passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

iPods and iPhones

Pikman

• 5 months later...

As it's been mentioned, what do we think of apple pulling the trigger and actually removing the head phone jack? I know they'll still let people use proprietary wired headphones, and there's some benefit to wireless ones 

Personally I hope no one else follows suit, there's nothing wrong with the standard connection, and they don't need charging 

I heard about that, but just assumed immediately it was some stupid joke. Is that real then? No headphone input?

The quote was about Apple being courageous and making everything better forever for the whole world. Somebody commented that they should think about paying 13 billion in tax so we could buy more hospitals, which I thought was funny.

I remember when they said they where changing to lightening ports I was so annoyed I got an Andriod as my next phone, so that worked out well. 

I'm not sure what to make of it. For using headphones I guess it's not much of an issue as they supply a lightening wired headset with the phone and you can get the adapter to allow 3.5 mm jacks. The issue for me will be when driving as I have my phone plugged in via the 3.5 mm Jack for music and charging when using SatNav (filled both holes fnar) which obviously won't work with the 7. I know you can buy a double lightening port adapter, but that's a lot of adapters to do something I can currently do without hassle. 

The Other alternative is a Bluetooth receiver (which I also have in my car) which is fine, but it's another thing to a: turn on and b: keep charged. 

Personally for me it won't be an issue for at least 12 months plus, probably longer as I plan on running my 6 for as long as my wife's iPhone 5 keeps going. 

The waterproofing is a good thing to see, obviously not an Apply innovation but nice to have. Can't remember what else was different? Pressure sensitive home button, sure I guess I'll use that. 

This new one is on my 2 year cycle where my contract is up and I could get the new one, as I've done since the 3G came out. 3G, skip a year, 4, skip a year, 5, skip a year, 6, skip a year.

I'm not sure yet if I can be arsed with the new one, not because I want to change to Android but more that my current phone is pretty much fine. 

I'm not sure how much the lack of headphone port would affect me, I guess I would need the adaptor but my phone in my car is used via the charging port and the same in my docking station in work.

I do use it as an MP3 player wandering around town. Would have to see how the wireless ones work, I suppose.

If you can penetrate the obnoxiousness of it, this 107 second video covers the presentation in vagaries and fast edits. 

Might go go andriod again after all...

Ironically I wasn't fussed about the headphone adapter thing until they get all pissy about it in the video. 

That video is everything i hate about Apple and its products. Im not going to go on a big Apple bash in the Apple thread so will just say that there isnt much at all in that video to convince me to switch back to an Apple phone.

I didn't realise it came with an adaptor. On one hand that's a good thing, on the other it makes the whole thing even more pointless :lol:

fwiw, and not to post this as a 'pick a side' thing, especially as the phone in question tried to become a Rage Against the Machine album cover, but you can get some amazing sound out of a 3.5mm jack. My phone does hi-def sound (24bit) and the earphones that come with it support that. They're ridiculously good, probably better than my fancy, expensive, wooden earphones, but the handsfree thing means I don't like using them

The headphone Jack being taken away is just something so Apple it's unbelievable, sure you get the adapter and AirPods in the box but what happens if you lose them? That'll be £29.95 for the adapter and £129.95 for the AirPods please, bonkers.

And the water proofing, useful feature, just 5 years too late (again) won't buy an Apple product again in my life, tax dodging cunts.

Also, I'd be interested to see how Google's tax affairs stack up against Apple? The reason both companies have massive operations working out of Ireland is because of the 'tax incentives' offered by the Irish government. 

Look at me, defending the wealthiest company in the world for not paying 13 billion in tax, I'd neg myself if I could. 

I'm genuinely not trying to be fanboyish about this (although I do seem to have become the forums resident Apple Fanboi) but I don't get why people get so bent out of shape about Apple? If you don't like their products, no big deal, don't give them your money. 

I know this is a tale as old as time, but the Apple/Andriod seems to be the most vocally fought of these fights. I guess it would have been like this with Sega and Nintendo if social media had existed at the time. 

The official adapter cable is £9. An unnecessary extra £9 if you lose it but not £30. :lol:

Not that fussed that they've removed the jack. I understand the jack socket is one of the most expensive and awkward things to fix on a IPhone. So not having to worry about that is a plus. 

But i'm a tad worried about the lighting socket being used for more things. I've had to replace it twice on my 5 in the last 3 years due to wear and tear from plugging in to charge. Hopefully it's more robust.. we'll see. 

Agree with Jim. Apple/Android fanboys are the WORST. 

I think with apple it's a combination of their marketing (they "started" the rivalry with their 'I'm a pc' adverts). Possibly you've got the zealots because of that, but that's the other aspect. People overreact to criticising apple because they feel they get credit where it isn't due (someone was amazed that not only were there other mp3 players but apple didn't invent them the other day) 

As an aside I think it's a bit different on the Android side. Not that there aren't fanboys, there are, but I think it's diluted because your phone is anyone but google 

• 3 months later...

Technically got a free upgrade on o2 so been toying with the idea of getting a 7 Plus. My current phone is excellent but I just find myself quite bored with it after 14 months and fancy a change.

My biggest worry is having to download iTunes though, I can use iTunes on the parents' iMac if needs be but I really don't want to clutter my PC up with that.

Can you activate everything on setup and do all the updates via the phone itself now or do you still need to plug the phone in to iTunes? I used to detest having to wait 5 hours at a time having to update all my apps on my laptop at Uni when I last had iPhones and if that's still the case I think I'd rather not bother.

The lack of fast-charging and the battery life are 2 other potential worries too but they're more minor issues.

I haven't used iTunes on my pc for my iPhones for years now. Everything is done from the phone. If you wanted to transfer music onto the phone you would need to use iTunes. 

The charging seems quite fast on my iPhone 6. It goes from pretty much empty to well over half full in about 30ish mins I'd guess. Battery life seems pretty decent. I've had my 6 for a year and I comfortably clear a day on average usage and charge over night. 

I thought you would have gone for a google pixel or something. 

Ah OK, cheers Jim, that sounds alright then, I'm so used to updating all the apps from the phone itself now that going back and connecting to a computer would've been a ball ache, glad they've done away with that.

The charging sounds better than I thought too, is that from 0%? My current phone takes about the same amount of time from 0% but that's with my fast charger.

I am looking at the Pixel XL too but that would mean switching networks to EE which would be a bit of a hassle I'd guess, been with o2 since 2009 so barely remember what the whole switching networks stuff was like back in the day.