix it.Cliche, but true. The touch pad controls work surprisingly well, though i'm currently using the pro controller. Which is taking some adjusting too, I find the four "main" buttons are a bit too close to the right analogue stick. Though that may just be me being a tool.

So, gameplay then. As before, you start with a few comboes and have to buy the rest from the shop. I do like it let's you try out the moves before you buy them. Meaning there's no chance of buying a move and going "this is useless".

The combat is as fast-flowing and fun as ever. You'll make mistakes, but once you recognize enemy "tells", you'll be racking up Golds or Platinums in no time.

As before, the story is total gibberish. Honestly, I defy anyone to understand what the fuck is going on. Luckily Bayonetta is a cheeky mare as usual, so that makes up for it. There's plenty of swears thrown in (the sterotypical American sidekick either yells "motherfucker" or "forgeddaboudit" in every sentence.). And there's still plenty of implied smut.Chapter 2 has Bayonetta doing a backwards, leg spread slide that may as well flash "check out my minge and arsehole". Subtle it ain't.

But it's fun.It's most certainly as good as the first one. So we'll see where it goes from Chapter 5.

Yeah I haven't got round to replaying 1 yet, sure I will when I've finished this though.

Had an absolutely mental boss fight earlier, filled with several bosses showing up from 1. Over the top, in a good way.

The story continues to make no sense whatsoever, with lots of the old 'Metal Gear' technique. Where one character says a phrase, and the other repeats it like it's a question.

"The Eyes Of The World"

The Eyes Of The World?"

Not even touched the online yet, may give it a go when I complete Story mode. At Chapter 13, so probably not far off.

As for getting Witch Mode timing, buying The Bat Within technique is quite helpful. It kicks in if you press dodge precisely when you would take damage,so a second later than required for a Witch Time dodge.

Also, I used the new Midas item for the first time. It makes enemies give you more Halos when you hit them. I used one when I was against two massive enemies. No joke, my Halo count went through the roof in seconds. From about 1000ish, to 9500. Pretty damned useful.

If there is one thing I have noticed is that this game is a bit easier than the first one. It could be the difficulty settings aren't lined up (I'm playing on 2nd climax... did start on 3rd climax since it is the hardest difficulty available form the start like normal is on the original, but 3rd climax is harder than Bayo1's normal... so I dunno).

Something about the combo system just doesn't flow quite as well, too. I spent a lot more time in the air on the original and combo-ing that way in B2 doesn't seem as natural to pull off. But maybe I just need to get used to these tweaked systems more, and they are just tweaks, but tweaks can shift things more than you expect, sometimes.

But generally it's business as usual. Big action is the main draw and that bit is better than ever. The scenarios it puts you in are amazing at times. The fight with the Eel thing in a whirlpool is just spectacular and the fights with the Sage do flow better then the fights with Jeanne on the original which were mostly about waiting for her to use a certain move and dodging it into witch time. I'd say the environmets are better all round, too. It's a beautiful game more often.

The challenge rooms are easier too, but that's not bad thing to me. I really didn't get my head around how you were meant to beat the ones where you only had 9 punches and 7 kicks to beat a group or enemies. They aren't there now.

Story stuff isn't quite as good as it should be. It still sorta brings back Bayonetta's amnesia from the first game to fill in new stuff but it mostly meanders around more and gives you excuses to fight things where as the original had some clearer incetives. Not that was totally clear... but it is cleraer.

Luka has been making me laugh more this time though, even if he's in it less, so swings and roundabouts.

But it's Loki, the new wee man, who is with you most. He's a total dick; he's a teenager, so of course he is. But since the plot just lays around not going anywhere his addition isn't made that interesting. I get Bayonetta is getting a bit reluctantly motherly again, but this time with a teenager prick, which is sometimes funny, but it just doesn't move.

And I have an issue with Loki's use of 'love' as a term of endearment (a patronising one), as it doesn't suite his plummy accent. If he had something lower class from any region it would work. I suspect it was a Japanese misfire of a culteral observatoin but it's a harmless one. I can't help but think how much of a more successful characterisation of a prick Loki could be if they swapped 'love' for 'm'lady'. That would maybe work too well.

But anyway. Bayonetta 2 is great! Maybe not as good as the original in some ways, but still has its own tricks. I'm on chapter 10 and I've not done a shte-y motorbike level once so it's going well.

• 3 weeks later...

I played through about half of this yesterday, I stopped to tick the Castlevania dlc off my backlog, wish I hadn't bothered. Loved this though, it seems a lot less stingy with health than the first game. Sometimes the counter window is longer than it needs to be, you end up dodging before you need to

• 1 month later...

Took my WiiU back to my parents with me and have been playing this on the gamepad (no tv in my bedroom). It works alright, bit blurry, and maybe there's enough delay to make me worse at it, but it's not noticeable while you're playing.

No fucking idea what's going on in the story though. Maybe I need to play through the first game again but I suspect it's all just nonsense. Continues to be a great game though

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Started this on the stroke of midnight, put 2 hours in. Up to Chapter 2.

Wow, that intro, am I right?! Fuck me, that was some absolutely bloody mental amazing shit right there, jeez louise. That trademark Bayonetta tongue in cheek still there in spades as well and all the goofy side characters, good times, good times indeed.

Absolutely adored the first proper Venice looking area too, from what I remember of the original it had a lot of Eastern European looking levels in it so for this to be based on Venice and look so bloody gorgeous is really refreshing. 

As for differences, it seems there's a few more chests/collectibles scattered about than the original and the stuff like witch's recipe's I'll have to get used to. Cool to see they've brought back the training-type rooms from the original too, spent way too much time trying to stumble through these in the original.

The star of the show obviously is that incredibly Platinum combat. It is just perfection, that thrill of launching enemies in the air, witch timing out the way and then pummelling them with the climax/torture attacks just feels so damn good, its' almost indescribable how good the feeling is, I don't know how Platinum do it, it's just fantastic.

Story seems typically goofy, I don't remember that much of the first game apart from the ending so I'm not sure if I should've watched a recap before I played this or not, but yeah it seems quite basic but I love the goofiness of it so far and all the ridiculously weird characters. Whoever that kid is you meet, the voice acting is so bad it's acting quite good, Bayonetta is typically on form as her sassy self though which is great, feels like reuniting with an old friend in a way.

I really can't believe I missed out on this game on Wii U all those years back, but I'm so incredibly pleased I got to play it now, it's nothing less than an action-hack n' slash masterpiece from what I've played thus far.

Some pics:

DWH0Bs3V4AAjCLC.jpg

DWH0F1KUMAAI_43.jpg

DWH0JujV4AAwtJC.jpg

DWH0N5pU0AABh5S.jpg

DWH0R5_V4AA6Ok1.jpg

DWHz2SDU0AAP1E-.jpg

DWHz6S6UMAAHcSG.jpg

Put another 7 hours into this yesterday and today, finished it earlier. Took me 9 hours in total.

It’s absolutely batshit insane throughout, one of their goals was obviously upping the bombast for the first time and giving you hardly any downtime apart from when you first arrive in the Venice like area for awhile. Even then you’ll be doing something innocuous like running through a cathedral and all of a sudden a gigantic enemy will appear out of nowhere, destroy said cathedral and you’ll have to fight it by jumping from rubble to rubble and hovering in the air.

Whilst I love the bombast, it does leave the game feeling a bit disjointed. From what I remember of the first game it was reasonably restrained until the batshit finale sequence, you have a clear path going from Earth up to Paradiso with things getting increasingly more difficult as you ascend into Heaven.

But with this it’s just all over the place. You’ll be fighting in Hell, Heaven, Earth and even go back in time and through some warp portals at one point, it’s just incredibly higgledy piggledy which affects the pace someone. It often feels as if levels and boss fight sequences have just been stuck together with barely any finesse at some points as a result.

The madness, humour, bombast and the absolutely incredible combat keep it ticking along until the unsurprisingly insane ending though. There’s an entire level that takes place in Mechs and another that has you piloting a fighter jet, just to give folks an idea of the insanity involved.

It’s very clever what Platinum has done with the story as well, with it weaving in and out of the first games’ plot and reacquainting you with some familiar locales. It very much feels like the first game was the yin and this is it’s yang, more colourful locales, fighting a lot of demons and a trip to hell instead of heaven alone, the juxtaposed hair styles of Jeanne and Bayonetta too seem to tie into this.

If you’ve got a Switch and haven't played it, it’s an easy recommendation for me.

Pics:

60A28C22-339D-4956-AD4E-72F61C890667.jpeg

6519A534-2FE2-45C2-B394-B0D369AB57B6.jpeg

9B020754-5298-4CB2-B744-4A01A35D5A9E.jpeg

5114EEFC-D48D-463A-82C3-131410B9CC9E.jpeg

317015EA-1390-438E-8165-47D07C7C3F08.jpeg

38A3CDEA-F864-455E-BE0C-A99B334744D3.jpeg

A1480EAD-2936-4D54-B421-C38FE930371E.jpeg

• 3 months later...

I played this for a little yesterday. I started it in April on the plane on the way home form Norway and for some reason I didn't pick it up again. Anyway, i stuggled with the controls for a little bit, died a few times and then it started to click again.

May I point out that this is not the game to play just before going to sleep - it's bat shit insane and pumps you up for a fight and then Bayonetta slithers around the screen like treacle in a cat suit and gives you a boner.

Looking forward to more.