passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The PC bucket...

Sly Reflex

I think I'm up to the last level in a game called Creeper World 3 and I can just not beat the cunt. The rest of the game has been quite leisurely, but this motherfucker won't give me any breaks at all. It's the only level I've actually looked on youtube to see how you do it, and I still can't do it after that.  If you google Farbor it's basically people saying "what the fuck, why is this bastard so difficult?"

If anyone would like impressions on Creeper World 3, I can give them. I don't think there's much point tbh. Hendo might like it.

Posting from an iPhone innit. Tap the predictive text to bang shit out quicker than typing it out yourself, or it does that thing where you've typed it out fine and then it switches it to the American English because fuck you.

On 7/14/2018 at 2:53 PM, Sly Reflex said:

I think I'm up to the last level in a game called Creeper World 3 and I can just not beat the cunt.

Fucking done it!  Only took me about 15 tries. God knows how you're meant to be able to do it in the first phase, I went for a second phase win and managed it with 5% to spare. Managed to work out that spray towers are actually useful for once. This game, man. It might be as ugly as your mother but it's just as deep.

Also not the last mission. There's a bit where it splits off into torture missions (very hard) and prospector missions (I have no idea what the fuck those are yet), but the main quest line hasn't ended just yet. Hopefully not as ridiculously hard as Farbor though, timed missions are not fun.

That's Creeper World 3 done. I say done, but it has a big thing of community maps and a load of additional stuff off to the side I've not done. This could possibly end up being my most played on steam, it;s dead easy to watch Netflix or listen to podcast while you blast away at the tidal waves of ever creeper goo. Would recommend, especially if you're into turtling in RTS. Just be warned it looks like something from the Amiga 500 era.

If you want to know more, have a look at this. Nerdcubed probably covers it in more detail than I can be arsed to.

• 10 months later...

No thread for the game I'm about to talk about, it's probably going to sink without a trace since it's old, but here goes.

Steam recently had a sale event where they had you spring clean. One of the games that came up in my spring clean was Binding of Isaac. It's a tiny install and it has trading cards I've yet to drop, so two birds with one stone. Got the bugger installed and booted it up.

I'm not really sure my feelings on it are that different from when I played it on PSV. I think I'm maybe a bit more responsive to it now, but I don't really like using mouse and keys for something like this and I'm not doing what the game suggests and installing joy2key. so I can use a pad.

However this time around I can sort of see why it's so loved by the people that got into it. It has a great sense of humour and I really like that when you pick up power ups that they transform Isaac. I just had a run where my head got all deformed, which looked ridiculous, but then I managed to get a mums lipstick that actually made me do a full on chuckle when I saw it applied. Will I stick with it after all the cards have dropped? Maybe? I'm like one boss away from a completion, it's not the boss that kills me in the few occasions I've played it, usually I die from something stupid like running into bullets or enemies. I don't know. I'd like to complete it even if that's only just scratching the surface of the game, since I know it's all about multiple runs and finding all the secrets and stuff that's buried in it.

Having watched a few people play a lot of Gungeon it's clear that Isaac was a huge influence as well. Gungeon being something I'm really looking forwards to playing somewhere down the line. I think I'll get on with Gungeon more since it has full 360² shooting over Isaac's 4 way shooting with slight tracking. I know people that are into these sorts of games adored Everyday Shooter, but again I didn't like the no 360² shooting in that game that I found in games like Super Stardust and Geometry Wars. I want that level of control that I can't really get when you have limited directions you're able to attack. I understand they build the game around that specifically, but it's not really something I can subscribe to.

So yeah. Catch this thread in another 6 months time when it gets dug out again for something similar.

• 1 year later...

No folder for this one, and since it's old as fuck I won't bother creating one since nobody is going to play it.

Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers

Dudes. This game is straight up amazing and I don't think anyone from here even mentioned it. I can't find it in the search so it slipped through the cracks undeservedly.

The stupid story resolves around a pair of underpants giving dudes superpowers and as the hero you're wanting them for yourself. Armed with a laser, you're tasked with getting from one side of the level to the other by cutting up and rearranging the level. You can cut and push bits about, but me explaining this isn't really doing it justice, because it's one of those things if you saw yourself you'd understand it better.

It's very short, like 3 hours long. Excellent presentation and music. Nothing too cryptic on the puzzles nor too asking on difficulty. Doesn't outstay its welcome.

Here's one of the earliest songs you unlock.

Super underrated game. I feel awful for them that this wasn't a huge smash hit.

I'm back for another two bites.

Octodad. Might not be everyone's type of game, but I love stupid shit like this. It's a glorified toybox with a silly story slapped on it, but I just can't stop myself loving it. Is it a good game? Probably not, but it's really fun, and that's what counts.

The other game is Northgard. A RTS game about vikings. I did a quick search and the only time it got mentioned was in this thread by I think @Whiskey_chaser. Anyway you have set tiles and buildings and units. The idea is to hit the goals and expand while not over reaching and pissing through resources, all while keeping happiness over a certain threshold so you don't get sick as a tribe and perish. It's OK, nothing to write home about.

OK, back to the other threads, unless there's something else I cannot find.

Full Metal Furies.

You know the golden age of side scrolling beat em ups? This is that, except it's got a bit more going on that you would initially expect. It has levelling up and skills on top of the fighting, because of course it does, this is the done thing now and it's sort of hard to avoid in gaming today. 

What is different about this is it has puzzles. I really don't want to get too much into it, because I want you to play it and telling you what to expect will make the puzzles easier to solve. Some of the stuff gets super cryptic by the end of the game, but the game is self contained and you shouldn't need to go looking on the internet for answers. If you're ever stuck, go back and look at the clues you have, or even look at answer to puzzles you've worked out before.

Also I wouldn't advice playing this solo, grab up to 3 friends, decide which class you'd be best off playing and stick with it for the duration. If your group is anything like my group, you'll end up thinking about this game while you're in bed, your desk will be covered in rhymes and pictures of runes and you'll always be closer to the answer than you think you are. Just keep working on it.

Brilliant game, I'd rather have Full Metal Furies 2 over Rogue Legacy 2, but they have to keep the lights on and this was a huge flop for them.

Mudrunner.

You know, I bought this as a joke. Same with Eurotruck Sim 2 which I've not even booted up. I assume the games have a similar premise though, only the one I played was locked down to delivering logs (not those logs) on maps that are out in the middle of nowhere whilst driving soviet era gas guzzlers. I'm talking proper gas guzzlers, like 10 meters per gallon type of consumption. To be fair, what you're driving on are barely roads as well, and often the quickest way between you and your objective means you're going to be up to your bollocks in grit, gravel, sand, mud, swamp and water.

The objective is simple. You get given a small selection of offroad vehicles (and for some reason a Lada that's about as much use as the cameras in Epstein's cell) and are tasked with delivering 8 units of logs to 2 sawmills. At the start this is very easy, although it might not seem it. The first map is very easy, aside from fording a river, pulling your way through a swamp and then going completely offroad through a forest over loose slate, you're not going to have any issues. The later maps get way way worse in the tasks they ask of you.

Generally a map goes like this. You open up and half the map is blacked out, You jump in your little 4x4 (or that fuck arse piece of shit Lada) and make your way to the lookout points, which show you the area around the map, including what passes for roads, where locked vehicles are as well as all the other landmarks. If you want to unlock any of the other vehicles, all you need to do is drive near them, which is what I usually do with the scout vehicle. Some are very close tot he routes you'll be taking with the cargo so you can hit some of them up like this as well.

Once you've uncovered the map and planned a route, then it's time to get one of the bigger fuckers, equip it with the stuff you want and take your planned route. Bear in mind the little 4x4 can't do things the big bastards can do, so crossing rivers were the current is out of bounds for smaller lighter vehicles, but a bigger one might be able to. Similarly, getting the 4x4 through a sticky mess of quagmire might be no issue because you are light, but getting 10 tons of USSR bullshit through plus cargo might see you getting stuck. You can use winches on nearby trees to try and pull yourself out, but usually clever use of using the gears, throttle, traction control AWD should see even the most hostile areas be traversable once you know what you're doing. Remember, if your wheels aren't pushing you forward, they're digging you down, digging down equals being fucked forever unless you have a vehicle that can come drag you out, and if you make a lot of mistakes you end up with a train of stuck vehicles. It's happened to me, and it'll happen to you too, if you play.

As miserable as this sounds, it's actually not at all. Correcting your fucks ups and learning from the experience is all part of the game, eventually you'll get to a stage in the game where you plan everything out to the T and don't have to deal with any of this shit, but I understand that it might be a bit frustrating for those that struggle with this concept and want everything right now.

I say this because Mudrunner is a very slow game.Often you'll be rolling across the map at 1mph wobbling your wheels back and forth to maintain maximum grip on whatever ground you're on while gently feathering the throttle to keep nice fuel efficiency. In a world where everything is running at a trillion miles an hour, Mudrunner goes in the opposite direction and slows things right down.

Basically this is the whole game, although there's some differences that you'll see throughout your wood delivering journey (not that kind of wood). Some maps you get given tools to make a garage that will allow you to outfit. Some roads have barriers on that won't allow cargo through, forcing you to take another route. Mudrunner is at its best when you play on the hardcore difficulty. Manual gears are a must, everything has to be managed and fuel use and damage are increased. Also you have to stack logs manually instead of them being magically teleported into your flatbed.

For me this is the sort of game that's ideal to play if you're listening to a podcast, or second screening a tv show. You can play it on autopilot for the most, but when things get tricky you're going to need to pay extra attention to what's happening on screen.

I really hope Snowrunner finds its way over to Steam, that'll be an insta purchase for me.

• 3 months later...

So due to this over here @mfnickand @merman1974 have entered the PC realm and since Nick specifically hasn't played a lot of PC games, if any, we're going to pick the best ones out of what can run on a modest machine. Deal? OK, feel free to add to the list.

I am going to start with Among Us. Yes it's pretty obvious, yes you can play it on a phone. It's the current in thing though, so you might get some fun out of it, especially if you're a sneaky shit that likes to lie, or a budding detective that can peer through when somebody is bullshitting.

911 Operator. I've not played this myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. Beware, it's a bit of a misery simulator

Cities Skylines. Remember Sim City? This is like that, but not shit. Also loads of mods. There's a trillion DLC's for it, you don't need any of them, the base game is good enough, but the extras allow you to tinker with various parts of the city specifically.

Civ. Personally I'd pick IV complete, but they're all great, aside from VI which I don't think it complete yet?

Crusader Kings II. Have a load of kids, marry them off and become the most powerful bastard of medieval times.

Dear Esther. It's a walking sim, but one that's got an interesting story and some stunning looking areas. Perfect for those that have zero experience with mouse and keys first person controls too.

Deus Ex. Stone cold classic. Might look ropey, but a piece of gaming history.

Dungeon Defenders. This was on console way back when, but support was limited. Come get the full fat version with all the DLC, all the challenges and all the loot.

Eurotruck Simulator 2. Experience the compelling mundanity of driving around your hometown and further afield. If this is a bit rooted for you, Elite Dangerous offers the same in space, but this is also on consoles. It's not great on consoles though.

Cheating a bit here, but The Elder Scrolls and Fallout, but load them with Nexus mods. It's a lot easier than you might imagine and the possibilities are endless.

To The Moon, A Birds Story and Finding Paradise. Get ready to be kicked in the heart.

Golf With Friends. Also known as Fallout With Your Friends Over Crazy Golf. Fuck them for getting that lucky bounce, the bastards.

Kerbal Space Program. Cute on the surface, bastard hard physics work on the inside.

Papers, Please. You won! Your prize is nothing but stress and misery though. Highly recommended.

Payday 2. Another game on console that was short changed. Banger on PC though. Excellent soundtrack and one of the few games to feature a Yorkshireman in current times rather than fantasy scenes.

Total War. Just pick one, they're all grand apparently.

Torchlight II. Diablo but with a more cartoony aesthetic.

Typing of the Dead. Look, trust me when I say, this is a lot better than it sounds. Not only will it test your typing skills, but also test your typing skills under the pressure of laughing your head off at the complete vulgarity of it all.

Also anything that you might have played on consoles, specifically last gen, these games will run like shit off a shovel. Bayonetta, Vanquish, Rez anything like this will blow you away with how nice they run.

There's 100's of games really. Playing through something like Half Life or System Shock if you're interested in where things came from are worth a gander. There's DoTAII and LoL as well, but I can't recommend though. Might be worth giving an MMO a look over as well, since they work much better with mouse and keys, actually not a bad vehicle for learning mouse and keys either. Guild Wars 2 is free now, plus there's others that have a low barrier to get in. I guess it's up to what you want.

I'm just going to double the recommendation for Deus Ex. It's been a long time since I played it but it was back in 2010 and even then I was really surprised by how open it was. Found it much more interesting to get into than the Adam Jensen games which left me a little cold (tho I've heard they are good).

The original Half Life. You have Black Mesa also if you want a modernised take on the story. However there's a certain craft to the way shit pops off in the original that imo is more impressive in light of where technology and game design was. Whereas Black Mesa is HL2 revisiting the original. Sometimes the oldies are still goodies, at the very least see how they do the first couple chapters before they give you a gun.

Disco Elysium. Check out the thread on that one. It's like 'playing' a novel, if you want to get some reading in with your gaming. Your inner demons are your party members and you do 'battle' via dialogue. Fail states include getting a heart attack from over exerting yourself and killing yourself because you had a break down and embarrassed yourself in front of someone. 

Following from that: Planescape Torment. Very like Disco, the most vivid fantasy world I've experienced in any medium, and it mostly relies on text to immerse you within it. Both of these games will probably land with you if you like reading I guess, cause they are very text heavy. Disco is all text, Planescape has some combat but you won't be playing it for that.

System Shock 2. I'll be honest, I've not played much of it. But it's apparently like Alien meets Bioshock, more deep with its RPG systems than Bio. It's a 20 year old game so it will be a doddle to run.

The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind. Honestly a hard one to recommend but it's back when Bethesda games were way closer to their RPG roots, every action is a dice roll. You will know how you feel about this game in the first couple hours probably, but it's real old school and doesn't hold your hand as much as the ones made from Oblivion onwards. There are tons of mods to make the game more presentable by modern standards.

STALKER, this is another one I've not really got around to myself tbh partly cause it has lots of graphics glitches on modern hardware. But I want to play them at some point, so for my own selfishness I will recommend them on the off chance I have someone to talk to about them. Basically it's eurojank Fallout but a bit harder to get into. Get used to that term eurojank btw, it sounds dismissive but there's a lot of actually excellent games made in eastern europe. Technically a bit ropey but filled with huge ambition that you don't get in more polished AAA titles.

I've talked a lot about the Pathologic games in their own thread so I won't say anything else about them here. They are interesting, maybe not for everyone but the new one is worth trying out. Just be warned it runs like shit even on high end hardware, but it will run better than the console one. Actually maybe don't play it unless you can get it on a very good deal.

World of Warcraft. I mean it used to be amazing, it's quite polished and easy to get into now. I think you can get to level 50 (close to max level) in a couple weeks of casual questing, so it doesn't demand your attention during the levelling experience like it used to. I can't speak to the end game tho, I imagine it's horribly impenetrable with all the mechanics from the past 16 years

Titanfall 2. You've probably already played it tbh, but what if I told you that playing it with a proper mouse is better? Very easy to play but also quite fast, I found it good for getting better with M&K

I've mostly recommended older games here cause as time has gone on the PC platform has become a lot less exclusive, console gaming is dominant and it's less often now that games only end up on PC unless it's strategy. But there's lots of stuff that didn't really make the jump over to consoles or did so quite badly (HL and DE). Obviously with a capable PC you can also play console games better, tho this advantage will close a bit with the BC of the new systems

Also PCs are very viable xboxes these days, you can even play xbox games like Gears of War with a dualshock and really piss Nag off

Classics aside, I would recommend the following modern indie games:

Cuphead

Disco Elysium

Divinity: Original Sin 1 & 2
Eastshade

Fez

Firewatch

FTL Faster Than Light

Ghost of a Tale

Gorogoa

Hades

Hollow Knight