passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

iPods and iPhones

Pikman

• 2 years later...

So apple making it more like android has convinced you to stay with apple? Doesn' take much for some scumbags.

I've been an iPod/iPhone user for 5 years. Do you know how much investment that is? Quite a lot. As much as I want a change, I'm reluctant to start all over again with a new App Store. I can see you point as well though.

I would say I am tied and that is helping me to stay but there are 2 other factors that spring to mind for me

The App store vs the Play store - sure it's miles better than it used to be now. Still though, when I look at products I own that work with smartphones, they all work with iOS, some with android..

The fact that I could keep this phone for years now and always be able to upgrade to the latest OS.

well I'm not sure how usable the latest os would be once your device is a couple of years old, from experience they get left behind pretty quick.

fwiw I actually see why people wouldn't want to switch. I'm not sure how many apps any of us use regularly that we've spent a lot of money on, the properly useful ones tend to be free. But it's the waving good bye to the catalogue, same reason dumping this generation of consoles is going to be a pain

That and there's nothing between the best phones now, it's not like you're turning down a hugely better experience. Y'know, aside from not being tied to itunes

This is what gets me though, the new OS is clearly made for their next phone, it doesnt work like its meant to on the older phones, therefore you will have to upgrade to their not yet released phone to make the most of their current operating system, its diabolical.

I had an apple phone for the same period of time Jimbo, its just a bullet you will have to bite, because it effectively means you will never ever have any phone other than the iphone, that reason is never going to be invalid. The longer you continue on down that road the worse it will be when the eventual bust happens. We are all savvy gamers here, if this was some kind of game mechanic, whereby you could see you were ploughing into a progression tree that would eventually lock you inexorably into that tree, regardless of whether it was the best thing, then you wouldnt do it.

As Ben says, ultimately its not like there is that much in it, its just things like their approach to customers that pisses me off, and caused me to move. iTunes is just an absolutely terrible piece of software that has no thought whatsoever for the user's benefit, its all geared towards the best interests of apple, if any fledgling company tried to get away with things that apple do at the moment it would die on its arse and rightly so.

In my eyes its a very similar situation to the two consoles coming out soon, it looks like Microsoft havnt been able to get away with it though, although as with apple a lot of people will still go with them for a whole host of 'just because' type reasons. At the end of the day its up to whoever to go with what phone they want, and im sort of talking like there are such things as valid or invalid reasons, its really just what the most important thing to that person is, if your main draw is that the phone MUST BE BLUE then you are going to go with the phone that is the most blue and if you get what you wanted then thats the end of it really.

I haven't opened iTunes for literally months, probably since I got my laptop late last year.

You don't need to use iTunes anymore, you can update everything through the phone, which is what I do.

All the music I listen to comes through Spotify or Soundcloud.

All the podcasts I listen to get downloaded straight to the phone.

All the apps get updated and downloaded through the phone.

At this stage I don't think you even need to connect a new iPhone to your computer even once.