Sign in to follow this  
Pikman

iPods and iPhones

So, I have a question. It seems like loads of you guys have ipod touches or iphones. Is there any difference between the 2 nowadays?

It seems to me that the phone is actually better, with its camera too? I think I'll be getting one soon, just wondering if there is anything I'm missing not just getting an ipod touch.

Thanks!

i use an ipod touch and constantly wish i had an iphone. I use mine all the time and am always cursing the fact i have to take a phone around with me as well.

Cheers, that is why I am considering the idea. Technology is finally becoming convergent! The only downside appears to be battery life though, we'll see.. A 32GB iPhone sounds like an awesome idea to me, they are a bit expensive though

The battery life does suck a bit when playing 3D games and when you first get it you'll be messing around so much you'll be charging up all the time. It lasts ages when just listening to music though and it charges back up pretty quickly too.

I don't know what the price difference works out to be, but a Touch is missing the obvious phone gubbins and the camera. And I think the 3G/Edge networking that goes with the phone stuff.

If you're due for a new phone, then I'd say go for it if you can afford it.

I'm due a new phone on the 5th Nov, reseaching now in my excitement :)

Toying with a Palm Pre or an Android phone too, loads to choose from, nothing is easy these days.

yeah it does, it was £6 its now £2.99. I still haven't bothered to upgrade mine yet, doesn't really seem worth it.

Does the 3rd Gen iPod Touch come with 3.1 software? Argos specs say it does. Edit: yep.

I was looking at these in Gamestation today as I have a shit load of credit and dont know what to do with it.

I like my Nokia, so could be tempted by a Touch to replace my Nano 8GB and get some games etc. Hmm, help?

Here's my 2 pence as someone who has owned both touch and phones at different points.

The phone is awesome.... but if it breaks, gets stolen, you drop it and O2 / apple won't replace it then you are in for a hefty bill and with very little options.

At least with the touch you can go a ahead and buy a new one... ok so that hurts too but not as much as a new iphone.

You also get more power with the ipod touch... especially with the new models.... and better battery life... so if it is gaming you are after then a touch is the best bet.

My phone is currently in repair after O2 decided not to honour my insurance that i have been paying for so i am naturally a bit anti the phone at the moment as its a massive hassle... i am still paying my bills AND having to cough up 80 pounds for something that is CLEARLY a hardware fault (the screen just stopped displaying properly).

I suppose the same could happen with a touch... but at least with a touch you aren't tied into a shitty 18 month contract when it all goes tits up.

Either way though... they are awesome devices and some of the games are brilliant.

The main difference aside from the speed is that with the phone obviously you can browse the web while away from wifi. Work out just how much you would use this feature and if you aren't too bothered about having your phone as a seperate device to your ipod then just get the touch.

Thanks Oliath.

I'm not too bothered about not having the phone part really, as I can use my phone for browsing if I really have to, but I tend not to when out and about. As an actual phone I'm not sure I like the iPhone as much as some others, and almost prefer something like what I already have.

The main reason I was thinking of going for a Touch over an iPhone though, is the cost. My current contract with Orange doesn't finish until April '10. You're looking at £275 for a 32GB iPhone, and then the £34 a month tariff on 18 months. I can get a £19.58 simplicity SIM card from o2 on a rolling 30 day contract (no ties) which has 600 mins, 1200 texts, and unlimited web bolt-on. I'm happy enough with my N85 at the moment so as long as I can get it unlocked then that o2 sim card is a very cheap deal.

The iPod Touch 32GB 3rd gen is £279 RRP I think (or is it actually £229 now? gamestation have them listed at £279), I doubt I could get Gamestation to match Argos price of £229, but it's worth a try I guess, although none of my local Argos stores have the new 32GB in stock at the moment.

I want it mainly to replace my Nano, and for the games and apps. It would be handy to use at home on my network, too.

EDIT: looks like the RRP of the 3rd gen 32GB is £229. I may call Gamestation tomorrow to see what they have to say.

Just make sure its the new model..... the 3rd gen... you are buying since it has a faster chip in it.

Pretty sure most places will only be stocking the new models and honestly no idea how you can tell!

U just rang my local Gamestation and they aren't stocking the iPod Touch at the moment. He said on the phone that they're relocating to a different place in the city soon, so may possibly get some in once they've moved.

Ah well, that's the end of that!

would you guys still recommend one of these if it was only for the games? and if you were mostly only going to play it in the house?

thinking about an 8gb touch

I use mine at work and at home, but can only use the wireless at home, it breaks down something like

home

Playing games

Quick net browsing

Listening to music

Reading books

Checking email

work[b/]

Playing games

Reading

Music

Movies/tv shows

Also,I'm writting this on my touch as well,it is by far the most used and useful gadget I own

would you guys still recommend one of these if it was only for the games? and if you were mostly only going to play it in the house?

thinking about an 8gb touch

No. Becau... Well, just no. Although I cant imagine you buying one and not using it as an ipod, email checker or web surfer.

thanks for the info guys :) good point about the internet stuff, i probably would use that a bit. probably would use it for music too but i already have a perfectly good mp3 player (and i don't like the idea of having to use itunes - do you still have to?) so that wouldn't be a reason to get one. i'm in no hurry though will wait for a good deal and see what happens.

Ive had the touch and then just got an iphone because of a discount my company offers (which i can use four more times if anyone is interested, the catch is I need to be there in store too) and I think that it largely depends on if you can access a wireless network most places you go. I can get a wireless network at work and so for the last year havnt really noticed the drawbacks of an iTouch. Now ive got the phone there is the added bonus of checking the net or something when im out and about, and thats pretty cool. If I didnt have the wireless id have missed it./