passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days

HandsomeDead

Huh. No impressions? It doesn't surprise me, it's not really all that great.

But I have been playing it due to it just being a couple of quid on PSN at the moment so I decided to finally give it a gos since I have been planning to.

Now, I've not played the first one so I don't really know these two guys. I understand they are meant to be total shits, but they're not as bad as I was expecting. They're not as irredeemable fuckers as I was expecting. They seem like characters who exist in a shit world and are trying to get out of it; they're a product of the shit world. I think I was expecting them to relish in their shit more, but so far they come across a bit GTA protagonist-y.

I could talk about the game more but I can't say more than it being an okay third person shooter. It has some AI that doesn't offer up much of a challenge except for the times it accidently gets the upper hand. I suppose I have been playing on hard because I'm that cool so that's why I am dying a bit. But it isn't because I feel like I'm getting out smarted.

The gunplay feels okay except when you're using assualt rifles. The game has some wierd ruls: handguns seem to be the best for long range (except sniper rifles) and assualt rifles, which gaming has taught us are mid range weapons, are really shit at anything but short range. All the automatic weapons act like an Uzi or something; all kick and noise and not much else.

I've actually decided to rock the shotgun mostly as it's actually pretty good at mid range... and shite at short range. I have no idea why they have changed the logic of how guns work in video games, it's certainly not to make it more realistic. But it just doesn't feel all that great.

I think the only thing I like about it is the style. I do really like the camcorder style. It's claustrophobic, ugly and low key but really intimate to the violence. It's really great. It suites the game alot and they really commit to it. I just wish it was attached to a better game. It's not awful. Some of the levels are actually well put together and offer up some satisfying action, at least as well as the game itself can offer.

So I sorta like it. I think the game it reminds me most of is Spec Ops: The Line. It has similar issues, but I don't think Dog Days' story and stuff is not quite as bold and subversive as that, and the shooting isn't even as fun to be honest. But it's nearly there. If this game played like Max Payne 3 we'd have a real gem on our hands.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to the last level which was an absolute shitbag so I ended up deleting it from my HDD. Maybe it was the combo of the game suddenly falling to bits and getting Destiny I found I didn't want to continue giving it my time.

Basically, on the last mission the areas do open up a bit. It started off kinda cool but I got to this rooftop area wherer multiple sections needed covered and the companion AI at this time proved that it was absolutely no good and I just couldn't do it by myself. There was that and the game would often glitch and stand me up from the stealth position on its own. Oh, and all it takes to get a dozen blokes to know exactly where you are is to just stand up for a moment.

So it got fucked off for that. A good, old fashioned, full on game breaking glitch.

• 3 years later...

I've just played through this. I was just in the mood for an A to B campaign so I plucked this out of the backlog.

To be honest I thought it was mostly dogshit. Very plain and uninspriring from start to finish, with maybe the helicopter level as the saving grace. The shooting is bad, hardly any of the weapons have range and mostly lack accuracy. The camcorder style which DC mentions in his first post I thought was awful, I know what they were going for but it annoyed me more than impressed me. It certainly does add to it's gritty style though.

Some of it made me chuckle, childishly when they are both naked after a certain story event and are looking for clothes and covered in blood. Some of the things they say to each other are funny but I'm not sure they're supposed to be.

I don't dislike the characters of Kane and Lynch but they sure do star in less than average games.