passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Comic Book Thread

hinn888

11 minutes ago, Maf said:

Darkseid is isn’t rhetoric. It’s been in DC comics for years. But it’s always been pretty direct about what it means and that is bad things afoot. But here I thought because of the themes and subject matter it might mean something different or more than just “Evil god of evil”. And in the series it pushes towards that sometimes, but never establishes what it means to Scott, really.

And when he punches Highfather he’s dad is saying to him “You also fell for the anti life like I once did, but you couldn’t escape from it” which is like...hmm. Why? What does anti life do in this book? It used to be mathematical evidence that all life should submit it’s will to Darkseid. But in this I thought it was a metaphor for depression, or anti life can effect a person in many ways and one of those ways was suicidal depression. Because ANTI LIFE. But instead it’s some virtual reality limbo between life and death? Heaven and Hell? I don’t know. Again more clarification.

Overall it is still a superb series and one of the best I’ve read in years. But it’s just a shame the ending didn’t hit harder. It wasn’t even the fact that it wasn’t a happy ending, or that it’s up for interpretation. I was more just left with “That it? What am I meant to be interpreting?”

I don’t  know. Maybe it reads better in a trade format

It IS rhetorical within the context of this series. You answered that yourself. It is rhetorical because we don't know what Darkseid is to Scott or Barda.

The Anti-Life Equation has been very context specific within DC. As in what it does depends on the writer. Grant Morrison gave it the definition you describe in Final Crisis, yet that is one of many. Scott makes a choice about what he chooses to believe by punching High Father, refuting his words.

I’ve been catching up on Super Sons which is a superb, short lived comic book series. The relationship blossoming between Damian and Jon is so much fun and together they push them selves up to be some of my favourite, current comic book characters. Even though it’s got great adventure and fun, it’s the bits in between that I really like. Damian ends up going to the same school as Jon. They have a run in with Talia where Jon starts to understand Damian a bit more. They both get there own HQ (Which how many fancy secret bases can a teen have? Robin gets the Bat Cave, Teen Titans tower, he’s own underwater base with Superboy and sometimes goes to JL HQ?) and there’s some great jokes as well, like this

6C5CBAE1-F412-495C-AE74-8B665093F203.jpe

It’s a shame it’s only 16 issues because it feels like it’s just getting going in a weird way. And also losing Jimenez as the artist after he draws the first 9 or 10 issues because he is incredible. 

69480ceb2f93186aeff91daf571d852c.jpg

kr66i09slqb01.jpg

There is a new 12 part series happening called Adventures of the Super Sons which I’ll start reading tomorrow but just wanted to give this a shout out as it really is just a really fun, joyous, simple but entertaining story with genuinely likeable characters. This has to be my favourite team book of the year. I like it way more than the trashy Avengers and the overly complicated Justice League

So not only was Final Crisis the first DC event I ever read but it was basically at the start of me trying to get into DC comics 10 years ago. And even then I only read Final Crisis 1-7. Needless to say, I had no fucking idea what I was reading. 

But even then I really loved some of the moments in it even if as a whole I didn’t really get it. This, I think, has everything. Except now I think I need the 52 Omnibuses to go with it

1 hour ago, Maf said:

So not only was Final Crisis the first DC event I ever read but it was basically at the start of me trying to get into DC comics 10 years ago. And even then I only read Final Crisis 1-7. Needless to say, I had no fucking idea what I was reading. 

But even then I really loved some of the moments in it even if as a whole I didn’t really get it. This, I think, has everything. Except now I think I need the 52 Omnibuses to go with it

sideshow-collectibles-captain-america-si

Good Luck Maf!

HOLY FUCKING SHIT ?

Some highlights from Doomsday Clock #8 

doomsday-clock-8-variant-cover-doctor-ma

It begins...

(Am in love with that cover)

RCO018.jpg

“I can trust Superman, professor! Because everyone can!”

(This line makes me want to fucking cry)

RCO022.jpg

I mean that’s just Putin. No messing around here. They even name Al-Assad in the book when they reference Syrian refugees. 

RCO025.jpg

RCO026_w.jpg

OH NO!

RCO027.jpg

RCO028_w.jpg

OH NO!!!

RCO030.jpg

RCO031.jpg

It begins...Oh, no...

What a fucking issue holy hell!

It’s a really fun book if I remember it right. Volume 2 the Scorpion is really good as well. Not sure if I’ve read much more after that? I think I have 2 more volumes but I can’t remember what’s happened in them. I might not have read them.

But the first two are really good

5 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

I don't know, I'm just saying if he's going to wear a suit that tight he might want to start putting socks down there for the sake of his reputation

I'm sick of this objectifying of male characters in comic books, setting unreal standards.