passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sony Consoles and Updates

Sly Reflex

It wouldn't surprise me if it's being worked on. I actually think a lot of the big hitters that aren't out yet will make it to both consoles, especially Day's Gone.

The GPU shortage is going to kick everything computer related in the arse.

Nah, that can't be right. There's next to no chance of a PS5 coming out this year. Another portable maybe but the chance of a full blown console coming out this year is slim.

Speaking of slim, it wouldn't surprise me if they showcase a system that's a renovated chassis and a overall cheaper design to push to the market.

They will very likely have the development kits. Games take years to make so they need it for launch games. 

Anyway, I've mentioned on another forum we're coming round to it. PS4 will be six years old next year. That was the old cycle for a generation roughly speaking. A tease announcement this E3, with a full blown reveal next year's E3 and release Q4 2019 isn't totally out of the question.

Also there's the discussion of their being another 'generation'. I'm no engineer but Mark Cerny made a point about using 'off the shelf' components to make development easier but also upgrading. What's to say a PS5 isn't a console that produces games at native 4K 60fps+ with extra effects bells and whistles, but the same titles are scaled down affairs on the base model/pro. Eventually there'd have to be a cut off. Like a minimum specs on PC 'minumum PS4 Pro required'. 

I dunno. I can see the sense in it. No loss of market share or catalogue of games. No mid transition messiness developing games on two different systems. 

I'd bet there's a tease of something this E3. 

Here are the actual details from the article by the way, rather than rely on hearsay.

Quick Summary of Playstation 5 article:

-Uses AMD's Navi as its base architecture, not specifically using Navi.
-CPU is custom Zen
-Large amount of devkits have apparently gone out.
-Author suggests 2018 release of PS5 is not out of the question based on the amount of devkits released as this is a "sure sign that the launch is getting close". Not definitive.
-VR "goodies" baked in at the silicon level. (My Opinion, not authors: Sony not giving up on PSVR any time soon. VR support inside the PS5 right out of the box)

Some more stuff in there, but doesn't really discuss power of the system.

I’ll be in Day 1 on PS5 as long as it’s not ridiculously expensive.

As long as Microsoft keep putting their exclusives on PC day-and-date with Xbox 2 then I’ve still no reason to get an Xbox unless Next Gen games require me to build a new PC to run them then I may consider an Xbox 2, again, dependent on price.

Kotaku: The PS5 is still a ways off

A recent online rumor got people buzzing about a possible 2018 release of PlayStation 5, but that’s probably not going to happen. In fact, from what we’ve heard, the next PlayStation is a ways away—it may not arrive until 2020.

It’s been nearly five years since the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One launched, which has triggered bouts of nervousness and excitement among video game fans who want to know when they’ll have to start hoarding pennies for a new generation of consoles. The PS4 launched seven years after the PS3, the Xbox One eight years after the Xbox 360. It’s not unreasonable to be thinking about the next generation. We don’t have a concrete answer just yet, but we have been asking around, and what we’ve heard is a whole lot of uncertainty.

Over the past month, I’ve spoken to dozens of game developers, across a variety of disciplines and studios, about the next generation of consoles. Of those, two people said they were directly familiar with plans for Sony’s new console. Those two people both told me that the next PlayStation is unlikely to release in 2019, let alone 2018, although they were careful to be clear that these plans are always shifting. “On a multi-year project, a lot can happen to shift schedules both forward and backward,” one person said. “At some point, Sony’s probably looked at every possible date. It’s all about what they think is the best sweet spot in terms of hardware.” A surprise move by Microsoft or another competitor, for example, could trigger a change in plans.

Most of the developers I spoke to, via phone and email and text, said they had not heard anything about plans for a new PlayStation. Even employees at Sony’s first-party studios said they have not yet been briefed on the existence of a PlayStation 5. People across all the disciplines (design, art, engineering, etc.) at major studios working on games scheduled for 2019 and beyond have told me that if there is information about the PS5 at their companies, they haven’t heard about it. (Those people said they haven’t heard about a new Xbox, either.)

In summary: There is information about the PlayStation 5 floating around at both first- and third-party companies, but it’s far more limited than it would be if the console’s release was imminent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

June 2018

XCOM 2 (PS4)

Trials Fusion (PS4)

Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Future Soldier (PS3)

Zombie Driver HD Complete Edition (PS3)

Squares (PS Vita)

Atomic Ninjas (PS Vita)

God damn, I bought Xcom 2. Cheap in a sale, but still.

• 4 weeks later...

Absolver (PS4)

Heavy Rain (PS4)

Rayman HD (PS3)

Extreme Exorcism (PS3)

Space Overlords (PS Vita + PS4)

Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma (PS Vita)

Absolver looks like it could have potential.