Urahara

Films

I think for Sully, if money was no object, Tom Hanks from... well... Sully would at least look the part.  But I think he could play him well, too.

160823155921-tom-hanks-sully-exlarge-169

Though Stephen Lang there did a better job than I was expecting.

But at least now there is a Nathan Fillion playing Drake out there which people have been asking for for ten years.  Even if it is just in a short film.

I heard a while back they were making an Uncharted film starring Tom Holland as a young Drake but I've not heard anything since.

I think i would probably go for someone like JK Simmons for Sully.

I watched the new film Shoplifters by Hirokazu Kore-eda last night. It’s a typical film of his I think (a kind of very layered human drama) and one of his best. One feature of his films is that he seems to be excellent at getting children to act (like in the film Nobody Knows) and there is more excellent acting from children in this film. 

A film based on Mark Hogancamp/Marwencol coming later this year. It's an interesting approach to the story, but I'm not sure about the living dolls bit, yet.

Also, everyone should watch the documentary Marwencol, it's incredible.

Yeah, Marwencol is really good.  I'm still not sure why you'd adapt the story into a film with the documentary being quite cinematic anyway.  Maybe the fantastical approach will give it it's own take on the subject.

I got free Prime recently so I've been making use of it by watching a few films on there.

The Death of Stalin is a comedy from Armando Ianucci (can't believe I spelt that right first time) and I think I was kinda disappointed by it.  Maybe I was expecting something else but it didn't work for me as much as I thought it would, especially since I like a lot of his other stuff.

I watched Free Fire, the action film from Ben Wheatly.  It was fine.  There is definitely so cool bits but they're a little too few and far between.  Quite funny at times, though.

I also saw Colossol which I liked quite a bit.  It gets a bit messy in the third act but I think it played with the subject matter in a weirdly fun and abstract way without taking away from the seriousness.  Yeah, I think it's good.

Finally, I watched Arrival again.  It's the first time I've seen it since it was in the cinema and it's still one of my favourite sci-fi films.  Maybe I've just noticed but I think with the likes of this, Blade Runner 2049 and Annihilation (amongst others) we're in a great time for sci-fi.

I really liked Colossal, I think Mr Lakitu did too. It's not the film the trailers made it out to be 

I've watched a few films over the last day or so. Ghost Stories, which is a British horror film written one of the people behind the League of Gentlemen. It's fantastic, really well done, and the sort of clever, quirky story you expect from them. I won't say any more than that other than there's a shot where Martin Freeman is taller than someone, which I don't think I've ever seen in a film before

Also watched Rampage, which isn't absolute shit but I'm sure Rock 'The Duane' Johnson has probably put out a better film in the past year or so that's almost identical, it's one of those films. 

I also went to watch Hereditary, which I really enjoyed. If I hadn't just watched Ghost Stories I'd be raving about it, I think the smart things it does would have stood out more. Anyway, it's quite long, and quite a slow horror. There's shots that are full on aping Kubrick, and are the sort of thing you'd study in a film studies class as to why they were used. It's good, it definitely isn't quite the film I was expecting it to be, which is a good thing. There's a great bit where Gabriel Byrne forgets that he's not supposed to be Irish too, he's usually pretty good with his accents

Watching the entirety of the Kingdom Hearts series on YT and the trailers for KH3 have compelled me to go on a bit of a Disney/Pixar film binge.

This started at the cinema on Tuesday with Incredibles 2 which I liked but didn’t really love.

I then watched Frozen and whilst it has its moments it was ok and charming enough but not fantastic by any means in my view.

Moved on to Finding Dory which I’ve had recorded on my Sky Q box forever and absolutely adored it, it truly is a charming, magnificent and surprisingly funny film, liked it more than Finding Nemo which I saw years back.

I then moved on to Monsters University and am about 30 minutes in. Still got Cars 3, Moana and Zootropolis to watch from my Sky Q collection.

Moana and Zootroplis are both really good films. Moana has an excellent song by Jermaine Clement as a bling obsessed kraken Crab. 

Mini Boxy is currently a bit obsessed with Frozen. He's only seen the film a few times, but we have the songs on constant loop at the moment. They're not bad Disney songs, but I can't get them out of my head. From the Disney songs we listen to on Spotify, Mulan has the best ones. 

Cars 3 was fucking awful. My son loves cars/Cars and even gets bored half way in and wanders off. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Moana and Zootroplis are both really good films. Moana has an excellent song by Jermaine Clement as a bling obsessed kraken. 

Yes they are.

Spoiler

tenor (2).gif

How can a film like Battleships be so shit but so enjoyable at the time? It has so many recognisable faces in it as well, the people that got involved must have known they were making a stinker, but just went along with it because they knew it was going to be a complete clusterfuck of a film.

Just got around to watching War for the the Planet of the Apes, Jesus wept these films are so sad... Easily the best trilogy of films of modern times. Every one is great in it's own way...

7 hours ago, Blakey said:

I then moved on to Monsters University and am about 30 minutes in. Still got Cars 3, Moana and Zootropolis to watch from my Sky Q collection.

I wasn't impressed by Monsters University. I fucking loved Monsters, Inc. and still do, but U was pointless to me.

Cars 3 was alright, but it'll always hold a special place for me no matter what because it was the first film I took the little man to see.

Moana was pretty fucking awesome. So much better than Frozen, although not as good as Tangled - give that a look if you haven't seen it. It's topical too, because it's in KH3.

Zootropolis had some fantastic moments. From Frozen puns to allegories for racism, to some great sequences involving *insert animal here (will mention once you've seen it)*, it was all so well put together.

Finally got around to watching The Last Jedi last night. It's ok as a film on its own, but awful as a Star Was film.

The time, the direction, everything, it just didn't feel like the sci-fi series I grew up with. I know this new trilogy wants to carve it's own path, but at least the prequels felt like Star Wars, even if they were full of stuffy dialogue.

Don't get me wrong, there's some cool moments throughout (I really liked the Kylo Rey story and scenes - especially the one involving lightsabers), but it felt like a ripoff of the series, one with just enough changed to avoid a lawsuit. I'm not a fan of this one, although I'm intrigued to see how the series ends.

Also,

Spoiler

I really liked Luke's death. The peaceful death like Yoda was a nice throwback.

Leia's superman moment was fucking stupid though. She's Force sensitive, she's never had Force powers before. Where'd they come from?

No sign of Godzuki, thank Christ.