passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

iPods and iPhones

Pikman

I think you haven't needed to use iTunes for upgrading anything since the 4s from what I vaguely remember. 

Couldn't say for sure about the charging but I've never noticed it taking very long, so I guess it must be fairly quick. 

It doesn't seem to like non Apple verified chargers, but you can pick those up on Amazon now for about a tenner. Lightning cables are about £6-8 now. @Blakey

@mr lakitu but you will still need to use iTunes to set up and use the wireless syncing for music and video files. 

Obviously if you use streaming apps like Spotify you don't even need to bother setting up wifi sync. I have never bothered with my 6 as my MP3 collection is now scattered across 3 computers and portable drives. 

Just now, mr lakitu said:

You mean you'll have to use a wire? I only read hendos post tbh. Been drinking. 

I don't think that's what I meant, but now I think about it, you might need to use a wire the first time to set it up. I think iTunes as a program was more @Blakey concern/issue. Which is fair, it's a hunk of junk. 

Saying that, I've not used it for years so it may have improved. 

Well I took the plunge earlier and ordered a 7 plus, was £160 to pay off my contract and £20 to upgrade but I'll make £55 off my old phone selling it for £235 to Envirofone.

Contract is no more a month either, so yeah hopefully I'll get on with it, can trade it in for something else if I don't though. Will be weird going back to iOS after all this time.

Picked the 7 plus up yesterday.

Had a few troubles with the transfer stalling using the Move to iOS app on Android to move everything across to the iPhone but after a few attempts it eventually all went through OK.

Everything was on there once the transfer was complete, apart from a few apps like Imgur which were strangely didn't make it over, all my text history, contacts and photos were there which is what I was most pleased about, the Whatapp message history wasn't though which was a bit annoying but that's a 3rd party app so I'm not sure anything can be done there.

I was more impressed than I thought I'd be at the screen, even though its only 1080p it still pops nicely and has a good level of detail to it.

The biggest takeaway I had was how similar Android and iOS are now really, they obviously have their differences and I will miss a few very minor things like adding apps to folders from the folder itself rather than having to drag it across a few of the panels and dropping it in. I do miss the widgets of Android too, I know they're there on iOS but it seems you can't place them on any of the app panels like you can on android, loved having a full calendar open on one of the pages.

Got Apple Pay set up and placed all my reward cards in the Wallet app, probably what has impressed me the most having them all on hand in one app, when I went to subway earlier and opened the app it seemed to know I was near a subway and put the subcard first in the list to present to the cashier.

Not really bothered with Siri so far, and I couldn't get the hang of 3D touch at all for ages, kept holding my thumb on an app and nothing happening, realised I had to sharply poke it instead and it seemed to work better, good when it works but a bit unpredictable.

Also signed up for the 3 month trial of apple pay, had a play around with it and it seems just like Spotify really just with clearer menus, rarely listen to music so don't think I'll use it much but still wanted to see what it was like.

Seems to use a lot of storage though, the 32gb went down to 28 straight away and by the time I'd put everything on I was left with a poultry 9GB left which was a bit annoying, guess the 4GB of photos I put on there probably had something to do with it but 17gb used out the gate was slightly baffling.

So yeah, I'm not blown away by it but I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be, its just a nice place to be.

IMG_20170104_193623.jpg

C1Qz1hIXAAAd1yc.jpg

Yeah I know what you mean, the few times it's worked for me I've liked it and it reminded me of a right-click on a PC or something, the 'peeking' in emails is cool too, maybe I need to turn down the sensitivity a bit in the settings, think it's on 'firm' at the moment.

I thought I did have the WhatsApp messages saved to the cloud...but I guess I didn't, I assumed they'd just all reappear once I verified my phone number on the iPhone, got added to the same groups as before but all the messages weren't there.

Will do, got to remember to put a reminder on my calendar to do that. I'm just giving the Apple Music stuff a go really, never intended to pay for it as I very rarely listen to music really, it is cool though and being able to add whole albums on a whim to your music library is a cool feeling, but yeah, rarely have any time for music.

• 8 months later...

Went out for food shopping and came back with an iPhone 8 Plus. This is gonna be another tight month.

I had to get a new phone though, i’ve dropped the old one enough times that the charge socket is fucked and you have to be at the exact right angle to get a charge.

My contract ended last month, had o2 calling to get me to sign up but at £63 a month when my 6s still looks like new and excluding headphone socket issue it’s all good, I’m going to hold fire until jan but I do want a 8plus this time round.

I pay £63 per month on my current o2 contract including insurance, got my 7 Plus for another year or so so will eventually upgrade to the iPhone 9/XS(?) or Samsung Note 9/S9 or something by that time.

I thought I'd be gagging to go back to Android after the end of my 2 year contract on iOS but yeah there's something weirdly cossetting and snugly about iOS that isn't present on Android, I felt like my S6 Edge+ was just a bit boring, whereas I'm never bored with my iPhone.

• 3 months later...

I’m working in Singapore this week and my work have lent me an iPad Pro. Fuck me it is a nice machine, I’m not sure how I’m going to be able to give it back. I’ve ended up using in place of my work laptop and managed with ease to use the software I would normally. Been having a look on the apple store and there is no way I can afford one. 

• 7 months later...

Just upgraded to an iPhone 8plus, my poor 6s was suffering and looked like battery failure was about to happen, the plus is stunning! Love the camera and just the size, bigger than a phone but smaller than an iPad, it has effectively replaced my iPad for most stuff.