passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

iPods and iPhones

Pikman

So, I have a question. It seems like loads of you guys have ipod touches or iphones. Is there any difference between the 2 nowadays?

It seems to me that the phone is actually better, with its camera too? I think I'll be getting one soon, just wondering if there is anything I'm missing not just getting an ipod touch.

Thanks!

Cheers, that is why I am considering the idea. Technology is finally becoming convergent! The only downside appears to be battery life though, we'll see.. A 32GB iPhone sounds like an awesome idea to me, they are a bit expensive though

I don't know what the price difference works out to be, but a Touch is missing the obvious phone gubbins and the camera. And I think the 3G/Edge networking that goes with the phone stuff.

If you're due for a new phone, then I'd say go for it if you can afford it.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the 3rd Gen iPod Touch come with 3.1 software? Argos specs say it does. Edit: yep.

I was looking at these in Gamestation today as I have a shit load of credit and dont know what to do with it.

I like my Nokia, so could be tempted by a Touch to replace my Nano 8GB and get some games etc. Hmm, help?

Here's my 2 pence as someone who has owned both touch and phones at different points.

The phone is awesome.... but if it breaks, gets stolen, you drop it and O2 / apple won't replace it then you are in for a hefty bill and with very little options.

At least with the touch you can go a ahead and buy a new one... ok so that hurts too but not as much as a new iphone.

You also get more power with the ipod touch... especially with the new models.... and better battery life... so if it is gaming you are after then a touch is the best bet.

My phone is currently in repair after O2 decided not to honour my insurance that i have been paying for so i am naturally a bit anti the phone at the moment as its a massive hassle... i am still paying my bills AND having to cough up 80 pounds for something that is CLEARLY a hardware fault (the screen just stopped displaying properly).

I suppose the same could happen with a touch... but at least with a touch you aren't tied into a shitty 18 month contract when it all goes tits up.

Either way though... they are awesome devices and some of the games are brilliant.

The main difference aside from the speed is that with the phone obviously you can browse the web while away from wifi. Work out just how much you would use this feature and if you aren't too bothered about having your phone as a seperate device to your ipod then just get the touch.

Thanks Oliath.

I'm not too bothered about not having the phone part really, as I can use my phone for browsing if I really have to, but I tend not to when out and about. As an actual phone I'm not sure I like the iPhone as much as some others, and almost prefer something like what I already have.

The main reason I was thinking of going for a Touch over an iPhone though, is the cost. My current contract with Orange doesn't finish until April '10. You're looking at £275 for a 32GB iPhone, and then the £34 a month tariff on 18 months. I can get a £19.58 simplicity SIM card from o2 on a rolling 30 day contract (no ties) which has 600 mins, 1200 texts, and unlimited web bolt-on. I'm happy enough with my N85 at the moment so as long as I can get it unlocked then that o2 sim card is a very cheap deal.

The iPod Touch 32GB 3rd gen is £279 RRP I think (or is it actually £229 now? gamestation have them listed at £279), I doubt I could get Gamestation to match Argos price of £229, but it's worth a try I guess, although none of my local Argos stores have the new 32GB in stock at the moment.

I want it mainly to replace my Nano, and for the games and apps. It would be handy to use at home on my network, too.

EDIT: looks like the RRP of the 3rd gen 32GB is £229. I may call Gamestation tomorrow to see what they have to say.

U just rang my local Gamestation and they aren't stocking the iPod Touch at the moment. He said on the phone that they're relocating to a different place in the city soon, so may possibly get some in once they've moved.

Ah well, that's the end of that!

• 2 weeks later...

I use mine at work and at home, but can only use the wireless at home, it breaks down something like

home

Playing games

Quick net browsing

Listening to music

Reading books

Checking email

work[b/]

Playing games

Reading

Music

Movies/tv shows

Also,I'm writting this on my touch as well,it is by far the most used and useful gadget I own

thanks for the info guys :) good point about the internet stuff, i probably would use that a bit. probably would use it for music too but i already have a perfectly good mp3 player (and i don't like the idea of having to use itunes - do you still have to?) so that wouldn't be a reason to get one. i'm in no hurry though will wait for a good deal and see what happens.

Ive had the touch and then just got an iphone because of a discount my company offers (which i can use four more times if anyone is interested, the catch is I need to be there in store too) and I think that it largely depends on if you can access a wireless network most places you go. I can get a wireless network at work and so for the last year havnt really noticed the drawbacks of an iTouch. Now ive got the phone there is the added bonus of checking the net or something when im out and about, and thats pretty cool. If I didnt have the wireless id have missed it./

Because the company I work for are classed as loyal business partners I get 30% off the duration of an 02 contract, it only applies on the iPhone 3G rather than the newer 3GS, but it means that you pay about ten quid less depending on what tarrif you go for. My deal meant that I paid 98 for the phone upfront and then I pay 22 quid a month for 600 minutes and then 500 texts, which is easily enough for me considering the range of apps you can use instead of texting etc.

I can use it 6 times a year and ive already used it three times this year, but I need to be there during the transaction in an 02 shop because the card is linked to my staff ID card.