passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

God of War 3

Bob

Started the Remaster earlier, put about 4 hours in.

Got further than my first attempt back in the PS3 original anyway where I abandoned it shortly after the opening sequence ?

Playing on Easy as I’ve always died tons of time in the past games, just wanted to breeze through and enjoy this.

And I am quite enjoying it, it feels like a throwback. Games just aren’t made like this anymore, it’s cool to play a game with fixed camera angles too as that has almost completely been abandoned in AAA games these days. Sure, it means you’ll misjudge a jump and plunge to your death because of the camera at times, but there’s little to no penalty and it does give it a different feel and sense of scale that over-the-shoulder cameras can’t in a way.

It still looks bloody brilliant as well, they’ve done a top Remaster job. I don’t know if there’s any Pro enhancements coming into play but it definitely pops on my TV, crazy to think this is a PS3 games, the only time you notice it is a few of the textures look decidedly last gen, apart from this though you can hardly notice.

The set pieces have been fantastic, much has been spoken about the opening, but it still stands up today, the Hermes chase across Olympus was great too. But it’s the puzzles and platforming that have really felt like something different. 

The on-rails nature of some of the boss fights and some dreary looking cave environments are the only two negative points I have really, Kratos is still an unlikeable cunt too, but then we knew that already.

No idea how much longer I’ve got left, it’s got a decidedly end game feel to it at the moment but I keep feeling like something will happen and Kratos will have to start back down in the River Styx ?

Some pics:

DB7DDDAB-3636-46D2-9FC6-ECFC14E687F4.jpeg

DBCBEF55-A732-4858-B247-D54BAD19C346.jpeg

A6A45811-FD68-4EAF-B2A2-2AD40BE92C56.jpeg

448463A4-DA47-4B9A-95C0-EF0020B5966C.jpeg

Only had time for a 100 minute session today.

I’m still strangely impressed with it, that Chronos fight was absolutely mad and I’ve fallen in love with thit fixed camera even more. There’s this one shot of Kratos asking down a spiral staircase shown from above and its just perfect, you just don’t get those artistic, cinematic angles from an OTS or FPS camera setup.

This may sound exceptionally silly, but I’ve never got far enough into a GoW game to realise you get different weapons :blush: I always assumed it was just the bog standard chain hooks that get upgraded as you go through, but having access to all these different weapons and the way you can sync them all together in combat -if you’re not just button mashing like I am most of the time :lol: - looks and feels so damn spectacular.

I do feel ridiculously overpowered at the moment though with Hercules’ huge knuckle weapons and all the other goodies, mowing through every enemy I encounter like nobodies business.

The Aphrodite bit I cringed a lot over, it just shows its age really, it is funny but it’s also a bit weird, especially playing it on the family TV. Oh Kratos, you utter asshat.

Finished it today, took me about 9 hours.

Overall I  enjoyed it, but didn't love it really. Kratos is such an unlikeable cunt that I just find it hard to care about him 1 iota, it feels throughout that you're actually the antagonist and all the Gods are the usual video game protagonists, it's cool in a way like that but having Kratos with 1 emotion - anger - and his voice acting is just fucking hilariously bad, angry man is angry all the damn time, no nuance at all.

The combat, fixed camera angles and some of the puzzling was the high point. When you have the full arsenal of weapons towards the end and can switch between them all at will it feels so damn great, the electric claws are definitely my favourite though, endlessly keeping folks up in the air with it never got old at all. 

The opening and the Chronos fight were really cool but it gets bogged down towards the end with just too much puzzle sections one after another and then seems to end really abruptly, with Zeus you fighting Zeus a second after getting back up to the surface of Olympus. The graphics still mostly look fantastic today, some of the lighting, the enemies and the way everything still has that sheen on it I really didn't expect on an 8 year old last-gen port.

The ending was really weird as well with that Max Payne-esque ethereal blood trail section after defeating Zeus, they tried to show what was conflicting Kratos in his mind or something but it's just mostly nonsense with the character being so one note. 

I'm pleased I played it though, it just feels like games like this aren't really made any more, especially the fixed camera angles and so much puzzling going on, it's a nice refresher. Ultimately rather forgettable though, but I'm pleased I went through it.

More pics:

DWkqSQpXUAEYS8M.jpg

DWkqTEqWkAMx4oT.jpg

DWkqUGBX0AAB-fj.jpg