passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Borderlands 2

DANGERMAN

I've put about an hour or so in to it so far, so far the opening is much better than the first game. In the first game once Claptrap had led you to the first town the first few quests all involved going to the same couple of places, this might yet be the same but it feels a bit more tunnelled so you see new areas. They seem to have done a bit more with the incidental characters too, the quest givers have got more than 3 lines now.

The enemies bounce around more than they used to. The bandits roll to avoid bullets, and the bullymongs (a bit like skags only bigger and faster) jump around. It's quite hard hitting them regardless of the accuracy of your gun, and letting them get in close with a slow reloading shotgun is a bit risky.

It runs well on the pc, but the unreal engine load in is still there, more often when you open a box and the bullet/money textures need to load. And on that note, things like changing what the boxes look like was a good way of making it feel fresher than the first game, and you start in a snowy area rather than another desert area

Oh im Ben and because im a PC gamer now im playing this game before everybody else.

I for one say we boycott this impressions thread until the game is actually released or at least until ive played it.

(Tell me more about the assassin character)

Sam, I'm playing as the soldier so I can't tell you anything about the assassin sorry.

Craymen, the ui does seem to be better that the first game, you can even drag and drop weapons in your inventory. It's still not perfect though, you should just be able to hover over weapons to compare them but instead there's key commands.

In the first game the more you used a weapon the more your stats with it improved. They've got rid of that this time, instead when you fulfil certain requirements (eg kill 10 psychos) you get a badge, and you can spend the badge on upgrades. It seems to be random what you get to choose from, but there's maybe 5 at a time and you pick reload speed/shield recharge/accuracy etc

I've had a problem with respawning enemies, I was fighting the boss of an area and our fight spread across the town, which meant hordes of enemies would be triggered again

Good to see it's good.

It has been pulling in decent reviews across the board, which to be expected. The Wall Street Journal weren't impressed with it in their review.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/09/18/game-theory-borderlands-2-fails-to-generate-joy-puke/

Fair enough he wasn't impressed with the game, but the criticisms are... just... something.

once you reach Sanctuary the retreading of the first game starts again. It's not as bad as the last game (so far) in that you don't go literally to the same spot as the boss in a story mission just to pick up a hat or something, but there is a lot of going to the same area. The locations have a bit more going on in them now, so you'll get a big bandit stronghold, then within walking distance a collection of huts or a petrol station, it makes the world feel fuller.

I've had a few mod unit things, I can't remember what they're called, but they add traits to your character. At the minute I'm using one that recharges my turret 19% quicker, but I have one stored that gives me electrical damage boost and electric damage resistance, which would be handy if I had any electric guns. I'm not sure that I don't prefer the old system for leveling up, but these character mods combined with the skill tree, combined with the Badass point stuff (where you spend coins to improve things like reload speed) does fill in the gaps where you aren't getting any interesting guns to play with

a bit more of the good and the bad from Borderlands. At times it feels very like the first game, with the problems of the first game. I was doing a non-story mission, quite a funny theme behind it, but it turned in to an enormous ball ache. At first it's just doing odd things around the local area, but then I had to take someone to the a previous area of the map, and because there was no easy way to travel there I had to quick travel to the start of the game and walk there, fighting 2 boss characters along the way.

Once I'd done that I had to head back, again no easy way, but I did find a couple of semi-hidden areas. The next part of the mission was again some easy stuff in the locale, but then things got really tedious. I suspect the Enkindling mission will become quite infamous over the next few weeks, as it involves a bit of a obtuse route through the sector using the map that will tell you to go through solid walls or climb mountains. In the end I had to google the route, it turns out it's where a story mission ended previously (head past the ice cave then head downwards under the mountain rather than up the scaffolding stuff. Then after the second lot of insect things there's a red arrow pointing the right way).

The good though, once I found the right route and headed underground there was a puddle, and in the puddle for no reason that I could see were 2 similarly named SMGs. I've only used one of them because it has slightly better stats than the other, but it fires 2 shots for the price of one, meaning what would be a fairly average weapon is by some distance the best thing I've got (well, apart from the other gun I picked up at the same time). All of a sudden just as the game was starting to annoy me, I'm excited to keep playing it

I hope this turns up today, if it hasnt then im going to buy it from a real shop with my hands so I can play it friday and the weekend. Does anyone know if you can do the co-op with randoms or does it have to be friendos?

you can choose randoms too, works like Street Fighter so they just drop in

The start weaponry is a bit good. Pretty much everything I've picked up has been brilliant. I've got rifles that can kill in 2 hits and another which looks like a minigun already. Probably my favourite pick up was a Tediore pistol, it wasn't particularly powerful but when you reloaded it you lobbed it at the enemy before it exploded. I spent a bit of time experimenting trying to twat the bandits in the face with it.

I got fed up with the first game, i really wanted to like it, but at times felt i was travelling around for no real reason other than to get lost, and often went into a boss event or a group attack and was badly under gunned. Thus more searching round until i had leveled up enough, can't remember which boss but i beat the one got his guns, but found them less powerful than the ones i was using.

I think i just lost the plot and didn't really get it, i was playing co-op with my other half which doesn't always help as trying to explain the game to her and trying to figure it out myself didn't help.

Will wait for some impressions before picking this up.

I've just done a mission you have to deliver a pizza to some escaped mutants, best mission I've done in a game all year :lol:

I got fed up with the first game, i really wanted to like it, but at times felt i was travelling around for no real reason other than to get lost, and often went into a boss event or a group attack and was badly under gunned. Thus more searching round until i had leveled up enough, can't remember which boss but i beat the one got his guns, but found them less powerful than the ones i was using.

I think i just lost the plot and didn't really get it, i was playing co-op with my other half which doesn't always help as trying to explain the game to her and trying to figure it out myself didn't help.

Will wait for some impressions before picking this up.

it's still got the same problems, and in some ways I'm wishing I wasn't playing it as non-stop as I am. When it's fun and funny it's great, but when you have to trek back through an area you just finished (and struggled with) it gets a bit tedious. And yeah, there's still a couple of bosses that are oddly hard, including one of the first ones (a midget riding a beast)

oh and a pet peeve. I was fighting a guy before who was using some awesome gun that was wiping out my armour, he died a dropped a gun, a shit pistol with no noticeable characteristics whatsoever. If you're going to give the enemies random guns then at least have them match anything they drop

I've heard a few people complain about how the enemies react and they do stuff that makes it hard for you to get a shot on them. To these people I say this. Man the fuck up or piss of back to your shitty turn based JRPG's. Offended? I don't care. Learn to fucking aim. I'm nowhere near the worlds best FPS type of person and I've having no trouble with it at all. The enemies are clever and will do you over if you play recklessly, but as long as you push forward when you need to push and drop back when you need to drop back you should be fine. Control the crowd before they control you.

I've got to admit I've been impressed with the AI of this game. We're not talking competence of the Halo games, but it's bloody close. There's been times where it's actually managed to outfox me. It's entranced itself in places and made it hard to get a foothold and surprisingly it knows when it is beat and falls back. There's been times where I've managed to fool it, drop down behind it and punch it to death.

I've hit the proverbial levelling up wall with a boss that is 4 levels above me. I don't actually think he'd be a problem but he has the high ground and I can only take 2 hits from the rockets or whatever he is using. I think because I've just followed the main questline I've done the same thing many did with Borderlands when they went and tried to take on Bonehead. I've gone back a bit and started doing sidequests, but I don't know how long I will continue with this playthrough, as I have someone I will be playing with in co-op. I might have a look at the Commando or Siren on that playthrough.

I love how it reflects its humour when looking at the looting stuff. It's very self aware with stuff like that. It's made me laugh a lot, even though you can see the joke coming off a mile away.