passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Tele's!

Manicm

My aging LCD is close to death by xbox as my mum would call it, too many playing games on it she reckons, its had a good life about 10 years and 3 different flats ive lived in so all is good spent about £1k when i got it.

So im thinking of a new one, i was thinking LED 40" samsung from comet its about £500 when the other half came home last night JS have a 43" Plasma for £329 and with discount its about £280, now very tempted any rules with plasma's?? or should i spend the extra cash and get the LED?!

Plasmas have better refresh rate so its for films/games more but tbh that isnt a massive thing

My main concenrs with plasmas is, if left on for too long, the image burns into the screen.

Never had a problem with my Plasma. Had it nearly 10 years, it's been through games, films, it even got dropped when it was stolen! It's a 42" Samsung and it's still going strong. Will definitely be buying another Samsung once this one pops it's clogs.

Alot of people are concerned about images burning into the screen of plasma's but it's not as bad it's made out to be. With all the games and their static health bars being displayed for lengthy periods I sometimes see a bit of burn-in once I've stopped playing, but once the picture changes it's fine. No lasting damage whatsoever.

The only difference i'd be concerned with is the price. LEDs will always be way more expensive than an equivalent plasma, and for general use I don't think you'd notice or dwell on any differences in the picture.

Plasma TVs apparently have better colour and deeper blacks than LCD/LED sets (because they're not backlit?), but conversely they use more power and create more heat.

Older plasma screens had the potential of losing brightness over time, but I think modern screens have pretty much eliminated that problem.

I went for the plasma saturday night, its a great tele, tbh i was shocked at the size difference!! 32" to 43" is a bigger step than i thought it would be. Only jut got it in the car which was amusing!! but watched tele for the first time in full HD the football was amazing to watch, and you can tell the difference.

• 2 years later...

Looks like console gaming will be on the back burner for a little while. *

My TV started turning itself off and on randomly last night. I wondered if the remote button was stuck so I unplugged it from the wall and went to bed.

Come home from work, plug it in and it carries on. I've taken the batteries out of the remote and no difference.

A quick Google suggests....

Change in setup? Nope, no new electronic gear.

Hit the sleep mode button? Nope.

Faulty remote? Nope.

I'm running out of options other than bite the bullet and get a new one. I paid 300 for it and had it at least 7 or 8 years at this point so I think I'd rather replace than repair as it's got some serious screen burn stuff as it is.

What can you get on a £300 budget?

* Thank Christ for the WiiU Gamepad and new Mario Kart tracks.