passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

RivaOni

About a year later and finished :D

Great game, overall really enjoyed it, but I still think 4 is better, like DC says the story /characters are better, some of the social link stories in 3 just aren't that good IMO, and that's a big part of what makes 4 so awesome. Theres some great bits though, really liked the online game s-link. Didn't really have any problems with the combat playing on the easiest mode. Did take over control of everyone in the final battle though just because they were doing some silly stuff occasionally. For example one would do a move that cost about 150 hp, then another one would heal them, when they would have been better off just doing a normal attack each.

There is a Bad/good ending like in 4 but it's really easy to get to the good one in this and not obscure at all like in 4. Although something odd happens at the end so maybe I did miss something...

I sort of spoiled the story a bit by leaving it so long then when I started again a month or so ago it was straight into a big plot point before I could remember exactly what was going on. going to checkout the cutscenes on YouTube now I think.

I actually did a bit of proper fusing this time too so I had some cool personas, but only occasionally, not put that much time into that part of it, usually just making sure I have all the bases covered.

Glad p5 is probably still years away, I can't play games this long very often. Will probably pick up the fighting game at the end of the month though.

Lots of talk above with people half way through, did you guys finish it in the end?

• 2 months later...

Lots of talk above with people half way through, did you guys finish it in the end?

Yup. At about 5am on a Sunday morning. <_<

I think I've said a bit in this thread already by a younger and stupider me, but in this case I think my opinion still stands on it. The things I really like about the story are a bit spoiler-y so I'll leave it out. But what I will say is the story really picks up in P3 later on and it was at this point I really started to feel that it rises above P4 at the end... but then P4 is still more consistent. P3 dips a bit in the middle.

But what I wanted to come here about is "The Answer", a new bit of content that is available on the FES edition (dunno if it's on the PSP version too). In this extra you play as Aigis, the robot girl. I won't go into specifics because of spoilers as the story does take place right after the events of the main game.

I heard about that you played as her when the FES edition came out I was puzzled to why they'd pick her as she spends most of the game by being one of the poorer characters but she does come in her own a bit in the end so I was interested in following her story up. I guess it's a bit trite if you've got a head full of Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell as her story is very much the "robot finding a purpose" one but I don't so much (other than being aware of those things) so I was interested in following it up.

The problem is when you start The Answer it puts you back to level 20 and you don't have good abilities and the enemies are arranged in such a way that always requires quite a bit of work and thought. Maybe it will get easier but they've really been cunts with the arrangements so I dunno... you can rarely just knock a whole team of enemies over, and the areas you explore a much bigger so encounters are more likely.

From what I can tell so far I don't think The Answer will have the whole social link part of it, it'll just be exploring randomised dungeons and fighting which I don't know if that's what I want. What I'd do playing the main game is cram loads of dungeon crawling when I was in the mood for it and spend the rest of my in-game weeks just going to school, chatting to mates and making young girls swoon over me. With the latter gone I'm not quite as interested... and it's harder.

I may just go back to Persona 4 again as I never finished it, but I'm a bit hazy with the story now so I may have to start again, but then I don't think I can handle another 70 hours like P3 took me.

• 3 years later...

My PS2 controller arrived so I switched to this as I want to play through my PS2 backlog a bit more than my Gamecube backlog at the moment. It's hard to believe it's been seven years since I first played Persona 4. I never managed to return to P4 or really play much of anything on the PS2 in all that time. But this has a lot of things that I remember from P4. I've played around three hours which included my first night in Tartarus and my first chance to explore the town. I love that this is distinctly Japanese and isn't afraid to push its story, even if that means having large parts that are closer to a visual novel than a game. I love everything about it really.

At the moment my character just has two personas, which I actually can fuse but I think I'll hold off for a while, I want to level up the two I have for a bit. I remember when I played Persona 4 I was looking at fusion tables on gamefaqs before making fusions, I don't know will I bother this time, I might just see how it goes.

I love the title screen music:

Getting hooked on this game like a drug. I have a shit ton of social links now and I've just unlocked Elizabeth's missions in the velvet room. At the moment I have three personas which gives me a fair variety of fusion options but I don't want to fuse any of them because I would lose useful skills. This game is so good. I've reached the first warp point in Tartarus, I need to push on now and get to the higher levels so I can complete the timed quests.

• 2 years later...

i played this on psp originally, got a bit bored in the middle, gave up, and finished it later, seems like from the above i liked it in the end, which is good, because i decided to play it again on ps2 because i missed out on all the cut scenes and stuff on psp...and i can definitley see why i gave up on it first time, think im getting close to where i gave up before, and it does get a bit boring here imo. there's some really good story stuff and some funny bits but it's all clumped together leaving lots of empty bits, it's a long game.

9 hours ago, spatular said:

there's some really good story stuff and some funny bits but it's all clumped together leaving lots of empty bits, it's a long game

That's basically my experience with most JRPGs

• 4 weeks later...

^ yeah i can't disagree with that, although i haven't played that many, the others i have played do a better job of keeping things interesting than persona 3 imo.

i stuck with it and not sure that was a good idea, i got pretty fed up with it for a while but near the end it started to pull me back in and i was enjoying it again, anyway it's done now.