passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

New TV

retroed

My Hannspree 37" LCD HDTV arrived today! I haven't had chance to play with the settings much as of yet, but I'm pretty darn impressed with it out of the box. A bargain TV for 400 notes.

360 is HDMI'd up, and I need a Wii Component cable now. If anyone wants a Joytech 360 RGB Scart or Wii Official RGB Scart, I'm your man!

tvsizedgp9.jpg

Excuse the mess, and say hello to Alfie!

Wii component cable Ed?

Heed my moanings in the VC thread!!

If you have any games pre-Link to the past (i.e. Mario World etc, all the early VC releases) then they wont work as they are not component compatible :angry:

whoa, deep breath, and relax.

Yeah, it might be worth you searching around as ive heard that some third party component cables arent affected by this problem - i believe its because the official one only runs at 60hz ...

sorry. will stop before i start ranting :)

Very nice TV Ed, very nice.

Although the Wii does look all grainy and shite on a HDTV dont it? ;)

Cheers all. :)

Well I've had a little tinker with it and Freeview doesn't look too bad now, although it's nowhere near as nice as my Toshiba CRT. This was to be expected, though. DVD looks very nice via RGB, better than I thought it would. I am yet to try component as I don't have any leads.

The 360 via 720p HDMI, however, looks SUPERB. No screen tearing or blurring that I have noticed so far (I have tried PGR4, Halo 3 and Pac-Man CE), and on the whole I am more than impressed. It really does look pretty darn amazing. So sharp.

I am yet to try the Wii, but I shall be buying a component cable for it as I've read that's the best way to go. Shin, I've read that quite a few of the VC games have had updates that support component? If not, I'm not overly bothered as I don't have a great deal, and could always switch back to composhite(!) if need be.

This TV does have a backlight, so the blacks are not as black as they could be. It looks fine on the 360, but on freeview it's a bit more obvious, although not so bad that it is unwatchable. You notice the backlight when you look at the TV from a wide angle, as the picture seems quite bright. Viewing straight on as you should be though, it is fine.

Overall I don't think you will find a better 37" LCD TV for four hundred quid (or 32" for 300).

I am right in thinking that any updates to VC games i own will appear in the Titles You've Downloaded section?

Cos there's no update for three of the VC games i own - the most harrowing one being Super Mario World, i want to play it but i can go back to composhite!!

The official component cable only seems to run my N64 VC games, and Bomberman '93. I downloaded the update for SMB NES etc, but it doesn't help. And none of my SNES games work! I guess I'll have to keep the RGB/composite lead nearby for times when I fancy some retro VC action.

Anyways, here are some pics of my TV in gaming action:

Hi-Res SMW on Super Famicom (RGB )

Hi-Res Pilotwings on Super Famicom (RGB )

Who said retro consoles look shit on HDTV's? And a couple 360:

Hi-Res PGR4 on 360 (720p)

Hi-Res Halo 3 on 360 (720p)

Not bad, eh? B)

I really need a new TV ive been planning for months, and as i told Ed when i finally found the one i wanted, for a LOT less money than it should have been, the transaction has been 'unsuccesful'.

Its like someone cancelled a copy of my favourite game, without saying why. Boo hoo.

Part Time Gamer wrote:

You really can't keep up.

I bought my HDTV three years ago for a real decent price, as anything as large (or almost as large) in LCD or Plasma was easily triple the price, but now it has came down to about double the price I paid. So yes, prices are getting lower.